The Student Room Group

My date dislikes blacks and asians

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iysx__
Whether they agree or not, that's racism and they're being racist. Only backwards minded people are racist in the 21st century. Personally, I wouldn't tolerate racism towards anyone because it says a lot about the person themselves. My opinion only.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes that is your opinion, an ill-informed one at that. A lot of people feel uncomfortable about the sheer numbers of non-English people living in their own country. To admit that it NOT racist. Racism is hatred for people based on their racial origins, not concern about the numbers of people from overseas here. Ask some 3d generation Indian or Jamaican whether they feel comfortable about the huge increase in the migrant population and you will hear the same concerns as many English people. That is not racism. Educate yourself before making such comments on here.
Reply 21
Original post by Kriklewood
I have recently met someone and I have been on a few dates with them. I get on well with this person and I like spending time in their company.

However, on a few occasions on our dates, they have made some comments about the number of black and Asian people there are in this city (this person is originally from elsewhere). I have felt a little bit embarrassed and uncomfortable when they have said it.

Being that I am from this city, I am used to there being a lot of ethnic people. I am not hugely in favour of immigration; I think there has been too much of it, but I try not to think about it too much as it's something I have no control over.

I would rather just concentrate on my own life, but I'm worried that this person I am dating may continue to comment on how many ethnic people there are and it might effect our relationship.

I don't want to tell them they are wrong, everyone is entitled to their opinion on every subject. I feel that the fact that they have told me their thoughts shows a degree of trust they have in me which I don't want to break. But I just don't want to hear about political and social subjects all the time, especially with someone I am romantically involved with.

Any advice on how I could subtly let them know that I don't like hearing or talking about it?

Seems your date is a racist lets face it your date's only issue is with the visibly different Black and Asian immigrants and it seems it kinda bothers you too. These different looking people living in the city, notice you never mentioned the more Caucasian looking immigrants i.e Polish, Russians, Spanish nah they are no issue, no its those darker looking people because they are so different looking.

The fact you are even considering a second date with this person sort of tells me that it's not that much of a concern for you really. So I am not sure why you are asking for advice when you are probably a racist yourself.
Reply 22
Original post by goldfinger23
Yes that is your opinion, an ill-informed one at that. A lot of people feel uncomfortable about the sheer numbers of non-English people living in their own country. To admit that it NOT racist. Racism is hatred for people based on their racial origins, not concern about the numbers of people from overseas here. Ask some 3d generation Indian or Jamaican whether they feel comfortable about the huge increase in the migrant population and you will hear the same concerns as many English people. That is not racism. Educate yourself before making such comments on here.

In this thread the issue mentioned is racist, as I have mentioned in my previous post the date only mentioned different looking immigrants that being the Blacks and the Asians, no mention of the Caucasian looking immigrants. Damn those Asians and Blacks living in the city could be third generation families who have been in the country longer than the Caucasian racist but hey because they look different let's treat them differently.

Because in a racists mind you can't be Black and Asian and be British, nope that's too hard to accept. Nope if you are Black and Asian you are automatically an immigrant even if this is your place of birth.
I don't think commenting on how ethnically diverse a city is every so often is racist. I'm from Leicester so whenever I go nearly anywhere else in England I'm surprised by how many white people there are. If they make negative comments about ethnic diversity I'd be worried though & would ditch them asap.
Reply 24

While you are supporting racism at least be honest and change NON ENGLISH TO NON WHITE. Lets face it that is what you really mean. We all know you are complaining about the darker looking people.
So why are you still dating this person with disgusting views?? A few dates in and already is unleashing it, I wonder what he/she will say when you start dating for a while.

Don't cry to TSR when your date takes you to a Clan meeting for your anniversary.
Reply 26
Also why is it that white people here make threads like this? If you are not a racist yourself and you meet a racist on a date, can you not make the right decision yourself?

Do you really need to make a thread about meeting a racist, than having to ask for advice on whether or not you should continue seeing them? Continue to give them a chance because who knows maybe they are not racist, maybe they are just ignorant and will change. If you really think a person is just ignorant and not a racist, you should try and see how they behave when having to mingle with an ethnic person don't let them know just spring it on them and then you will know the true answer you will notice their shifty behaviour.

Just look at the behaviour of some Spanish people to Blacks its very subtle and mostly done by body language here in the U.K at least but if you are the victim of their racist behaviour you will certainly know.

This is the second thread I have seen about such an issue so hence my frustration but perhaps the OP should be thanked. His self questioning and the fact he brings it to light on TSR will help others understand that racism is still alive in Britain and definitely still affects the intended victims of racists.

Just because we have a Black president of America or more accurately a mixed raced President, does not mean racism is dead. It is not dead in America and it certainly is not dead here in the Britain, although people do their best to pretend everything's great, it is not great for the victims of racism.
guess I'll add one more onto my list of people who dislike me then rofl

Original post by Mancini
While you are supporting racism at least be honest and change NON ENGLISH TO NON WHITE. Lets face it that is what you really mean. We all know you are complaining about the darker looking people.

:fuhrer:
Making observations are different from making nasty comments. If your date is doing the latter, then I wouldn't be friends with him, and neither be friends with you.
Reply 30
Original post by SophiaLDN
So why are you still dating this person with disgusting views?? A few dates in and already is unleashing it, I wonder what he/she will say when you start dating for a while.

Don't cry to TSR when your date takes you to a Clan meeting for your anniversary.

What's funny is that I have read from racist themselves online that the way for them to test the waters with a new partner and make them either racist themselves or comfortable with their racist views is to slowly introduce racist conversation with them.

Such as insulting an ethnic persons intelligence, they won't be extremely racist on the first date because they know its not really an attractive quality and would likely be dumped on the first date but if they introduce it slowly it will not be such a surprise to a date and they may end up converting them to such racist views.

Almost similar to the way a violent partner is not violent straight away with their partner but they will slowly build up a pattern of behaviour, until they have total dominance over the victim.

So all those posters saying it does not mean they are racist think again.
As a young black make I don't go into largely white cities and say "wow there's a lot of white/Asian/blue/green people around here" because I don't care. I agree that immigration laws are a bit shoddy and the whole subject could be handled better. But on the subject of this guy, you need to be cautious. Someone who constantly draws attention to the ethnic minorities where they live must feel uncomfortable with the whole situation of people of different ethnicities living their. I live in the city and I've been to areas where there's mainly Asian people and understandably you'd be surprised at first by the fact. But I've also been to areas largely white, which I guess didn't shock me since I live in a country where most people are white but still. I'm really surprised you didn't express your concern on your first date really, did you just ignore it or nod your head or what

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mancini
What's funny is that I have read from racist themselves online that the way for them to test the waters with a new partner and make them either racist themselves or comfortable with their racist views is to slowly introduce racist conversation with them.

Such as insulting an ethnic persons intelligence, they won't be extremely racist on the first date because they know its not really an attractive quality and would likely be dumped on the first date but if they introduce it slowly it will not be such a surprise to a date and they may end up converting them to such racist views.

Almost similar to the way a violent partner is not violent straight away with their partner but they will slowly build up a pattern of behaviour, until they have total dominance over the victim.

So all those posters saying it does not mean they are racist think again.

Im not surprised! This person is testing the waters but it seems like OP doesn't mind as she is already making excuses for him and doesn't want to tell him he's wrong because you're entitled to your opinions (:rolleyes:).

If you're already uncomfortable to the point of having to make a thread on TSR then he's not the one for you. Don't be that desperate.
(edited 9 years ago)
If I was on a date and they commented about it while simply making an observation, that's fine. I would be very uncomfortable if they kept bringing it up on the date though, as it shows it bothers them quite a bit.

...unless they were just extremely curious. But i dont see how anyone could be shocked enough to keep bringing it up in this country tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending