The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle Fine Art summer brief

Hiya!

I'm just wondering if anyone is going on to Newcastle to study Fine Art and if anyone has any thoughts on the summer brief we were set on Kafka. It's pretty interesting but it's always good to have more heads working on it than one :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hey :smile:

Yes I am! Though did you get the brief through an email? I am worried I'm missing some info, however I have just been working off the brief given online :smile:

I'm a little nervous as it is initially sculptural but I love the short story! I'm thinking of mapping it out physically over a mask, or perhaps something more religious. Just going to see how things end up.

How about you?
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by LittleMissNoface
Hey :smile:

Yes I am! Though did you get the brief through an email? I am worried I'm missing some info, however I have just been working off the brief given online :smile:

I'm a little nervous as it is initially sculptural but I love the short story! I'm thinking of mapping it out physically over a mask, or perhaps something more religious. Just going to see how things end up.

How about you?

Oh that's brilliant! I did yes but its the exact same as working on the one online.

I want to do something sculptural as opposed to a mask but my ideas are all over the place, I always prefer bouncing ideas off people and then seeing how it ends up. I'm afraid it'll be too literal if that makes any sense. I never considered a religious aspect though! i was looking at maybe a Marxist reading of it, going toward the idea of accumulating and giving life to inanimate objects and hoarding.

My problem is just creating the actual thing! :frown:
Original post by kiki_93
Oh that's brilliant! I did yes but its the exact same as working on the one online.

I want to do something sculptural as opposed to a mask but my ideas are all over the place, I always prefer bouncing ideas off people and then seeing how it ends up. I'm afraid it'll be too literal if that makes any sense. I never considered a religious aspect though! i was looking at maybe a Marxist reading of it, going toward the idea of accumulating and giving life to inanimate objects and hoarding.

My problem is just creating the actual thing! :frown:

:biggrin:

I feel that the title of the story could really be key also :smile:

I am in two-minds about how I should approach this spatially, whether to focus on symbolism or to be more sensitive to materiality and form? I do not think you should worry too much about being literal - hyper-literal could be super awesome!

When did you find out about the brief? - Surprisingly you are the first person I know on the course so far :smile:

Hoarding sounds interesting, how do you think you'll want to execute things? Have you done much sculpture?

Why do you think that Odradek has no home? Do you think Odradek is in every home?

I like that he thinks about his children.
Reply 4
:biggrin:

I feel that the title of the story could really be key also :smile:

I am in two-minds about how I should approach this spatially, whether to focus on symbolism or to be more sensitive to materiality and form? I do not think you should worry too much about being literal - hyper-literal could be super awesome!

When did you find out about the brief? - Surprisingly you are the first person I know on the course so far :smile:

Hoarding sounds interesting, how do you think you'll want to execute things? Have you done much sculpture?

Why do you think that Odradek has no home? Do you think Odradek is in every home?

I like that he thinks about his children.

I think so, it's strange but I don't see the family man as kafka himself or indeed a person but rather a metaphor for the idea of family and domesticity. Odradek is not like a monster, but maybe an immortal figment that the family man is afraid of not being able to control/domesticise for the benefit of his family.

I'm interested in the idea that odradek is made from organic home found materials and i think that's important- particularity in the sense that from a marxist point of view its like whether odradek was created by the family man?

Well I usually do large scale installation works and the space is very important for me. Odradeck reminds me of corners and dark spaces- but I'm also thinking of odradek in a modern context, i think the material will drastically change. I think odradek is in every home but the family man has come to a relisation of the creature, but i don't really know why.

What do you think? Do you think odradek could belong in a different context, or is man made?

I found out about it not too long ago so I'm panicking but I haven't found many fine art people yet. What medium of work do you work in? Are there any materials you're focusing on?
Original post by kiki_93
I think so, it's strange but I don't see the family man as kafka himself or indeed a person but rather a metaphor for the idea of family and domesticity. Odradek is not like a monster, but maybe an immortal figment that the family man is afraid of not being able to control/domesticise for the benefit of his family.

I'm interested in the idea that odradek is made from organic home found materials and i think that's important- particularity in the sense that from a marxist point of view its like whether odradek was created by the family man?

Well I usually do large scale installation works and the space is very important for me. Odradeck reminds me of corners and dark spaces- but I'm also thinking of odradek in a modern context, i think the material will drastically change. I think odradek is in every home but the family man has come to a relisation of the creature, but i don't really know why.

What do you think? Do you think odradek could belong in a different context, or is man made?

I found out about it not too long ago so I'm panicking but I haven't found many fine art people yet. What medium of work do you work in? Are there any materials you're focusing on?

Have you read anything else he has done? - I've only read his Metamorphosis book. That work did not seem too related to him also. But that work has similar themes to the story we have been given.

The materials odradek is made of have already been 'processed' by man, like thread and the wood.

Ooo that's interesting :smile: do you have any work online?

Maybe odradek symbolises a sort of unbroken tradition and that explains how he finds it difficult to make sense of, and will surpass his lifespan - the way he initially speaks about it seems that he is questioning why he even should care about odradek. However, because it has a name surely it's important.

Along the way it has collected more and more senseless things but it somehow seems complete.

The narrator seems so so lonely - I thought he was a family man. Maybe odradek is the family man then. No fixed abode. Maybe like the senseless nature of odradek is also like a family man. Can a man be part of a family?

I really like working with film or ink :smile: Though I have also made a lot of 'props' for my films in the past so it'll probably end up like that. Plus I have lots of rubbish I've been hoarding so I'll be using that stuff ^^
Reply 6
Have you read anything else he has done? - I've only read his Metamorphosis book. That work did not seem too related to him also. But that work has similar themes to the story we have been given.

The materials odradek is made of have already been 'processed' by man, like thread and the wood.

Ooo that's interesting :smile: do you have any work online?

Maybe odradek symbolises a sort of unbroken tradition and that explains how he finds it difficult to make sense of, and will surpass his lifespan - the way he initially speaks about it seems that he is questioning why he even should care about odradek. However, because it has a name surely it's important.

Along the way it has collected more and more senseless things but it somehow seems complete.

The narrator seems so so lonely - I thought he was a family man. Maybe odradek is the family man then. No fixed abode. Maybe like the senseless nature of odradek is also like a family man. Can a man be part of a family?

I really like working with film or ink :smile: Though I have also made a lot of 'props' for my films in the past so it'll probably end up like that. Plus I have lots of rubbish I've been hoarding so I'll be using that stuff ^^

I read metamorphosis ages and ages ago but I haven't really been looking at his other works, though he does continue on similar themes like existentialism. Cares of a family man seems to have a sort of whimsy to it, I think like metamorphosis in the theme of transformation and creatures maybe?

I don't no! I've posted random bits up occasionally but I need to make a serious blog for this stuff! For my final major project I made a "pond" in our college, it was basically a kids padding pool filled with plants and algae and flowers and it had these plaster sculptures surrounding it. So that's sort of the installations I do, I like big stuff! :smile:

I was thinking that too, like I thought Odredek could symbolise the idea of a god, or remind the family man of his own mortality, which is why he finds it painful talking about him. Also I'm questioning why the family man is important, or considers himself of importance. The family man sounds like a title. Also he questions Odredek's purpose or aim and for me he equals the idea of death with having a purpose to fulfill in life- and odredek is deathless, he's immortal so does he have a purpose? Also does the family man resent odredek, for his immortality or maybe because he was created by him?

Oh film! I always admire those who work with that medium because I'm rubbish at, I can't hold a camera! Would you be incorporating film in the project? I saw a stop motion film called odredek on youtube, it's short, i think maybe a project for a student but it's interesting!
Original post by kiki_93
I read metamorphosis ages and ages ago but I haven't really been looking at his other works, though he does continue on similar themes like existentialism. Cares of a family man seems to have a sort of whimsy to it, I think like metamorphosis in the theme of transformation and creatures maybe?

I don't no! I've posted random bits up occasionally but I need to make a serious blog for this stuff! For my final major project I made a "pond" in our college, it was basically a kids padding pool filled with plants and algae and flowers and it had these plaster sculptures surrounding it. So that's sort of the installations I do, I like big stuff! :smile:

I was thinking that too, like I thought Odredek could symbolise the idea of a god, or remind the family man of his own mortality, which is why he finds it painful talking about him. Also I'm questioning why the family man is important, or considers himself of importance. The family man sounds like a title. Also he questions Odredek's purpose or aim and for me he equals the idea of death with having a purpose to fulfill in life- and odredek is deathless, he's immortal so does he have a purpose? Also does the family man resent odredek, for his immortality or maybe because he was created by him?

Oh film! I always admire those who work with that medium because I'm rubbish at, I can't hold a camera! Would you be incorporating film in the project? I saw a stop motion film called odredek on youtube, it's short, i think maybe a project for a student but it's interesting!

Awww it would have been nice to see the installation you talked about :smile: I'm so excited to see everyone's work! It will be so great to be in an environment where everyone cares about art.

Did you do foundation then?

Yes, I do think The Family Man seems like a label for either the narrator, Odradek or Kafka. I think I'm much more certain on what I'm going to do - I don't want to rush but I think I am going to just go with the thoughts I have. Usually I refine it along the way, with every new day giving me fresh eyes to the project.

Have you had any thoughts on what material/materials you'll be using?

The lurking nature of Odradek does make me think of death/God also. I like also seeing the star shape of Odradek to reflect on the qualities of being unreachable and also being seen by various people around the world at various times - like the narrator describes.

Have you thought about what workshop things you are going to sign up for? - Painting, Printmaking, Performance and Sculpture?

Yea, I think I'm going to use film for the 2nd half of the brief :smile: it's my favourite thing to work with!
Reply 8
Awww it would have been nice to see the installation you talked about :smile: I'm so excited to see everyone's work! It will be so great to be in an environment where everyone cares about art.

Yes, I do think The Family Man seems like a label for either the narrator, Odradek or Kafka. I think I'm much more certain on what I'm going to do - I don't want to rush but I think I am going to just go with the thoughts I have. Usually I refine it along the way, with every new day giving me fresh eyes to the project.

The lurking nature of Odradek does make me think of death/God also. I like also seeing the star shape of Odradek to reflect on the qualities of being unreachable and also being seen by various people around the world at various times - like the narrator describes.

Have you thought about what workshop things you are going to sign up for? - Painting, Printmaking, Performance and Sculpture?

Yea, I think I'm going to use film for the 2nd half of the brief :smile: it's my favourite thing to work with!

I know it's so much better working in that sort of enviroment because there's just constant inspiration happening!

I did yeah, though I'm a bit late. I'm 21 so I did it at a college just so happened to teach it but it was great! Did you do one?

Ah that's good you know what you're doing! I'm a little bit lost but I worked with the sewing element recently. Going on the idea of hoarding and the materials of Kakfa's aesthetic and odredek, I made four round squishy balls, all tacked and stitiched sporadically, and sew them together. They're stuffed with old bits of fabric from around my house, like the idea of Louise Bourgeouis soft sculpture. It's very rough though, and small and I don't know about the second element yet. :frown:

What about you? What materials are you using?

The star shape seems so key to odredek, I can see how it's a focus point for the creature. I sort of like the fairytale, monsterous aspect of it, and maybe the idea of softer materials to create something otherworldly.

I haven't yet because Ive got my head buried in the sand about uni so far but I like the idea of painting and sculpture! Even maybe performance if I have the guts! And yourself? Film sounds great! Definitely go for it, its always so interesting and such a changeable medium!
Reply 9

Also, I wanted to ask if you knew whether we have a reading list? I can't seem to find one anywhere!
Original post by kiki_93
Also, I wanted to ask if you knew whether we have a reading list? I can't seem to find one anywhere!

Hey,

I've been using these reading lists:

www.rlo.ncl.ac.uk/modules/FIN1007/2014
www.rlo.ncl.ac.uk/modules/FIN1008/2014 (semester 2)
www.rlo.ncl.ac.uk/modules/FIN1011/2014
www.rlo.ncl.ac.uk/modules/FIN1012/2014 (semester 2)

(Though it would be nice if you have any suggestions for reading?)

It's always better being older at uni I have learnt :smile: most people who do well are! I'm a bit nervous because I have not done a foundation :s-smilie: though I am transferring after a year of Architecture so hopefully I will not feel too young.

Did you do A-levels?

Oh I always find the long life of Bourgeouis inspiring :biggrin: Well once you get to a conclusion with the first element you'll be able to think clearly about how the 2nd piece will develop. Do you think you'll be doing something sculptural for your second piece?

I'm using all my materials from Arch, I like how it'll relate closely with Odredek, and by being both 'finished' and 'broken', gosh.

Surprisingly painting is not something I am as accustomed to, which makes it very appealing. I think film and performance are obvious ones for me but I do like a challenge!

What halls you in?
Reply 11
Hey,

I've been using these reading lists:

www.rlo.ncl.ac.uk/modules/FIN1007/2014
www.rlo.ncl.ac.uk/modules/FIN1008/2014 (semester 2)
www.rlo.ncl.ac.uk/modules/FIN1011/2014
www.rlo.ncl.ac.uk/modules/FIN1012/2014 (semester 2)

(Though it would be nice if you have any suggestions for reading?)

It's always better being older at uni I have learnt :smile: most people who do well are! I'm a bit nervous because I have not done a foundation :s-smilie: though I am transferring after a year of Architecture so hopefully I will not feel too young.

Did you do A-levels?

Oh I always find the long life of Bourgeouis inspiring :biggrin: Well once you get to a conclusion with the first element you'll be able to think clearly about how the 2nd piece will develop. Do you think you'll be doing something sculptural for your second piece?

I'm using all my materials from Arch, I like how it'll relate closely with Odredek, and by being both 'finished' and 'broken', gosh.

Surprisingly painting is not something I am as accustomed to, which makes it very appealing. I think film and performance are obvious ones for me but I do like a challenge!

What halls you in?

Brilliant! I just found them now, but on another thread someone said more than likely, they'll be available within the libraries and such. I don't have any suggestions for art books, which is pretty bad, I mean I read a lot on feminism and women artists but I can't for the life of me remember what the specific title was!

Architecture! Wow! Thats pretty cool and it'd be so interesting to see how your art develops from that! I did a little bit at uni of kent for english lit and creative writing and i ended up using writing in a few art pieces on my foundation. It's always interesting seeing how these things work out for people!

I did yeah, but like two/three years ago! I did fine art at a level and then two years later did my foundation. What about you?

She is amazing! At the moment, if you're looking at any artists, I'm looking into Louise bourgeois, Anette messager, karla black, eva hesse, mira schendel and nathalie drujberg. They're all sculptural artists though and I think my piece is heading that way, though I'm not too sure though. It's still very very vague, but Im using my materials from home like fabric, string, expanding foam and spray paint

That sounds amazing! Especially because there's an architectural theme in it you know? Like the materials and such, Odredak definitely fits, especially in the idea of broken. I like how though there's no particular form to him, the description and materials are still very rigid and very precise, from wood to thread.

I haven't done any painting lately, but It's always worth trying. Im tetchy with performance art because of various reasons but its something Ive tapped into, though it's still scary!

I'm in windsor terrace. I'm from london, so it's going to be a mission getting up there ha! What about yourself?
Original post by kiki_93
Brilliant! I just found them now, but on another thread someone said more than likely, they'll be available within the libraries and such. I don't have any suggestions for art books, which is pretty bad, I mean I read a lot on feminism and women artists but I can't for the life of me remember what the specific title was!

Architecture! Wow! Thats pretty cool and it'd be so interesting to see how your art develops from that! I did a little bit at uni of kent for english lit and creative writing and i ended up using writing in a few art pieces on my foundation. It's always interesting seeing how these things work out for people!

I did yeah, but like two/three years ago! I did fine art at a level and then two years later did my foundation. What about you?

She is amazing! At the moment, if you're looking at any artists, I'm looking into Louise bourgeois, Anette messager, karla black, eva hesse, mira schendel and nathalie drujberg. They're all sculptural artists though and I think my piece is heading that way, though I'm not too sure though. It's still very very vague, but Im using my materials from home like fabric, string, expanding foam and spray paint

That sounds amazing! Especially because there's an architectural theme in it you know? Like the materials and such, Odredak definitely fits, especially in the idea of broken. I like how though there's no particular form to him, the description and materials are still very rigid and very precise, from wood to thread.

I haven't done any painting lately, but It's always worth trying. Im tetchy with performance art because of various reasons but its something Ive tapped into, though it's still scary!

I'm in windsor terrace. I'm from london, so it's going to be a mission getting up there ha! What about yourself?

Yea, they will be in the library :smile: sometimes it's nice to have your own copy or to read in-advance, if you want, but Newcastle library is pretty good, you just need to not leave it too late to take them out.

Haha it's fine, I just like making sure I read widely, and explore things beyond my own limited view. What kinds of things do you like reading about within Feminism?

What other subjects did you study at A-level? (Not that they matter too much now, but it's always interesting!)
Yea, I did my A-levels two year ago, then went to Newcastle uni for Architecture but decided to transfer after finishing my first year :smile:

Uuumm nathalie djurberg, I like her animations - very yum! I'm not too sure who I would say is linking closely with my ideas, but I suppose subconsciously I'll be inspired by various concepts and techniques I've experienced.
Ooo you have expanding foam, that'll be cool. Things usually fall into place once you're in the motions!

:smile: I'm glad you think so too!

I'm hoping if I opt for performance art it'll build confidence, do you have any favourite performance artists?

I'm moving out of halls this year so I'll be in a house :smile: though I'm originally from Hull. Seems like lots of people from London go to Newcastle :smile:
Reply 13
Yea, they will be in the library :smile: sometimes it's nice to have your own copy or to read in-advance, if you want, but Newcastle library is pretty good, you just need to not leave it too late to take them out.

Haha it's fine, I just like making sure I read widely, and explore things beyond my own limited view. What kinds of things do you like reading about within Feminism?

What other subjects did you study at A-level? (Not that they matter too much now, but it's always interesting!)
Yea, I did my A-levels two year ago, then went to Newcastle uni for Architecture but decided to transfer after finishing my first year :smile:

Uuumm nathalie djurberg, I like her animations - very yum! I'm not too sure who I would say is linking closely with my ideas, but I suppose subconsciously I'll be inspired by various concepts and techniques I've experienced.
Ooo you have expanding foam, that'll be cool. Things usually fall into place once you're in the motions!

:smile: I'm glad you think so too!

I'm hoping if I opt for performance art it'll build confidence, do you have any favourite performance artists?

I'm moving out of halls this year so I'll be in a house :smile: though I'm originally from Hull. Seems like lots of people from London go to Newcastle :smile:

I might hunt on amazon for second hand books, which will be good :smile:

Ah well i'm queer and very much into intersectional feminism and learning about the gender binaries and poc and how they are now portrayed in art. I'm still looking into things, but I've found I get greater inspiration when I'm exploring these avenues, especially as a lot of my themes surround the idea of family, children and psychoanalytical theory within this. So I ended up reading up on Julie Kristeva's powers of horror (which is on the abject) and D.W winnicott, who talks about children and their associations with creativity and their mothers. I also like stuff that's really brash and colourful. like the sickly bright colours of childhood you know? i always work with stuff like that

I did English lit, History, Fine Art and extended project. What did you do? Oh that's great! So you already know newcastle then? :smile: Can I ask why you're transferring? Did you have an interview?

oh yeah she's amazing! I love her animations and movies by jan svankmajer, who does amazing stopmotion movies. One of his films, alice, has inspired my odredak work, its basically a take on alice in wonderland and it's really interesting to watch because it's so dark

I don't because I never considered myself into performance art (like i was super biased about it) and then my tutor on the foundation and the guys at newcastle who interviewed me said you actually use performance... And i was like ummm what?? I don't like marina abramovic, though many do I guess, so my knowledge is super limited. but Martha Rosler did a film in the 70s called semiotics of the kitchen and thats really good! Its probably something really good to explore and I'd definitely give it a go, I'm going to try as well and see what happens.

Ha really? I only know one girl going newcastle! Its a bit of a trek but should be good! :smile:
Original post by kiki_93
I might hunt on amazon for second hand books, which will be good :smile:

Ah well i'm queer and very much into intersectional feminism and learning about the gender binaries and poc and how they are now portrayed in art. I'm still looking into things, but I've found I get greater inspiration when I'm exploring these avenues, especially as a lot of my themes surround the idea of family, children and psychoanalytical theory within this. So I ended up reading up on Julie Kristeva's powers of horror (which is on the abject) and D.W winnicott, who talks about children and their associations with creativity and their mothers. I also like stuff that's really brash and colourful. like the sickly bright colours of childhood you know? i always work with stuff like that

I did English lit, History, Fine Art and extended project. What did you do? Oh that's great! So you already know newcastle then? :smile: Can I ask why you're transferring? Did you have an interview?

oh yeah she's amazing! I love her animations and movies by jan svankmajer, who does amazing stopmotion movies. One of his films, alice, has inspired my odredak work, its basically a take on alice in wonderland and it's really interesting to watch because it's so dark

I don't because I never considered myself into performance art (like i was super biased about it) and then my tutor on the foundation and the guys at newcastle who interviewed me said you actually use performance... And i was like ummm what?? I don't like marina abramovic, though many do I guess, so my knowledge is super limited. but Martha Rosler did a film in the 70s called semiotics of the kitchen and thats really good! Its probably something really good to explore and I'd definitely give it a go, I'm going to try as well and see what happens.

Ha really? I only know one girl going newcastle! Its a bit of a trek but should be good! :smile:

Nice!

What do you think got you interested in these areas? - And what age?

:smile: Yay for extended project, what did you do it on?

You're going to be very prepared for our History modules!

I did Art, Product Design, Maths, Physics and Extended Project :smile: (and General Studies but I have not forgiven it yet :frown: )

Yea, I really love Newcastle, it is so my home now!

I'm transferring for a lot of reasons, it's not very clear cut, and definitely not as easy as hating my previous degree choice. I guess spending a year not doing Art (Art in the sense of the whole spectrum of Art, not just spatial) made me have to face up to the fact that Art is my calling. Architecture was great fun, but I don't just want 'fun'.

I had an interview, I was nervous but it went really well, they were very friendly :smile:

I'd never seen his Alice before, it does look very dark. Gosh, there is so much to see and never enough time!

What are your thoughts on Marina Abramovic?

I know a lot of people in stage 2 are from London, seems people want to escape from their home.

When are you coming up to Newcastle then?
Reply 15
Nice!

What do you think got you interested in these areas? - And what age?

:smile: Yay for extended project, what did you do it on?

You're going to be very prepared for our History modules!

I did Art, Product Design, Maths, Physics and Extended Project :smile: (and General Studies but I have not forgiven it yet :frown: )

Yea, I really love Newcastle, it is so my home now!

I'm transferring for a lot of reasons, it's not very clear cut, and definitely not as easy as hating my previous degree choice. I guess spending a year not doing Art (Art in the sense of the whole spectrum of Art, not just spatial) made me have to face up to the fact that Art is my calling. Architecture was great fun, but I don't just want 'fun'.

I had an interview, I was nervous but it went really well, they were very friendly :smile:

I'd never seen his Alice before, it does look very dark. Gosh, there is so much to see and never enough time!

What are your thoughts on Marina Abramovic?

I know a lot of people in stage 2 are from London, seems people want to escape from their home.

When are you coming up to Newcastle then?

Ha god knows, I mean I was always into it and stuff but I got on tumblr and I started trying to educate myself in it. Probably around 18. And then it worked its way into my art and I dunno it works I guess!

Ah I did it on the cold war, and if we had a new one in this century. I was such a history nerd! Oh wow maths and physics? Hard stuff! What did you do your extended project on?

I think I know what you mean. I had more or less given up on Art for two years or so but I realised on the foundation that it's not something I'm not interested in, there's genuinely something there that pulls me to it. As your feeling with Architecture, I felt that with English Lit.

Oh yeah they were really lovely! It really sold newcastle to me. Its a dark film but it's so good! At times it can be confusing or so but it's such an interesting spin on Alice in wonderland and the idea of the psyche within it.

I know she's one of the poster people for performance art and advant garde. I like some of her endurance pieces but also in a way it might just be me and my bias against performance art. I still need to educate myself on it. I'm not sure how I feel about the later pieces with her enlisting performers, I've heard how it was super uncomfortable for them. But at the same time I suppose that's the point of her work?

Haha yeah probably! I heard it's nice though :smile: I should be coming up around the 20th? I think that's the move in day though I'm probably coming up on my own by train. You still up there or are you in Hull?

how's the kafka project coming along?
Original post by kiki_93
Ha god knows, I mean I was always into it and stuff but I got on tumblr and I started trying to educate myself in it. Probably around 18. And then it worked its way into my art and I dunno it works I guess!

Ah I did it on the cold war, and if we had a new one in this century. I was such a history nerd! Oh wow maths and physics? Hard stuff! What did you do your extended project on?

I think I know what you mean. I had more or less given up on Art for two years or so but I realised on the foundation that it's not something I'm not interested in, there's genuinely something there that pulls me to it. As your feeling with Architecture, I felt that with English Lit.

Oh yeah they were really lovely! It really sold newcastle to me. Its a dark film but it's so good! At times it can be confusing or so but it's such an interesting spin on Alice in wonderland and the idea of the psyche within it.

I know she's one of the poster people for performance art and advant garde. I like some of her endurance pieces but also in a way it might just be me and my bias against performance art. I still need to educate myself on it. I'm not sure how I feel about the later pieces with her enlisting performers, I've heard how it was super uncomfortable for them. But at the same time I suppose that's the point of her work?

Haha yeah probably! I heard it's nice though :smile: I should be coming up around the 20th? I think that's the move in day though I'm probably coming up on my own by train. You still up there or are you in Hull?

how's the kafka project coming along?

Cool, sometimes I feel like it's becoming a large part of society's thought process, but at the same time it seems isolated to certain groups of people - the people I tend to communicate with. Yea Tumblr... I think that's why my younger sister seems so randomly 'educated', in a sense, compared to her peers.

Oh so you did a dissertation, sounds interesting. What did you conclude?

Haha people always say hard stuff but they are just like other subjects, depends if you enjoy them :smile: I feel the say about people who study History haha.

I'm going back home to Newcastle next Friday :smile: so excited! I've seen your accommodation - it's nice. I think you get a nice kitchen.

It going okay, though I'm really trying to make it smaller now - dunno how I'm going to travel with it. A bit silly really! How about you?
Reply 17
Cool, sometimes I feel like it's becoming a large part of society's thought process, but at the same time it seems isolated to certain groups of people - the people I tend to communicate with. Yea Tumblr... I think that's why my younger sister seems so randomly 'educated', in a sense, compared to her peers.

Oh so you did a dissertation, sounds interesting. What did you conclude?

Haha people always say hard stuff but they are just like other subjects, depends if you enjoy them :smile: I feel the say about people who study History haha.

I'm going back home to Newcastle next Friday :smile: so excited! I've seen your accommodation - it's nice. I think you get a nice kitchen.

It going okay, though I'm really trying to make it smaller now - dunno how I'm going to travel with it. A bit silly really! How about you?

On my foundation course my teacher was very much an active feminist and there were a few girls in my class who were too. So it was pretty good in that sense I think, but in my social circles, aside from one friend, it's not something they particularly care about. :/

Well I said there was, going through the comparisons of the superpowers and America. It was ****ing hard! Haha I love history, which is good for the history of art bits! I think context always helps!

Oh that's great! I'm not too fussed this time round. When I was going to Kent I was so nervous! Now it's seems calmer.

It's slow in the process.... I knitted a big net with strips of cloth and now I'm thinking about whether to dip it in plaster or leave it in a fabric state. What did you make in the end?
Original post by kiki_93
On my foundation course my teacher was very much an active feminist and there were a few girls in my class who were too. So it was pretty good in that sense I think, but in my social circles, aside from one friend, it's not something they particularly care about. :/

Well I said there was, going through the comparisons of the superpowers and America. It was ****ing hard! Haha I love history, which is good for the history of art bits! I think context always helps!

Oh that's great! I'm not too fussed this time round. When I was going to Kent I was so nervous! Now it's seems calmer.

It's slow in the process.... I knitted a big net with strips of cloth and now I'm thinking about whether to dip it in plaster or leave it in a fabric state. What did you make in the end?

Oh my gosh, finally moved comfortably into my new flat - so many forms to fill being an adult now :smile:

Are you looking forward to freshers? - Is it your kind of thing?

That sounds cool! I hope it went well and you are happy with it (but if you're a perfectionist I know it's hard to admit haha)

I made a dollhouse thing with moving stars (sounds cooler than it is)

I wonder when the exhibition will be?

Hope you've moved in well.
Reply 19
Oh my gosh, finally moved comfortably into my new flat - so many forms to fill being an adult now :smile:

Are you looking forward to freshers? - Is it your kind of thing?

That sounds cool! I hope it went well and you are happy with it (but if you're a perfectionist I know it's hard to admit haha)

I made a dollhouse thing with moving stars (sounds cooler than it is)

I wonder when the exhibition will be?

Hope you've moved in well.

Oh hi! Glad you've settled in ok, I'm moving in tomorrow! I brought so much stuff haha!

Ah well I like going out and stuff sometimes but I haven't bought a wristband because I forgot/and am very poor. I don't know if I should! Are you looking foward to freshers?

That sounds like a visual joy, it'll be great to see it :smile: I changed mine I made a lot of uniform pin cushions and did a piece of writing on my relationship with Kafka which hasn't been good so far, so we'll see what happens!

Hope you're well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending