The Student Room Group

A bit of help

Hi guys! So I'm new here and I have a question that's been burning my tongue for a fair bit of time now, concerning universities and more specifically their entrance requirements.

Being British, yet brought up in a foreign country, France, I have a bit of an unusual application form: I have a brevet des collèges with the "mention très bien", the highest distinction in the exam (around 5% of the population) and I took 3 IGCSEs, which is kinda random, in english lang. and lit. And maths, getting A*A*A respectively. I would love to study english, but what kind of uni should I aim for with those results? Thanks a lot for your help! 😀
Original post by flynnchristie
Hi guys! So I'm new here and I have a question that's been burning my tongue for a fair bit of time now, concerning universities and more specifically their entrance requirements.

Being British, yet brought up in a foreign country, France, I have a bit of an unusual application form: I have a brevet des collèges with the "mention très bien", the highest distinction in the exam (around 5% of the population) and I took 3 IGCSEs, which is kinda random, in english lang. and lit. And maths, getting A*A*A respectively. I would love to study english, but what kind of uni should I aim for with those results? Thanks a lot for your help!

Have you done your A-levels/baccalauréat yet?
No not yet, taking the OIB British Option, and I'm ding the French, biology, physics and chemistry counterparts next year
Original post by flynnchristie
No not yet, taking the OIB British Option, and I'm ding the French, biology, physics and chemistry counterparts next year

That's not a qualification I've heard of before but I had a Google and it's a cross between the baccalauréat and A-levels. So far you seem to be looking at the top ones, maybe Oxbridge, although according to my French teacher the brevet isn't a great indicator. By the sound of it you will have some of the OIB done next year, if you get results for those sections then you'll have a much better indication of where to look when it's time to have a proper look.
Original post by O133
That's not a qualification I've heard of before but I had a Google and it's a cross between the baccalauréat and A-levels. So far you seem to be looking at the top ones, maybe Oxbridge, although according to my French teacher the brevet isn't a great indicator. By the sound of it you will have some of the OIB done next year, if you get results for those sections then you'll have a much better indication of where to look when it's time to have a proper look.

Yes, it's a bit of an obscure qualification, only 20 or so schools in the world do it... But thank you for your help! Hopefully I'll do well in the bac and be able to have a more concrete view of the situation 😃

Quick Reply

Latest