The Student Room Group

Oxford pat 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by inyaaa
Why do you think that? You seem to have been right in 2012 with your prediction, and 2013. any idea when the pat paper comes out, even better an unofficial mark scheme?

Cannot remember when the report comes out... must be after the interviews/decisions though... maybe end of January?

the more I recall the questions, and see people answers, this paper is way more difficult than some people thought!

I am going to say that very many people have over estimated how well they've done.

Interview cut off.... 54.

Realistic admission chance.... 63.
Original post by game well and truly over
Cannot remember when the report comes out... must be after the interviews/decisions though... maybe end of January?

the more I recall the questions, and see people answers, this paper is way more difficult than some people thought!

I am going to say that very many people have over estimated how well they've done.

Interview cut off.... 54.

Realistic admission chance.... 63.

Do you have any idea how it's marked? Like do they give you a reasonable amount of marks for a good method with a small numerical error that resulted in a wrong answer? And I agree, it was a difficult paper, lots of stuff on it most people haven't done unless they've done certain ohysics exam boards and done a full a level in FM with a few mechanics modules in there
I certainly hope it's around 54, then I'd at least have a chance of an interview. I thought it would be ~60+.
Hmmm, we MUST be able to talk about the paper now?

Does anyone understand how to answer that last maths question on circle tangents?

Something to the effect of, 'find the equations of the lines tangent to the circle of equation X2 + Y2=5 and passing through the point (-4,3)' :P

I answered all the maths questions bar this one and the second part of the inequalities one, well...I answered it, but had infinity as an answer, so not convinced it's right!
Original post by BanoffeeGuy

Does anyone understand how to answer that last maths question on circle tangents?

Something to the effect of, 'find the equations of the lines tangent to the circle of equation X2 + Y2=5 and passing through the point (-4,3)' :P

I answered all the maths questions bar this one and the second part of the inequalities one, well...I answered it, but had infinity as an answer, so not convinced it's right!

You have to find the derivate of the function.
At the point on the circle, let's say (x_1, y_1), find the derivatve and then equate it to the slope m = (3 - y_1)/(-4 - x_1). Equate.

Also at (x_1, y_1), you can get another equation using the equation of a circle = (x_1)^2 + (y_1)^2 = (sqrt(5))^2

I think you get the equation of the tangent then.

!

I think I solved a pair of simultaneous equations, one for their f(x) values being equal where they meet, and another for their gradients being equal where they meet (Had to differentiate implicitly)

I remember in a past paper There was a question like this where they were able to use Triangles to solve but I dont think it worked in this case!!
Reply 186

just solve this directly:
X^2+Y^2=5
2X+2(dy/dx)Y=0
dy/dx=(-X)÷Y,then substitute (-4,3)into the equation, then we get gradient=4/3.
Then we can use Y-y0=gradient(X-x0) to find the tangent line
guys do you reckon that invitations to interview will be sent this coming week? I guess nobody has heard anything yet?
Reply 188
Original post by ahf
guys do you reckon that invitations to interview will be sent this coming week? I guess nobody has heard anything yet?

It says on their website that the physics interviews are between the 15th and 17th of December. My guess it that they will start sending out invitations around about the 6th. But that's just a guess!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone got a reply? Got mine today :rolleyes: in a good way
Original post by ahf
Anyone got a reply? Got mine today :rolleyes: in a good way

Yeah, they started sending them out today :-) Which college did you get an invitation from? Mine is from Corpus Christi, my first choice, so happy about that!
Original post by Spongelk
Yeah, they started sending them out today :-) Which college did you get an invitation from? Mine is from Corpus Christi, my first choice, so happy about that!

Magdalen - first choice. I was more pleased about that than getting my four other offers
I got my interview but not in my first choice college.
Is that means I score very bad in PAT?
My first choice is Brasenose but I was sent to Lincoln.
Original post by GraceXXX
I got my interview but not in my first choice college.
Is that means I score very bad in PAT?
My first choice is Brasenose but I was sent to Lincoln.

Not at all, do not worry! From what I heard, it's not based on your PAT score at all - it might very well be random! Besides, a friend of mine is studying Law at Lincoln and he says it's absolutely great :-) See you at the interviews!
Reply 194
who got into oxford then? college? i got an open offer!
Reply 195
Original post by PhysicsMathsTut
No, they are the hardest ones :smile: I can probably do the stuff from the first couple of years.

massive thanks to you, just incase i haven't said it before. helped me alot in prepping for pat, my teachers were mostly useless
:biggrin:
Original post by inyaaa
massive thanks to you, just incase i haven't said it before. helped me alot in prepping for pat, my teachers were mostly useless
:biggrin:

You are welcome, I'm glad that I've been helpful :smile: Congratulations on your offer!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending