The Student Room Group

It's been a year and I still havnt done anything.

Hello Again,
Just over a year ago I joined TSR to get some help regarding starting to gain / improve my education and skill.
I've thought long and hard over the past year and have how come back for a little bit more help that, I hope, is a little bit more to the point. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

I am 23 years old and have very limited GCSEs (they were taken in 2007) although I do have a C in both Maths and English.

For many years I have felt like, despite having a comfortable job a computer tech, I have not achieved anything since I left school.

When I joined TSR I had thought about the OU as thought that I could do this and keep all my working hours with my job however am now looking at a local college as I believe this or an Apprenticeship would better suit my learning style (I feel a lot of support and guidance may be required at least for the first year white I get my balance).

So anyway onto the point. I have always quite liked the idea of some kind of Engineering. I always wanted to work on or with Aircraft in some way. Now at the age of 23 I have started to believe that starting this late it is a little out of my reach.

I am now thinking about becoming an electrician I like to take a hands on approach to work and prefer "physical" work rather than "paper" work if you can understand my phrasing there.

I have started to look at the HNC/HND in engineering although I appreciate some other requirements may need to be met before I am able to start such a level of qualification.

Would an Electronic/Electrical Engineering HNC/HND help towards a career as an electrician?
Could it also be used towards some line of work involving Aircraft?

Thanks again in advance.

N.B. The reason I day HNC/HND is because Access to Engineering can not be studied near me and a BSc is an even higher qualification that I could always use a "top up" to gain at a later date.
I'm not an expert on this but the electricians I used to work with got their positions through apprenticeships. They only have level 3 qualifications (Btec and NVQ). I also have a friend who is doing his electrical Btec at a night class with the aims of becoming an electrician. At college there were a few guys who were going onto HNC/HND and had decent careers lined up but these were more general "engineers" with mechanical and electrical responsibilities. Again I'm not sure but I believe the HNC/HND guys needed to a large individual project within the companies they already work for, so I'm not entirely sure if it's even possible to do them without relevant employment already, someone else may be able to clarify this. I think those guys doing HNC/HND needed a certain grade from the Btecs aswell and I don't think you could go one without prior Level 3 qualifications.

I was 22 when I did my apprenticeship and I've now quit a fairly decent paying job to go to uni as I feel this gives the best opportunities. I am 25 now and starting a foundation year in mechanical engineering in 3 weeks so it's never too late. Completing this will get me entry into the normal 3 year Beng in Mechanical engineering. So I will be 29 when I graduate, I have no responsibilities so it wasn't a difficult decision. If I had known about access courses I would've done one ages ago tbh.

This post is probably mostly wrong so your best bet is to contact the HNC providers directly and ask what you need to do. If your lucky you might be able to get an apprenticeship from an aircraft company who might sponsor you to complete your apprenticeship and pay for the HNC/HND and top up to Beng.
Original post by RoundTrip
I'm not an expert on this but the electricians I used to work with got their positions through apprenticeships. They only have level 3 qualifications (Btec and NVQ). I also have a friend who is doing his electrical Btec at a night class with the aims of becoming an electrician. At college there were a few guys who were going onto HNC/HND and had decent careers lined up but these were more general "engineers" with mechanical and electrical responsibilities. Again I'm not sure but I believe the HNC/HND guys needed to a large individual project within the companies they already work for, so I'm not entirely sure if it's even possible to do them without relevant employment already, someone else may be able to clarify this. I think those guys doing HNC/HND needed a certain grade from the Btecs aswell and I don't think you could go one without prior Level 3 qualifications.

I was 22 when I did my apprenticeship and I've now quit a fairly decent paying job to go to uni as I feel this gives the best opportunities. I am 25 now and starting a foundation year in mechanical engineering in 3 weeks so it's never too late. Completing this will get me entry into the normal 3 year Beng in Mechanical engineering. So I will be 29 when I graduate, I have no responsibilities so it wasn't a difficult decision. If I had known about access courses I would've done one ages ago tbh.

This post is probably mostly wrong so your best bet is to contact the HNC providers directly and ask what you need to do. If your lucky you might be able to get an apprenticeship from an aircraft company who might sponsor you to complete your apprenticeship and pay for the HNC/HND and top up to Beng.

Thank you for your input, even if you feel it may not be 100% correct, its still nice to hear that its still possible to do something and get somewhere even when you've pasts the "younger" student mark.

I have boot an appointment with a careers advisor at my local college (they offer the HNC/HND and several Btec and NVQ options too) so hopefully they can help and advise and maybe point me in a reasonable direction.

Quick Reply

Latest