The Student Room Group

Parents expect me to pay everything

I only have £300 a month and my parents expect me to pay for everything. I've already spent £150 on flights for an opening day in England, then next month i'll have to spend £100 for driving lessons which basically means i've got nothing left.

Yet they refuse to pay £38 for a remark.. at 18 I don't think this is fair. My father is not poor at all making around about £50,000 on a pension fund so I don't see how they cannot pay this. My parents go on as if £300 is a lot of money and its really really not enough to last a month.

Scroll to see replies

Do they give you the £300 or do you have a job?
I'm guessing they're trying to teach you to budget, which is fair enough. A lot of life's expenses are boring and eat into your fun money :P However if you have a lot of educational expenses this month, why not sit down and talk to them, and explain that, and ask if they could give or loan you a little bit extra right now? If you ask the question in a mature and reasonable way, they should at least consider it.
no it's not unfair. You should have thought about the possibility of having a remark and put aside money for it. Then again, it's not like you're an adult or anything who should be able to handle money...oh wait :/
Reply 4
If they are giving you 300 as pocket money then you should pay because that is plenty. If they were giving you a much smaller allowance (less than 50) then they ought to pay for things like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Kitty Pimms
I'm guessing they're trying to teach you to budget, which is fair enough. A lot of life's expenses are boring and eat into your fun money :P However if you have a lot of educational expenses this month, why not sit down and talk to them, and explain that, and ask if they could give or loan you a little bit extra right now? If you ask the question in a mature and reasonable way, they should at least consider it.

They don't even consider it. They will only give my sister money because she doesn't work which is fine.

I am 18 and I have already paid for flights yet they refuse to pay for a remark of my examinations...My parents are very tight. I question if they are going to fund my university in the future. Most students I know have had their cars insured or a car bought to them yet I must use this £300 to get a car. Yeah good luck with that.

(a lot of these parents don't even make half of what my parents make either).
(edited 9 years ago)
You don't have to take driving lesson you are choosing to.

That aside, if that is their policy than complaining won't help nearly as much as getting a job would....
Reply 7
Original post by Frostyjoe
I only have £300 a month and my parents expect me to pay for everything. I've already spent £150 on flights for an opening day in England, then next month i'll have to spend £100 for driving lessons which basically means i've got nothing left.

Yet they refuse to pay £38 for a remark.. at 18 I don't think this is fair. My father is not poor at all making around about £50,000 on a pension fund so I don't see how they cannot pay this. My parents go on as if £300 is a lot of money and its really really not enough to last a month.

You sound like a little ****ing brat. Do they give you the £300?
You sound quite fortunate to me. More fortunate than most that's for sure. Put the driving lessons off for another time. That's what I had to do.
They don't even consider it. They will only give my sister money because she doesn't work which is fine.

I am 18 and I have already paid for flights yet they refuse to pay for a remark of my examinations...My parents are very tight. I question if they are going to fund my university in the future. Most students I know have had their cars insured or a car bought to them yet I must use this £300 to get a car. Yeah good luck with that.

I know someone asked above if the 300 is money from them or from a job, and I think it's a valid question. If that's your allowance, in effect, then I think it's fair that they expect you to pay for things like remarks from that allowance.

Assuming that's the case, I can see why you're pissed off, but I also don't think it's unfair. It's also not necessarily relevant what your parents make - unless you know how much they pay towards their mortgage, towards food, bills, family holidays and so on, what they earn probably isn't as relevant as what they pay out in other ways to support you. It goes quickly!

I do think though that if you have a problem with a specific aspect of the arrangement, talking to them would be a good idea. There's nothing wrong with saying 'I am really grateful for all your help and I appreciate the lessons you are trying to teach me about working for things, but I have this specific problem' (like extra educational expenses, needing a deposit for a car, etc) and asking if there's any agreement you can come to for exceptional expenses. Would they for example consider giving you a one-off amount if you do really well in your exams, or allowing you to earn an extra amount by helping them with something?
rich white kids
You sound like a spoiled brat. When I was 18 I was living away from my parents and did not receive any financial help from them. Learn to prioritise with your money and do some growing up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
... get a job?
Sounds like the women on TSR hate you OP
You're an adult, pay for your own stuff.

It's pretty unfair that they give your sister, who doesn't work, money and don't give you money because you actually have a job. It's like they're punishing hard work. Explain this to them.
Original post by ByronicHero
You don't have to take driving lesson you are choosing to.

That aside, if that is their policy than complaining won't help nearly as much as getting a job would....

Original post by hotliketea
... get a job?

He's already said he has a job.
Reply 16
Exactly. And how am I rich? LOL
Original post by ldsbabe
You sound like a little ****ing brat. Do they give you the £300?
You sound quite fortunate to me. More fortunate than most that's for sure. Put the driving lessons off for another time. That's what I had to do.

How on earth is he a brat, or fortunate? He earns his own money and his parents refuse to pay got anything, not even educational expenses like a £38 remark.
Original post by joker12345

If he literally does not have the capacity to work more then fair enough, but the car point stands.
Original post by joker12345

I must be going blind...where did he say he has a job?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending