The Student Room Group

Don't know what I'm doing or what I should do - please help

I've just gotten completely crap IGCSE results for someone who wants to do med. I've been crying for the whole day since I've gotten them and it is causing a flair up of my mental health problems because I feel like I don't deserve anything because of my fail grades. I've had problems for the past year and a half (don't really remember when it started though). I want to apply to med school but I really don't know what to do with these grades (going to take IB for the next 2 years). I don't know what I'm doing anymore. Everyone just keeps talking about their great IGCSE results and how they got so many A*s. I just don't want to feel like this anymore.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tiffanywoods
I've just gotten completely crap IGCSE results for someone who wants to do med. I've been crying for the whole day since I've gotten them and it is causing a flair up of my mental health problems because I feel like I don't deserve anything because of my fail grades. I've had problems for the past year and a half (don't really remember when it started though). I want to apply to med school but I really don't know what to do with these grades (going to take IB for the next 2 years). I don't know what I'm doing anymore. Everyone just keeps talking about their great IGCSE results and how they got so many A*s. I just don't want to feel like this anymore.

This is so strange coming across this post, as I am in a near identical situation to you. I received my IGCSE results today- I took them as a private candidate, hoping to take A Levels this year- and after a bad start into studying the qualifications at home in the beginning of this year, I haven't got the C I needed and have been refused the place I was given to study A Levels. Disappointed to say the very least, I have been on and off for the last couple of years trying to get enough GCSE's, which has led to this and now I feel utterly directionless. I was so focused and excited to finally get on a challenging path- had looked into university (bouncing from wall to wall with utter joy). Now I feel very hollow and unsure where to turn. I hope that one day, I'll pretty much be able to laugh this off.
I can't offer you any advice or guidance whatsoever, but I can offer you consolation and reassurance that you wasn't the only person today who felt ashamed and disappointed with your results.
I truly hope you get something sorted out- it's terrible feeling so low when others are jumping for joy. :console:
Original post by Amy. J S
This is so strange coming across this post, as I am in a near identical situation to you. I received my IGCSE results today- I took them as a private candidate, hoping to take A Levels this year- and after a bad start into studying the qualifications at home in the beginning of this year, I haven't got the C I needed and have been refused the place I was given to study A Levels. Disappointed to say the very least, I have been on and off for the last couple of years trying to get enough GCSE's, which has led to this and now I feel utterly directionless. I was so focused and excited to finally get on a challenging path- had looked into university (bouncing from wall to wall with utter joy). Now I feel very hollow and unsure where to turn. I hope that one day, I'll pretty much be able to laugh this off.
I can't offer you any advice or guidance whatsoever, but I can offer you consolation and reassurance that you wasn't the only person today who felt ashamed and disappointed with your results.
I truly hope you get something sorted out- it's terrible feeling so low when others are jumping for joy. :console:

look into a medicine foundation degree
Original post by tiffanywoods

You're not going to be a doctor. Now's the time to properly look into other careers you could get into, knowing what your grades are.
Original post by help!!!!!!!!!!

Medicine degrees with a foundation year are even more competitive than standard medicine degrees.
Original post by Pectorac
Medicine foundation degrees are even more competitive than standard medicine degrees.

medicine foundation degrees have lower grade requirements(i think) and some don't require you to do a science for an a level. If i were you i would get lots of experience to make your personal statement shine.
Don't worry about crappy gcses most universities don't care because they're more interested in your actual a levels. if you don't like the foundation idea then research other ways which lead to a career path in medicine. you'll be fine!
Original post by help!!!!!!!!!!
medicine foundation degrees have lower grade requirements(i think) and some don't require you to do a science for an a level. If i were you i would get lots of experience to make your personal statement shine.
Don't worry about crappy gcses most universities don't care because they're more interested in your actual a levels. if you don't like the foundation idea then research other ways which lead to a career path in medicine. you'll be fine!

Most have lower requirements, but many times more applicants than the standard degrees, making them harder to actually get into.
Original post by Pectorac
Most have lower requirements, but many times more applicants than the standard degrees, making them harder to actually get into.

i know that's why your PS needs to be really good

Quick Reply

Latest