The Student Room Group

Are my GRADES GOOD ENOUGH for dentistry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AbdulKoyes
A-Level isn't quite like that. I know of some people who did amazingly at GCSE (6-7 A*s) and revised daily and they didn't do very well at A2, despite giving it all their all

This is what happened to me but at AS and I worked really really hard but still got average grades qhen I got mostly A*s at GCSE
Reply 21
Original post by KittyRe-play
OMG i am in the same dilemma.:frown: I got an A in GCSE chemistry instead of A*...these are their requirements
[h="2"]Entry requirements[/h]Number of A levels required: 3
Typical offer: AAA and AS level at grade B/A
Required subjects and grades: Three A levels at grade A, must include Chemistry and Biology plus an A/S level at grade B these must be obtained in one sitting; Human Biology may be offered, but not in addition to Biology.
Certified and non-certified A/S level results must be provided in your application (non- certified results can be included in the reference)
GCSE requirements: Candidates must have GCSE Chemistry & Biology at grade A* (or Double Science award at grade A*A*) plus Mathematics and English Language at grade A.
Please note, at both A Level and GCSE, resits are not considered.
Scottish applicants: Candidates will need to offer 3 Advanced Highers with grades AAA.
International Baccalaureate Diploma: 36 points including Chemistry and Biology at Higher Level.
Graduates: Must have achieved (or be predicted to achieve) a First Class honours degree in medical science or related degree with A levels of B.

It's a shame but don't apply there in the hope they'll let you off lol, it'll just be an auto rejection, there's plenty of other unis to apply :smile:
Original post by Blobar
It's a shame but don't apply there in the hope they'll let you off lol, it'll just be an auto rejection, there's plenty of other unis to apply :smile:

But can I not use the A2B Scheme also known as Clearing to get in?:confused:
Reply 23
Original post by humblekingdom
Dentistry is very competitive. I know for medicine you need abot 7-8A* and I imagine that dentistry is slightly lower but sitll similar. I think really you'd need at least a few A*s at GCSE. People say the uni's don't look at GCSE results but they seem to be getting more and more important as competetion for places increase. You've done very well at GCSE so don't feel bad about it. Word of warning though - A- levels are a hell of a lot ahrder and if you've mostly got B's at GCSE you're gonna find it hard. You've got to work your arse off to get those A's and really it's not all about effort the same as it is at GCSE. You've got to be good at the subjects naturally. Make sure you pick subjects you know you enjoy and you are naturally good at.

Please, PLEASE do not float around false info, there's no need to get 7-8 A* at GCSE lol. Most unis don't even care after their min GCSE requirements and go onto look at UKCAT, PS and AS grades and predictions.
Reply 24
But can I not use the A2B Scheme also known as Clearing to get in?:confused:

A2B although in not familiar with I assume it's same as the Leeds one, this will lower the requirements for A2 but they will still want the min GCSE requirements.

Clearing is something quite different lol, may want to look it up.
Original post by Blobar
Please, PLEASE do not float around false info, there's no need to get 7-8 A* at GCSE lol. Most unis don't even care after their min GCSE requirements and go onto look at UKCAT, PS and AS grades and predictions.

I think it depends what uni's you're looking at. If you're aiming for the top uni's they look at your whole academic career. And at my college if you haven't got high end GCSEs ( e.g 7 A*s) they're reluctant to let you apply for medicine. But I guess that's all irrelevant.

Also nowaday's even if you get the min. entry requirements you still may not get in because somebody could have the exact same A level results, a good personal statement etc just like you do BUT that person has better GCSE results. They are important.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Blobar
A2B although in not familiar with I assume it's same as the Leeds one, this will lower the requirements for A2 but they will still want the min GCSE requirements.

Clearing is something quite different lol, may want to look it up.

Oh okay:confused:Because I asked someone on TSR and they said it was the same thing lol. So in your opinion is there any chance of me getting into Birmingham assuming I get the A levels etc.? As far as work experience is concerned I have already done 7 days and I have 2 years to go in Sixth form yet. So?
Original post by Blobar
Saying you'll revise everyday is one thing, doing it is another matter. It really isn't that hard if you put work in, just try your best. I revised 3 weeks beforehand and got AAAB 1 UMS of an A lol. I want you to bare in mind I did no work for GCSE but if you put the effort in I can't see a reason why you can't get AAAA maybe, just don't hedge your bets on it.

Okay thanks

Yeah I basically crammed before each exam and did awful controlled assessment as I didn't care- hopefully my results next year will be better

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
I think it depends what uni's you're looking at. If you're aiming for the top uni's they look at your whole academic career. And at my college if you haven't got high end GCSEs ( e.g 7 A*s) they're reluctant to let you apply for medicine. But I guess that's all irrelevant.

Your school is probably very ignorant then. Top unis? There's really no such thing as that when it comes to dentistry as all of them are very competitive and it doesn't matter what uni you go to.

For the best info you'll want to look at each unis admission policies before applying.
Reply 29
Oh okay:confused:Because I asked someone on TSR and they said it was the same thing lol. So in your opinion is there any chance of me getting into Birmingham assuming I get the A levels etc.? As far as work experience is concerned I have already done 7 days and I have 2 years to go in Sixth form yet. So?

In all honesty. No. Don't waste a space on your ucas form and apply somewhere else. Birm will probably filter you out using a computer based on your GCSE results and won't even look at the rest of your application, sorry.
Reply 30
Original post by xoflower
Okay thanks

Yeah I basically crammed before each exam and did awful controlled assessment as I didn't care- hopefully my results next year will be better

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck to all of you, be happy with your GCSEs.
Original post by Blobar
In all honesty. No. Don't waste a space on your ucas form and apply somewhere else. Birm will probably filter you out using a computer based on your GCSE results and won't even look at the rest of your application, sorry.

So basically I have failed in life?:frown: I can't go to any other university other than the ones in Birmingham...[personal preference and other reasons lol]...Can I not work up to being a dentist if I do a dental nurse degree or something? I might as well just be a housewife and do nothing but waste my flipin life:angry:
Reply 32
So basically I have failed in life?:frown: I can't go to any other university other than the ones in Birmingham...[personal preference and other reasons lol]...Can I not work up to being a dentist if I do a dental nurse degree or something? I might as well just be a housewife and do nothing but waste my flipin life:angry:

There's other ways to get into dentistry although if you just aim for one uni and pin all your hopes on it then chances are you'll fail as it is very competitive. You could try doing a bio med degree and then entering but you'll want to do a lot of research before hand as I don't know much about birm uni and how it all works.

Just remember dentistry isnt the be and end all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh right, easily misunderstood over messages! Thanks though, I take heed to constructive criticism

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't give up at all! Don't let your grades stop you. And the thing is is that they're great grades!! This is what I hat eabout school etc is that it makes you feel like **** when you've actually done really well. I think- I'm not sure- but I think you can do dentistry nursing as like an apprenticeship. I didn't get the grades this year at AS to allow me to do a Bilogy degree like I wanted even though I did really well in Bilogy but my other grades were average. It made me thikn about other options I have and other things I enjoy. Let this come as an oppurtunity to look into other things you might like to do instead of dentistry. It's not all over- you can still be a dentist but you need to look t your options. Good luck and well done!
Thanks for the response, I've been thinking of taking biology, chemistry, psychology/maths and economics however I have zero passion for maths so I think it'll be hard for me to motivate myself to do well. Would psychology and economics be eligible a-levels for dentistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by yaya sanogo
Thanks for the response, I've been thinking of taking biology, chemistry, psychology/maths and economics however I have zero passion for maths so I think it'll be hard for me to motivate myself to do well. Would psychology and economics be eligible a-levels for dentistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you don't like maths don't take it, unis don't care aslong as you take Bio and Chem. Don't take a soft 3rd subject though like Sociology. Psychology would be fine.
Don't give up at all! Don't let your grades stop you. And the thing is is that they're great grades!! This is what I hat eabout school etc is that it makes you feel like **** when you've actually done really well. I think- I'm not sure- but I think you can do dentistry nursing as like an apprenticeship. I didn't get the grades this year at AS to allow me to do a Bilogy degree like I wanted even though I did really well in Bilogy but my other grades were average. It made me thikn about other options I have and other things I enjoy. Let this come as an oppurtunity to look into other things you might like to do instead of dentistry. It's not all over- you can still be a dentist but you need to look t your options. Good luck and well done!

Thanks but these days grades matter MOST. I know i did not do as well as I could. I was predicted all As and A*s and I ended up with 3Bs and 2Cs which is absolutely ridiculous. So yep I don't know what to do with life right now. My cousin is sorting it out for me I hope it turns out well.
Original post by yaya sanogo
Which subjects should I take? A in Phys Education. Bs in Chem, Bio, Phys, Maths, Eng Lit, Eng Lang., Cs in Geog and French... I will get 4 As in a-level. I know i've fallen very short, but im determined.

You should definitely take Biology and Chemistry because they are mandatory. The third and fourth are your personal preference. Personally I am taking Maths because it will aid you in Chemistry [MOLES, CALCULATIONS ETC.] Your fourth subject can be whatever you like even if it's Physical Education. Good luck:biggrin:
Original post by Blobar
Although that may be true, don't be put off, I did ok at GCSE and probably did what you'd consider pretty good at AS, AAAB.

:L I've finished my A-Levels. Sorry if I gave the impression I'm a GCSE student -_-

Quick Reply

Latest