The Student Room Group

Is it time we really started pushing atheism?

With all these 'extremist' muslims going over to Iraq/Syria no one seems to know what to do to prevent radicalisation.

Well how about denouncing all religions? I mean they're all a bunch of crap anyway. Religion has no place in a modern progressive society. The amount of things people get away with because of religion is ludicrous. This is the 21st century for gods sake (I know). If anyone above the age of 5 still vehemently believes in these fairytales they should be institutionalised.

They should be taught in the same way Greek mythology is taught.

I have posted this here and not in the religion forum because this is a serious thought and not a troll. Though I don't suppose it'll be long before this thread is deleted by the apologist mods.

Scroll to see replies

What's good about atheism? ever since European's started to reject Christianity they've gone into decline. This is of course is due to many reasons such as feminism, access to birth control but religion does play a part as religious families tend to be bigger. Europeans should adapt a lifestyle that isn't so consumerist and materialistic like the Amish. I bet they're happier than most of us despite their simple ways.It's often said the same about blacks, why do they have to live like us? let them live their tribal lifestyle and stop trying to modernize Africa.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
We should first of all never allow Labour into power in this country again.

We need to undo all their efforts that meant segregation and bending over backwards for minorities.

Basically, we promoted the idea of separation instead of promoting the idea of loyalty to Britain - similarly to how America has assimilated immigrants under the flag.

So the answer is yes - we need to keep religion out of every orifice it seeks to enter and at the same time we need a special approach towards Islam. A zero tolerant approach to radical clerics, hate speech, those who seek beheading videos etc.
secularism, agnostic sceptic crew checking in
That's what i do.I really get upset when i imagine all the money flowing for mosques, churches and graduate students crowdfunding their research on Youtube in 2014.
But forcing something down someone else's throat is never good, and it's insane. I think there's extremists in every group and religion, but majority of people are just normal people like you, with a certain way of life. My cousin is Muslim and so is her family, and she's just a normal teenage girl, you would never even guess she's Muslim at all. Same with other religions. What people should really push is good morals, to stop the awful things going on in the world. I think it's insanity, not just the religion that leads people to do these awful things.
Reply 6
Original post by RtGOAT

Well how about denouncing all religions? I mean they're all a bunch of crap anyway. Religion has no place in a modern progressive society. The amount of things people get away with because of religion is ludicrous. This is the 21st century for gods sake (I know). If anyone above the age of 5 still vehemently believes in these fairytales they should be institutionalised.

Why are you so defensive?

Please give some reasons for your opinions so that I can respond in a little more detail. These are your assumptions:

P1) Denouncing religion reduces fanatcism
P2) All religion is crap
P3) The religious get away with lots of things
P4) Religion has no place in a modern society
P5) Believers should be institutionalised.

Now, in formal argument, it is generally considered conventional to provide reasons for your premises. Unfortunately, in a forum as diverse as TSR, you cannot expect everybody to just accept something without reason.
Radical Atheism has caused more atrocities then extremism in islam.

All that has to be said. :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by missfats

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please enlighten me. Which cases of radical atheism are you talking about?
Reply 9
Original post by The Epicurean

I think he meant radical atheists.
Reply 10
Original post by buzzybee143
But forcing something down someone else's throat is never good, and it's insane.

My cousin is Muslim and so is her family, and she's just a normal teenage girl, you would never even guess she's Muslim at all.

I'm not advocating forcing atheism down peoples throats. Just better education. Any sane person would then become atheist. Most people are only religious because they had religion forced down their throats their whole lives.

If your cousin doesn't follow the hadiths and I would 'never even guess she's Muslim' then she's not really Muslim, she's like the many 'Christians' in this country, who aren't religious at all but due to tradition call themselves Christians. She'd lose nothing by leaving Islam.

Original post by Hariex

P1) Denouncing religion reduces fanatcism
P2) All religion is crap
P3) The religious get away with lots of things
P4) Religion has no place in a modern society
P5) Believers should be institutionalised..

P1)P2) Do you eve logic?

P3) Holidays, funding, Halal meat etc.

P4) Very very very few people believe in Zues, Hades, Poseidon etc. these days. God/Allah should go the same way.

P5) See P1 & P2. If I vehemently believed in Santa you'd call me crazy.
Original post by missfats

Posted from TSR Mobile

[video="youtube;mV1LzXf1TKQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV1LzXf1TKQ[/video]
Original post by Truths
I think he meant radical atheists.

And were these acts done in the name of atheism? Was their atheism the sole/main basis for their acts? Because I honestly can't think of any off the top of my head. The usual statements are made regarding Stalin. But Stalin was motivated by an ideology quite separate from atheism. His state used atheism as a way of combating the wealthy and powerful Orthodox Church which held sway over the opinions of most Russians. What better way to triumph over an opposing force than to do away with democracy and ban those you disagree with? Which Stalin was good at...
I don't agree with institutionalising religious followers - such practices are barbaric, tyrannical and contradict the values of freedom and liberty. They would also make us no better than Islamic theocracies. I hate (organised) religion because of how it seems to rob people of intellectual and moral autonomy, but we should strive to be better by advocating reason and not unnecessary violence.

I do agree with strong state advocacy of secular humanism though. All children should be taught this through being encouraged to think critically and analytically, while also being taught humanistic values like respect, empathy, compassion and respecting other's right to a good life. That itself should greatly hasten the decline of backward cultures and mind-numbing religious fundamentalism in this country.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
You're missing the point, not everyone is like that only the very few. Anyway, aren't you being a hypocrite saying that religion forces people to follow rules and yet youre forcing us to follow your rules?

I'll reply with a long post in a few days, when I get a laptop.
Btw, Haven't seen you for a long time? Hope everything is going well for you. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's no need to push atheism or to actively attack religion. What we should do is remove any state involvement in religion. We should ban faith schools, remove religious figures from the HOL, make it very difficult to get planning permission for houses of worship, remove tax breaks seize the 5 billion in assets that the CofE possess etc.
If you denounce/ban organised religion you are just going to end up with more extremists.
The vast majority of religious people are nice, normal people who just happen to follow a religion. I personally cannot see why they do follow the religions but its not my place (or anyones) to stop them doing that. Surely by doing that your not completely different to the religious extremists?
Reply 17
And were these acts done in the name of atheism? Was their atheism the sole/main basis for their acts? Because I honestly can't think of any off the top of my head. The usual statements are made regarding Stalin. But Stalin was motivated by an ideology quite separate from atheism. His state used atheism as a way of combating the wealthy and powerful Orthodox Church which held sway over the opinions of most Russians. What better way to triumph over an opposing force than to do away with democracy and ban those you disagree with? Which Stalin was good at...

I understand that, but the OP has the idea that religion is the the root of terrorism and violence. But I propose that a world without religion is a world without any legitimate morals. Sounds to me like a cause for even more messed up world.

Original post by Truths
I understand that, but the OP has the idea that religion is the the root of terrorism and violence. But I propose that a world without religion is a world without any legitimate morals. Sounds to me like a cause for even more messed up world.

But surely most religious people only believe one religion to be the true religion? That would mean all the other religions are man made? That would mean everywhere that one religion doesn't have influence would be a location that lacked legitimate morals? So if you are Christian, you believe that pre-Christian America was completely immoral?

Or are you saying that all religions provide morals? But then considering that both I (an atheist) and the majority of religious people can agree that the majority of religions are man made, we can therefore assume that the moral teachings of these religions are man made? So in conclusion, man gave religion its morals and therefore man can survive without religion as he is the source of morality.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and, therefore, their own beliefs/religions. Yes, some people are using their religion to get away with things and there are extremists who take things waaayyy too far... But there are so many religious people who just want to live a quiet happy life, should we stop them? It is the minority ruining the view of the majority.

You don't want religion forced upon you and they don't want atheism forced upon them. I also think that people should have better education in religious studies because people are way too quick to assume things about religions without knowing the meaning or the origin of certain aspects of it. Maybe learning about different views will get everyone to respect each other a little more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending