The Student Room Group

Getting a phone in the UK

I'm coming from Canada to Newcastle and was looking for anyone's advice regarding getting a mobile phone in the UK, as I'm in a 3 year program. Are there any brands to avoid, any ones that have better international plans? I've been looking at website for the big UK telecoms and nothing is really jumping out at me and the pricing for the same thing sometimes varies wildly. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I recommend Giffgaff. It is pay as you go and uses O2 service. My friends say its really cheap. Get your phone unlocked and then use giffgaff in the UK, use your own simcard in Canada.

Otherwise, your choices will be limited as you don't have a history in the UK. When I went to get a phone, I was only able to choose one carrier O2. The deal was the best anyways so I went with it. However, giffgaff is cheaper for most people unless you are a heavy texter/data user.
Reply 2
Plus one for giffgaff. I've been on gg for two years now, love them.
Although they're not advertised as one of the "main" networks, (O2, EE, Orange, Vodafone, Virgin, 3 etc) they carry on the O2 network, so coverage is pretty good.
Pricing is fantastic. Their PAYG prices are great, and although they don't do contracts as such, you can get "goody bags" which are essentially a package of calls/data/texts that come at all different prices and last for a month.

If you're interested let me know, because if you get a SIM through me (I.e I send you a referral link etc) I get £5 free credit ^.^
I second giffgaff. You get the value of a contract but without the minimum contract length and having to pay each month, so if you go home for 2 months for the summer you don't need to worry about paying for 2 months of contract you don't use.

You can then buy International Calling Cards from o2 which make calling Canada 2p/min, or a Call Me Number which lets people in Canada call you at their local rate, which is great if they get free local calls (but you can't call them so you'd have to ask them to call you): https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/calling-international-numbers?country=CAN.

Alternatively, Skype/FaceTime/FB Messenger/whatever people instead of calling them abroad :smile:
I ordered a giffgaff SIM on ebay, and it's supposed to be able to activate once I get it in the USA before I leave. (Assuming it gets here before I leave :s-smilie:.)
Thanks so much for the heads up on giffgaff. Is there any reason not to buy a phone from them when I arrive as they seem to be better priced then in Canada and they come unlocked so I could do the reverse and pick up a sim card for use of the phone for 2 months a year in Canada?

Thanks again :smile:
Original post by Ragin_Candgian
Thanks so much for the heads up on giffgaff. Is there any reason not to buy a phone from them when I arrive as they seem to be better priced then in Canada and they come unlocked so I could do the reverse and pick up a sim card for use of the phone for 2 months a year in Canada?

Thanks again :smile:

Yes you should just buy an unlocked phone, use Giffgaff in the UK and use another sim card in Canada.
Hii, all. Can one bring his own unlocked phone to UK and then subscribe to the gigaff network?
Original post by frankmurphy
Hii, all. Can one bring his own unlocked phone to UK and then subscribe to the gigaff network?

As long as the phone is unlocked for use on any network.
Also you don't 'subscribe' to the network, you get a sim card, put it in the phone and then top it up and you're good to go

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending