The Student Room Group

Completed foundation engineering... what next?

I did a foundation engineering course and was told I could top up at uni that did the relevant degree, got my results, passed (yaay) ang up salford to get through via clearing just to be told I have to start from year 1. so basically I have wasted 10 grand and 2 years, when I have to start from the beginning again and now pay 9000 a year which student finance wont fund.
:'( fml.
anybody got any advice what could I do???
Thanks
Original post by Air_wolf
I did a foundation engineering course and was told I could top up at uni that did the relevant degree, got my results, passed (yaay) ang up salford to get through via clearing just to be told I have to start from year 1. so basically I have wasted 10 grand and 2 years, when I have to start from the beginning again and now pay 9000 a year which student finance wont fund.
Thanks

Hey Wolf,

Sad to hear that :s-smilie:

Can I ask who you completed the Fdn Engineering degree with or was it just some college course? Most universities should offer you a place on their full engineering degree after completing a foundation year in the same field unless they put great emphasis on specific A levels that you may not have.

Saf
Thanks

Can you give us a link to the course that you have studied?

Salford is just one university. If you have a look at the UCAS website, you'll see that there are a number of unis and college that are offering one year top up courses for September 2014 (I searched "engineering top up"). However, at this point in the cycle you might like to consider the merits of waiting a year and applying for September 2015, when you will have the full range of options available to you.
Reply 3
Original post by University of Bolton
Hey Wolf,

Sad to hear that :s-smilie:

Can I ask who you completed the Fdn Engineering degree with or was it just some college course? Most universities should offer you a place on their full engineering degree after completing a foundation year in the same field unless they put great emphasis on specific A levels that you may not have.

Saf

Hey Saf thank you for the reply, I started the course in September 2012, at Macclesfield College. At that time the course was Fdn Aircraft Engineering and maintenance validated by MMU. Originally the college offered the foundation degree and the final top up year, but apparently this year they felt it was not viable for the college to offer the course any more and so we students were left to find a uni to do the final year at.
There have been students previously that went on to salford and completed their final year.

Original post by Origami Bullets
Can you give us a link to the course that you have studied?

Salford is just one university. If you have a look at the UCAS website, you'll see that there are a number of unis and college that are offering one year top up courses for September 2014 (I searched "engineering top up"). However, at this point in the cycle you might like to consider the merits of waiting a year and applying for September 2015, when you will have the full range of options available to you.

Hi origami, I am somewhat limited to my choices, I am married and have a son plus work full time, so moving elsewhere is a little difficult. Salford was my best choice.
I have already wasted a few years messing around and I really do not wish to defer another year.
Hey Saf thank you for the reply, I started the course in September 2012, at Macclesfield College. At that time the course was Fdn Aircraft Engineering and maintenance validated by MMU. Originally the college offered the foundation degree and the final top up year, but apparently this year they felt it was not viable for the college to offer the course any more and so we students were left to find a uni to do the final year at.
There have been students previously that went on to salford and completed their final year.

Hi origami, I am somewhat limited to my choices, I am married and have a son plus work full time, so moving elsewhere is a little difficult. Salford was my best choice.
I have already wasted a few years messing around and I really do not wish to defer another year.

Morning,

You should be able to find a full engineering course somewhere then. Did your foundation last 2 years or just a year and have you been given a transcript to prove it?

Have you considered University of Bolton? We offer various courses in Engineering from Civil, which has been running for over 100 years and well known in the region aswell as our unique Automotive Performance Engineering course along with many others. Check the following link out, it will also maybe explain how we consider foundations.

Check the link out - http://www.bolton.ac.uk/Subjects/Engineering/Undergraduate/Home.aspx

Any questions just give me a shout :smile:

Saf

Quick Reply

Latest