The Student Room Group

Got my AS Results back. Don't know what degree to do. *Help please*

Hi there,

So, I got my AS Results back and they're as follows:

Biology- A
Chemistry- B (being remarked currently)
Art- A
Maths- B

To be honest I was really hoping for 4 A's, but now that I haven't, this has made my degree decision far too difficult, but also I'm not sure what to drop for next year. Ideally I want to drop maths, and keep art because I love art, however I don't know if this will jeopardise my chances of a getting into a good uni.

I'm between a few courses I would like to study. These are:

Psychology
Biochemistry
Biology
Social Sciences

They are ranked in order of preferred degree, Psychology being top choice.

Do I need maths to apply for those? Is it worth retaking some of my maths modules even if I am not taking it next year to bump AS up to an A?

I got 10 A*'s in my GCSE's, so I'm hoping that will make my application look better. Please, if you have any advice on what to do, send it my way!

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

I have no idea about the other three, but 100% you don't need Maths A-Level to do a Psychology Degree. Retaking would be good, but that's a lot of exams in a small space of time and might jeopardise your A2 exams.
Reply 2
Great, thanks. Good to hear. Anyone else have any more insight please?
Reply 3
Do Economics.
Reply 4
Original post by J Rumble
Hi there,

Biology- A
Art- A
Maths- B

To be honest I was really hoping for 4 A's, but now that I haven't, this has made my degree decision far too difficult, but also I'm not sure what to drop for next year. Ideally I want to drop maths, and keep art because I love art, however I don't know if this will jeopardise my chances of a getting into a good uni.

Psychology
Biochemistry
Biology
Social Sciences

Do I need maths to apply for those? Is it worth retaking some of my maths modules even if I am not taking it next year to bump AS up to an A?

I got 10 A*'s in my GCSE's, so I'm hoping that will make my application look better. Please, if you have any advice on what to do, send it my way!

Thanks.

Lol no one cares about GCSEs...
Reply 5
First of all well done on your AS results, they're fantastic grades!

As for the degree choice my advice would be to talk to your subject teachers and current uni students (on here or at open days) about what the courses are like and the career prospects they offer to help you decide which appeals to you the most so you can then start deciding what unis you'd like to apply to.

I know it's quite a short space of time to make a lot of big decisions but the worst thing you can do is rush yourself - take your time and don't make any decisions you're not completely 100% happy with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AIVARB
Lol no one cares about GCSEs...

Funny you say so...because GCSES are considered A LOT! :/
Reply 7
Hi there,

Biology- A
Art- A
Maths- B

Psychology
Biochemistry
Biology
Social Sciences

Thanks.

Well, going by your grades and preferred choices I would say biochemistry. Also, it's what you do with your degree, not what degree would offer the most favourable outcome with regards to job opportunities. Ultimately, you have to enjoy your degree in order to do your utmost best (math isn't a compulsory subject for psychology/social science)
Reply 8
Original post by KittyRe-play

ALevels are looked upon more for obvious reasons.

Some top universities only demand C grade at Enlgish and Maths.

Your ALevels are poor.
Work on nailing your A2's as it is these which will get you into your university of choice, if Psychology is your main preference then maths is definitely not required, while if you love art you should keep following your passion for as long as you can.

Regarding GCSE's mixed bag some (Birmingham) put a high level of importance on them while others (Cambridge) have no GCSE requirements. Although this may all change in the future when AS become decoupled form A2's and non-essential, but it won;t effect you.

More so than GCSE's focus on extra-curricular, volunteering etc. this will help you hugely with your personal statement and longer term make you far more employable.
You say that you want to go into either:
Psychology
Biochemistry
Biology
Social Sciences

I see no art/design courses there... is art really the best subject to keep? Why not just do art in your free time instead of at A2. Art is a very time consuming subject at A Level, unless you are ridiculously organised it can become a burden to keep on top of everything.
Original post by AIVARB

Your ALevels are poor.

Huh? My A levels are poor? I'm going to sixth for this year lol so I haven't even started A levels. "Birmingham uni" demands GCSEs that are top. I'm in a dilemma right now because i messed up my GCSEs and I have 1 subject that doesn't meet their requirements. But A levels are also important obv.
Original post by KittyRe-play

only oxbridge, lse, med, vet med & dent applicants require GCSEs above the minimum requirements
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Table dust
only oxbridge, lse, med, vet med & dent applicants require GCSEs above the minimum requirements

Yep. Like I want to go into Dentistry and Birmingham requires A* in both Bio and Chem. I got the A* in Bio but only got an A in Chem so I don't know what to do..??? It's soooo hard! :frown:
Original post by AIVARB

Your ALevels are poor.

Yup, I only got 1A* still going to a top 10 uni.
Hi there,

Biology- A
Art- A
Maths- B

Psychology
Biochemistry
Biology
Social Sciences

Thanks.

You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: Life is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it
OP if you end up applying for psychology note that some unis lower their entry requirements if you have more science A-levels. Check Newcastle for example.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do something like genetics or chemistry at uni.
You could Medicine or Dentistry or as someone suggested bioscience! If you could get those B's to A's or A*'s at A2 you have a good chance of getting onto something medical related!
If you don't know what to do, start checking out career fairs/uni fairs! They are really helpful! The world is your oyster! :-)

I'm doing Psychology at uni atm!
Hi there,

Biology- A
Art- A
Maths- B

Psychology
Biochemistry
Biology
Social Sciences

Thanks.

How did you find art? Also, don't you have the option to carry on all four subjects to A2?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending