The Student Room Group

Oxford pat 2014

Hi guys, I wanted to make a thread for people taking the PAT this November. How are you all preparing and how did you all do for your AS? What are your university choices like and anyone have plans for retaking any AS modules in July?

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
im doing some past years which i find it rather hard. the math questions are okay,but the physics part is a bit challenging since we need to know the theories,of which we will only learn in A2. so yeah :biggrin:
Greetings, all. Papers are quite tricky, but nottoo bad. Looking forward to the prep actually; gonna go all out.
Is there a standard book, which helps for the PAT?
Reply 5
Hey! Polish student from a teeny tiny village here, taking the PAT this year. The physics part actually seems easier to me (we don't cover calculus at school at all and some things we will only be taught later this year), but it's still far from easy. Still, feeling quite confident about passing to the interview part, but I have no idea whatsoever how those could go for me - I obviously can't get any support about them from my teachers or anything, since barely anyone from around my place ever goes studying to the UK, never mind Oxford! Wish you people all the best, study hard and it'll all come together!
Reply 6
How soon will we know our pat results? :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I read somewhere on Oxford's webpage that sometimes they only let you know whether you're invited to the interview a week before it, so I guess ~two weeks after the PAT?
Which colleges are you people applying to? I'm sending my application in for Corpus Christi, seems like a great small college to me :smile:
Original post by nufajoker
How soon will we know our pat results? :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't get told your PAT results. Although if your application is unsuccessful you can request feedback, which usually includes your PAT score.
Reply 9
Original post by fluteflute
You don't get told your PAT results. Although if your application is unsuccessful you can request feedback, which usually includes your PAT score.

If we manage to secure an interview spot,will we get to know our pat results?
Original post by nufajoker
If we manage to secure an interview spot,will we get to know our pat results?

If your application is unsuccessful you can request feedback, which usually includes your PAT score.

You won't find out before interviews. Or before you find out if you've got a place.
Reply 11
Original post by zi_zi
Hi guys, I wanted to make a thread for people taking the PAT this November. How are you all preparing and how did you all do for your AS? What are your university choices like and anyone have plans for retaking any AS modules in July?

As Oxford will not look at the retake score so I won't take it. My other choices are IC, UCL, manchester and bristol for physics or theoretical physics.
How's your revising going? I still find several of the past PAT questions baffling and it's getting a bit too close to the tests to my liking...
Also, my other uni choices are Sheffield, Lancaster, Birmingham and Queen's (Belfast) - tried to get a wide range of entry requirements, since I have no teachers to tell me what final exam scores I'm expected to get. :-)
Reply 13
I've been finding the PAT prep a bit tricky. I can never seem to do the very last question but the other physics bit has been fine. I'm planning on doing the maths prep over half term. I am going to redo my mechanics paper because I want it slightly higher and we I am doing M1 this year. My other choices are St Andrew's, Edinburgh, Imperial and Queens Belfast.
My solutions for the 2013 PAT paper. Let me know if you spot any mistakes.
Original post by PhysicsMathsTut
My solutions for the 2013 PAT paper. Let me know if you spot any mistakes.

For Q17 you didn't state the condition for the masses to be stationary. I got this to be: sin alpha = M/m
Yes, I forgot that. Your answer is correct.
Reply 17
Yes, I forgot that. Your answer is correct.

2007 question 14 of the physics section. Would you be kind enough to explain to me why in section (b) Lcm = L/2 and not L? Thanks in advance! :smile: I don't know what I would do without your solutions :colondollar:
Hey, I'm glad you're finding my solutions useful.
In part (b), there isn't a mass attached to a rod, which in part (a) was assumed to be massless. There's only a uniform rod with mass M swinging in part (b), so CM should be in the middle.
Reply 19
Hey, I'm glad you're finding my solutions useful.
In part (b), there isn't a mass attached to a rod, which in part (a) was assumed to be massless. There's only a uniform rod with mass M swinging in part (b), so CM should be in the middle.

Okay, Thank you!! ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending