The Student Room Group

How to get rid of a guy?

Met a guy on tinder from uni who I'd seen around a lot, met him once & blah blah happened. He's from america and went back there for the summer.
Kept talking to him a lot and snapchatting etc.

Eventually I realised that there was not too much point continuing because I can't have a relationship with someone from the USA, and no point being FWB because he wasn't that great tbh, not all that attractive (although we did get on v. well but that is not much help)

So I stopped replying on whatsapp (and I went away so didn't have time). A week later he messaged again, and yesterday tried to add me on FB (jeez)

How is best to let it go? I was just going to ignore the messages as I don't see him around too much anyway. But I dunno, what is nicest I suppose? Have no clue what his intentions are but.

Scroll to see replies

Chop him up into small pieces and put him in a bigbag, tie it to concrete bricks and throw it in the river :smile:

Okay, maybe not that...

Just ignoring it is probably the best way, it's a tough one. Either that or you could literally just say what you've said here to him, if you're feeling honest.
I'd want you to just be honest with me, but of course that might not necessarily apply to him.
Reply 3
Just tell him "really sorry but I can't see this going anywhere. Nice to talk to you but I'm not really interested."
Original post by Anonymous
Met a guy on tinder from uni who I'd seen around a lot, met him once & blah blah happened. He's from america and went back there for the summer.

Eventually I realised that there was not too much point continuing because I can't have a relationship with someone from the USA, and no point being FWB because he wasn't that great tbh, not all that attractive (although we did get on v. well but that is not much help)

So I stopped replying on whatsapp (and I went away so didn't have time). A week later he messaged again, and yesterday tried to add me on FB (jeez)

How is best to let it go? I was just going to ignore the messages as I don't see him around too much anyway. But I dunno, what is nicest I suppose? Have no clue what his intentions are but.

Isn't that whats important though (In bold) Yeah ok he may not be great looking, but who cares? If you get on well with him then keep talking to him perhaps?

To just ignore him because he is in the USA and you can't have a relationship or that he is not that good looking is stupid in my opinion. But then again that is my opinion. Im just being honest.
Ban transatlantic flights
Reply 6
Original post by Hachik0
Isn't that whats important though (In bold) Yeah ok he may not be great looking, but who cares? If you get on well with him then keep talking to him perhaps?

To just ignore him because he is in the USA and you can't have a relationship or that he is not that good looking is stupid in my opinion. But then again that is my opinion. Im just being honest.

Ah I know, that's why I didn't particularly care that my friends didn't think he was all that attractive.
But a relationship cross atlantic is somewhat pointless no? Not to mention the fact that he will be working in the USA while my degree restricts me to the UK. And he finishes his masters next year while I still have 2 years of my degree left.
I dunno, while it's good to be able to talk well; what is the point if no relationship or fwb will come out of it?

Would you be happy just staying friends with him or do you think he wants a relationship
just tell him ffs , why is it so hard to be honest ?

Sorry I don't like you .

It hurts less being rejected then being ignored etc and will help him get over you
I would just ignore, although I only do this because it's easier for me really. Maybe if he continues after you ignore for a bit he needs to be told but they get the message eventually.
Original post by fatherdougal
Would you be happy just staying friends with him or do you think he wants a relationship

Original post by blueskyblue

Sorry I don't like you .

It hurts less being rejected then being ignored etc and will help him get over you

In all fairness; I don't think he wants/ed a relationship? I can't be sure tbh. Plus he is something like ~8 years older than me.

He also got pushy sometimes asking for photos on snapchat too .. little immature and annoying :/ I didn't mind volunteering when I was bored but no need to be pushy.

P.s. Did not mean to sound rude, but figured the title would get more attention and also wanted to keep it brief :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by blueskyblue

Sorry I don't like you .

Im in full agreement. People lieing or ignoring someone rather than man up and being honest is pathetic.

Stop playing him - be honest and move on.
Ah I know, that's why I didn't particularly care that my friends didn't think he was all that attractive.
But a relationship cross atlantic is somewhat pointless no? Not to mention the fact that he will be working in the USA while my degree restricts me to the UK. And he finishes his masters next year while I still have 2 years of my degree left.
I dunno, while it's good to be able to talk well; what is the point if no relationship or fwb will come out of it?

Yeah, i mean, it's not about what your friends think. If you still like the guy and he is still interested in you, which he seems at the moment then stick with it. If you do decide that its not working then i think the best thing you can do is to tell him the truth and be honest and leave on good terms.

Hope this helps somewhat. :smile:
In all fairness; I don't think he wants/ed a relationship? I can't be sure tbh. Plus he is something like ~8 years older than me.

He also got pushy sometimes asking for photos on snapchat too .. little immature and annoying :/ I didn't mind volunteering when I was bored but no need to be pushy.

P.s. Did not mean to sound rude, but figured the title would get more attention and also wanted to keep it brief :smile:

1) Hey , i'm afraid I'm just not ready for anything right now , sorry if it seemed I led you on.

2) Hey , im sorry but I just don't think this is going to work

3) **** off i'm not interested

There you go , take your pic.

Ignoring a guy is really bitchy and petty and does him much more harm then rejecting him would , it can really crush someones esteem.

Well if you don't want that type of friendship and you're not happy tell him. Its better to be honest than anything

Did he want to go out with you? Did he only want to be your friend? Why can't you just be friends or do you use people and dispose of them if they're not useful?
Reply 16

Tell him to leave you alone. Report if possible that he is still talking to you if he does. Block?
m8 fck off orite or ill rek u orite

Or you could just be like I don't like you, cause I would much rather feel hurt for a few weeks over the fact that I was rejected, rather than be ignored and get no closure forever.
Original post by Flyingaround
Did he want to go out with you? Did he only want to be your friend? Why can't you just be friends or do you use people and dispose of them if they're not useful?

I don't think so to either. As I said it was just a guy from tinder and I never got the impression it was serious. I only met him once. And friends don't tend to send dick picks haha. If anything I was more useful to him.
I just don't see the point in pursuing something with no purpose.

Also I date other guys so it's not very practical.

I guess I could just say that tbf.
I think people are assuming it's more serious than it is; I met him once at his place and stayed over; snapchatted and chatted a little is all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending