The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
As a;ready pointed out all med schools are very popular - as a result the most popular one changes each year - people work out which was a less popular ont he year before, which sees that schools application figures shoot up the next year.

IIRC, Soton was the most popular in terms of applications per place for 2006, for 2005 BSMS...
Reply 21
This varies from year to year, but its not the usual suspects. From my experience from applying to med school, the highest ratio of app/place are sheffield, BSMS and soton.

The app/place at places like oxbridge and imperial isnt that high because only people who know that they can achieve the top end of the grades will apply there(and thats not everybody). And also people dont want to take BMAT. Having said that no uni is easy to get into. You still need to perform @ every interview.

My advice is to select the unis and courses that suit you best. do a lot of research and ring admissions to find the app/place ratio. It will help you make up your final mind.
Reply 22
Robokop
The app/place at places like oxbridge and imperial isnt that high because only people who know that they can achieve the top end of the grades will apply there(and thats not everybody). And also people dont want to take BMAT. Having said that no uni is easy to get into. You still need to perform @ every interview.

Actually, that's more of a perception... Grades are not everything, and even the likes of OxBridge and Gimpers realise this... two years ago, a girl I was tutoring got into Imperial with a BBB prediction [but THE most mind blowing array of EC]...

If you were a world class rower, I'm sure OxBridge would accept you with EEE :wink:
Reply 23
Fluffy
Actually, that's more of a perception... Grades are not everything, and even the likes of OxBridge and Gimpers realise this... two years ago, a girl I was tutoring got into Imperial with a BBB prediction [but THE most mind blowing array of EC]...

If you were a world class rower, I'm sure OxBridge would accept you with EEE :wink:

Not for medicine :wink: - you need a nice cushy grad subject really. Water management, anyone?
No uni is hard to get into, if you have the min grades, its upto you how you perform in the interview and how strong your aplication is, as a medical student u need to show that your an all rounder (and not just academic), if you do that then you will have no problems, but soem uni's like to make it difficult to get in by setting exams (oxbridge uni's (supposed to have the toughest entrance exam, but i dnt no how tough the new ukcat is compared to the oxbridge one)
Helenia
Not for medicine :wink: - you need a nice cushy grad subject really. Water management, anyone?

even for medicine, after all they can boot you out after the undergrad degreecan't they. theres no rules that cam students must do their 6 years there.
though they dont tell you THAT in the handbook.
Reply 26
Helenia

The OX part definitely would have a few years back - it wasn't a speculatative comment :wink:
Reply 27
crazyskoolkid
No uni is hard to get into, if you have the min grades, its upto you how you perform in the interview and how strong your aplication is, as a medical student u need to show that your an all rounder (and not just academic), if you do that then you will have no problems, but soem uni's like to make it difficult to get in by setting exams (oxbridge uni's (supposed to have the toughest entrance exam, but i dnt no how tough the new ukcat is compared to the oxbridge one)

Erm - beg to differ! The min grades are just that - min...

A lot of it comes down to WHO reads your UCAS form (one person might love it, another think it's nothing more that expensive loo paper...), then WHO interviews you... There are way too many things involved that you, as the applicant has no control over for university entry to ever be considered easy...

To give an example a few years ago a mentee of mine applied to 4 med courses, a neuro course at one of the unis she applied to for med,and then a REALLY, really ****ty scum hole, need DDD to get into (because it was close to her gran, and if she couldn't read medicine or go to her no 1 uni, that's where she wanted to be. They must have thought that she was taking the piss, because they rejected her...

Latest

Trending

Trending