The Student Room Group

old friend and new uni, help!

I have a friend that I met at the start of college 2 years ago. She'd transferred from a different college and seemed to latch on to my group so she wasnt alone. We were really close friends at first, but after a few months when she'd met some new people she just stopped bothering with me and basically ignored me. She became friends with a girl who really didnt like me, and started being really bitchy (calling me fat because she knew Id had an eating disorder and was insecure etc). She fell out with this girl and we sort of became friendly again but in my eyes, it'll never be the same coz I saw her true colours. We didnt really talk much for the last few months of college.

Now its turned out that we're going to the same uni (we're the only ones from our college going there). I didnt plan to go there from the start as it was originally my insurance but as soon as she found out I didnt get my grades and was going there, shes suddenly started talking to me and trying to be my friend again.

Im worried about it coz Im living on campus and shes not (shes going to commute every day) and i have the feeling shes going to try and use me like she did with college. It sounds horrible but I dont really want anything to do with her, yet she seems to think we're suddenly going to be best friends. I dont want her trying to stay the night in my room and use it between lectures all the time. She didnt bother with me before and I dont see why I should bother with her now.

How do I subtly let her know that I dont want her staying in my room and clinging to me etc? I dont want to fall out with her and make it awkward but at the same time I want her to know Im not going to be walked all over like i was a few years ago.
Reply 1
ignore her like she did to you...

maybe...? i would.
Yes i would also say ignore her.
Reply 3
just turn around and tell her she made it clear that she wanted nothing to do with you while at college - and you dont want to be her friend at uni ...
Yeah, don't be rude about it but make it clear that she's NOT your friend. Do it in a way so she won't even think about asking you for any favours.
Reply 5
Ignore her. How often do you see each other? Would it be hard to just cut off contact so she has no idea what your timetable is and no idea where you're staying? :smile:
Reply 6
bunthulhu
Ignore her. How often do you see each other? Would it be hard to just cut off contact so she has no idea what your timetable is and no idea where you're staying? :smile:

I hardly ever see her (even though she lives quite near me) but its difficult to avoid her completely as she keeps leaving messages and comments on my website and we also share a few friends from our old college group. And i'll have to see her during freshers week. But then again I might be able to avoid her as its unlikely I'll bump into her due to the number of people there
Reply 7
Don't be such a lamer and stop thinking into it.

Going to Uni isn't like school.
Reply 8
Just tell her to go her own way. You really don't need to be friends with someone who decided that they didn't want to be your friend once they latched onto another group of people and subsequently fell out with them.

Just be blunt and tell her that you don't want her staying in your room and you don't want to have anything to do with her.

Latest

Trending

Trending