The Student Room Group

what does it take to get 100% ums in 4 a-level.

i'm talking physics, maths, chemistry and biology and i hope to apply to cambridge to do medicine next year. so what does it take to get 100% UMS in all of my chosen subject. have you gotten a really high marks and would like to share your secret thanks.

i have also thought of doing EPQ, but is there any point in it? my teacher said i will easily get an a* or at least an a but should i do it cuz it might interfere with my a-level, the important stuff.
btw does epq grade even matter? or it it just another worthless subject like general studies.

thanks in advanced. all help/advice is appreciated.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I've heard Cambridge like students doing the EPQ, and I know universities can ask for EPQ grades as part of your offer.

As for 100% UMS... it's difficult. I only got 85% on my best AS, and I worked my ass off for that. But hey, determination can get you as far as you need to go in life.
Reply 2
You need to put yourself through a horrible year
It is basically impossible to guarantee it. If you work hard and are generally intelligent you can pretty much secure 97%+, but even then you cannot eliminate the chance of mistakes. I speak as somebody who knows a lot of stupidly intelligent people that messed up slightly (like, the guy who is 4th best at maths in the country and didn't get 100% in maths, for example).
Original post by loperdoper
I've heard Cambridge like students doing the EPQ, and I know universities can ask for EPQ grades as part of your offer.

As for 100% UMS... it's difficult. I only got 85% on my best AS, and I worked my ass off for that. But hey, determination can get you as far as you need to go in life.

oh so do u recommend taking EPQ? is it good?

and thanks man thats always great and motivational to hear.
:smile:
Original post by tysonmaniac
It is basically impossible to guarantee it. If you work hard and are generally intelligent you can pretty much secure 97%+, but even then you cannot eliminate the chance of mistakes. I speak as somebody who knows a lot of stupidly intelligent people that messed up slightly (like, the guy who is 4th best at maths in the country and didn't get 100% in maths, for example).

Agreed! i swear i will work really hard and may luck be with me haha :P
Original post by Pomum96
You need to put yourself through a horrible year

what do you mean specifically? haha if u don't mind me asking
Reply 7
Original post by swopnil
what do you mean specifically? haha if u don't mind me asking

Nah dont listen to me. If you like your subjects and are generally studious, then just give it your all. Even if you dont get 100 you can get really close- just dont crumble under pressure.
But I personally hated sixth form, particularly year 13. I never took notes, didnt have any folders, i have zero attention span, cant sit still and need to eat every 10 minutes. I also hate science and maths but i let myself get pressured into taking bio, chem and maths at A2. And i just found it so much harder than AS. I argued with teachers and was a general pain. Then became quiet and withdrawn and sad. Anyway i got 2 A*s and an A in the end but I just dont feel proud of myself. That is what i meant by a horrible year.

But obviously hopefully none of this will apply to you.
Original post by Pomum96
Nah dont listen to me. If you like your subjects and are generally studious, then just give it your all. Even if you dont get 100 you can get really close- just dont crumble under pressure.
But I personally hated sixth form, particularly year 13. I never took notes, didnt have any folders, i have zero attention span, cant sit still and need to eat every 10 minutes. I also hate science and maths but i let myself get pressured into taking bio, chem and maths at A2. And i just found it so much harder than AS. I argued with teachers and was a general pain. Then became quiet and withdrawn and sad. Anyway i got 2 A*s and an A in the end but I just dont feel proud of myself. That is what i meant by a horrible year.

But obviously hopefully none of this will apply to you.

oh sorry to hear. i will try not to let a-level and pressure get better of me. thanks for your insight! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by swopnil
oh sorry to hear. i will try not to let a-level and pressure get better of me. thanks for your insight! :smile:

if you're aiming for 100%, coursework and controlled assessments will be your biggest enemy trust me
Original post by Fifa97
if you're aiming for 100%, coursework and controlled assessments will be your biggest enemy trust me

i know man haha. in gcse statistics i got and e in coursework so it lowered my high A in exam to a B man. it sucks.
i will try my best on them. thanks.
Reply 11
Original post by swopnil
i know man haha. in gcse statistics i got and e in coursework so it lowered my high A in exam to a B man. it sucks.
i will try my best on them. thanks.

I had similar ambitions to you last year but I messed up a bit in coursework getting 1 high B and borderline As. Did quite bad in my unit 1s getting like 103/120 (86%) which I was really surprised by. Overall got a UMS average of 92.7% in top 3 so not all bad. Took same subjects as you. Practise exam technique while you are learning content that should help.
Original post by Fifa97
I had similar ambitions to you last year but I messed up a bit in coursework getting 1 high B and borderline As. Did quite bad in my unit 1s getting like 103/120 (86%) which I was really surprised by. Overall got a UMS average of 92.7% in top 3 so not all bad. Took same subjects as you. Practise exam technique while you are learning content that should help.

nice those are not bad actually! and thanks i will take the advice. so good to have someone who's been there before.

btw did u drop to 3 subject in A2? i really like all of my choices and want to stick but is there any point? like i don't want to mess up the 3 main ones by doing 4 you know?
also, lastly how much revision did you do typically?
Reply 13
Original post by swopnil
nice those are not bad actually! and thanks i will take the advice. so good to have someone who's been there before.

btw did u drop to 3 subject in A2? i really like all of my choices and want to stick but is there any point? like i don't want to mess up doing 4 as well you know?
also, lastly how much revision did you do typically?

i haven't started A2 yet just finished year 12. I'm not sure tbh, most Cambridge colleges I contacted aren't too fussed along as you study 3 sciences (including maths) and get your A*s at the end of year 13.
I did long term work so I started preparing from the start of the year all the way to the last day but you have do super curricular activities on the side. I attended summer schools, cambridge masterclasses, watched surgical videos, read oxford medical school gazette (BMJ is too mainstream haha), kings college medical lectures and the list goes on. When I say work it doesn't always have to be school work, improve your independent learning skills and show off your extended knowledge at interview and in your personal statement. Some people who do get 95% might not be doing these things and are ONLY revising which isn't the idea. Also did work experience and volunteering of course as medicine is a vocational degree. Oh I'm also halfway through my EPQ. Your actual grade in EPQ isn't that important but its the report and the topic you are researching which most top unis would be interested in. Its a good addition to the personal statement and can be a good discussion point at interview.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by swopnil
i'm talking physics, maths, chemistry and biology and i hope to apply to cambridge to do medicine next year. so what does it take to get 100% UMS in all of my chosen subject. have you gotten a really high marks and would like to share your secret thanks.

i have also though of doing EPQ, but is there any point in it? my teacher said i will easily get an a* or at least an a but should i do it cuz it might interfere with my a-level, the important stuff.
btw does epq grade even matter? or it it just another worthless subject like general studies.

thanks in advanced. all help/advice is appreciated.

There's plenty of stuff you can do to get your UMS up to the 95%+ mark, but to get 100% does require a bit of luck (apart from Maths) since all exams require a bit of guesswork to a certain extent as to what the examiners want to read. You really don't need 100% though, anything above 95% is really great, even for Cambridge.

The EPQ is definitely a good thing to do, but obviously your AS grades are much more important than your EPQ grade.
Original post by Fifa97
i haven't started A2 yet just finished year 12. I'm not sure tbh, most Cambridge colleges I contacted aren't too fussed along as you study 3 sciences (including maths) and get your A*s at the end of year 13.
I did long term work so I started preparing from the start of the year all the way to the last day but you have do super curricular activities on the side. I attended summer schools, cambridge masterclasses, watched surgical videos, read oxford medical school gazette (BMJ is too mainstream haha), kings college medical lectures and the list goes on. When I say work it doesn't always have to be school work, improve your independent learning skills and show off your extended knowledge at interview and in your personal statement. Some people who do get 95% might not be doing these things and are ONLY revising which isn't the idea. Also did work experience and volunteering of course as medicine is a vocational degree. Oh I'm also halfway through my EPQ. Your actual grade in EPQ isn't that important but its the report and the topic you are researching which most top unis would be interested in. Its a good addition to the personal statement and can be a good discussion point at interview.

oh you're amazing man, thanks. so many things i hadn't thought about before. i will certainly follow your advice. good luck to you by the way! go get them haha

btw what did you do for you EPQ? just curious
Original post by Chlorophile
There's plenty of stuff you can do to get your UMS up to the 95%+ mark, but to get 100% does require a bit of luck (apart from Maths) since all exams require a bit of guesswork to a certain extent as to what the examiners want to read. You really don't need 100% though, anything above 95% is really great, even for Cambridge.

The EPQ is definitely a good thing to do, but obviously your AS grades are much more important than your EPQ grade.

i guess 'good things happens to those who stays positive so thats what i'm doing, as well as working bloody hard haha

btw did you do EPQ and what did you do it on?
Original post by swopnil
i guess 'good things happens to those who stays positive so thats what i'm doing, as well as working bloody hard haha

btw did you do EPQ and what did you do it on?

I'm currently doing my EPQ. It's on climate change over the last 400ka.
Reply 18
Original post by swopnil
oh you're amazing man, thanks. so many things i hadn't thought about before. i will certainly follow your advice. good luck to you by the way! go get them haha

btw what did you do for you EPQ? just curious

'To what extent can the immune system be utilised in cancer immunotherapy for the advancement of cancer research' is my question with the topic generally being cancer immunotherapy. Doing some side projects as well: 1 on personalised medicine and genome sequencing which I have also started. 2nd is going to be on the sinoatrial node, atrioventricular node and possibly pacemakers. You can do your EPQ on anything.
Original post by Chlorophile
I'm currently doing my EPQ. It's on climate change over the last 400ka.

interesting!..

Quick Reply

Latest