The Student Room Group

Reapplying & Resitting concerns?!

Everybody, some urgent advice on this would really be appreciated :confused:

I missed my ABB offer by one grade (ABC) and considering how no Russell group or otherwise prestigious uni seemed to budge even slightly below ABB this year (Anyone else get this? I called like 12 and they all said the same thing) I've accepted my fate and realized i need to resit some AS's and get that ABB to go somewhere I really want.

But will the offers and grade boundaries stay the same?! I'm not talking about if they change for everyone, I check 2015 entry requirements, but having applied to Queen's Belfast through clearing and being rejected, they just told me if I want to reapply next year I need to get an A in BIOLOGY (My C) or else they won't accept me. They didn't even say they'd raise their ABB to AAB, they said I had to go A-C in my worst subject. Seems pretty cruel.

Will other unis do this to me if I reapply?!
I wanna get into Liverpool (ABB) or Sheffield (AAB) for 2015, but even If I get those grades will that not be enough for them because I've applied before?! I won't stand a chance with these resits otherwise, how could anyone if unis like Belfast all make it that hard.

Anybody have any experience with reapplying to Russell group unis after resits?
what are you applying for?
Original post by help!!!!!!!!!!
what are you applying for?

International Business Management
Being rejected by QUB in clearing shouldn't impact on your offer: what it usually is in these cases is that the offer for the course will be changing in the new academic year. Next year, caps on ABB comes off for universities, so I suspect there will be even less movement next year: but if you think retaking (we get to see on your UCAS form it's a retake, though, so you still may find yourself rejected as a result of this) will bring you up to a B in Biology, it's worth a shot.

If you think that's not realistically possible, I would accept the best you can get in clearing this year.
Original post by KatetheLecturer
Being rejected by QUB in clearing shouldn't impact on your offer: what it usually is in these cases is that the offer for the course will be changing in the new academic year. Next year, caps on ABB comes off for universities, so I suspect there will be even less movement next year: but if you think retaking (we get to see on your UCAS form it's a retake, though, so you still may find yourself rejected as a result of this) will bring you up to a B in Biology, it's worth a shot.

If you think that's not realistically possible, I would accept the best you can get in clearing this year.

Ok, thanks.... No as I said 2015 requirements for Belfast remain the same, they just seem to be doing this incredibly mean thing in my own case. So would you say russell groups are widely prejudiced against resits and even If I get what is asked they will still raise the offer, or give me a harsh conditional? Also because I'm applying to a uni for a second time will my chance of an offer decrease?! I think I'll call Sheffield and Liverpool to check their individual positions on this... The reason I ask so much is I need to be damn sure I can get in if I'm gonna go ahead with this resit year!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Academia Swag
Ok, thanks.... No as I said 2015 requirements for Belfast remain the same, they just seem to be doing this incredibly mean thing in my own case. So would you say russell groups are widely prejudiced against resits and even If I get what is asked they will still raise the offer, or give me a harsh conditional? Also because I'm applying to a uni for a second time will my chance of an offer decrease?! I think I'll call Sheffield and Liverpool to check their individual positions on this...

So 2015 requirements are going to be the same, but just because you tried to come through clearing they're asking you for more? That's *very* strange - usually, we don't even keep a record of people we knock back in clearing. Another thing, though - in one of my programmes, we are going to be raising the requirements for next academic year, though prospective students don't know yet because the new cycle of admissions hasn't started: so it could be that. Or it could just be their sop when it comes to resits - a lot of RG universities don't accept resits at all, so you're worth checking with individual universities - and some of those that do ask for higher (which could also be what's going on with QUB) on principle: because they have their pick of people who got what they wanted the first time round, essentially.

It seems very unfair given that I can't imagine biology is a key component of international business - but don't forget, with top universities it really is a buyer's market, unfortunately.

You do have another option, which is to accept somewhere of lesser stature now, through clearing, work your tail off for your first year and then transfer. However, it's worth checking with universities you'd like to go to that a) they accept transfers and b) whether you'd need to repeat your first year. This is an issue because if the requirement's to repeat L4, you're usually judged on your A level grades (though you'd still have to pass the year at wherever you went) - so you won't be any better off. If they'd take you into L5 (second year - which happens if the learning outcomes and content etc are similar enough that you'd be sufficiently prepared for the other university's second year) that would be the best option.

It's really worth asking plenty of questions, because there's no point resitting if you're not going to be in a stronger position as a result.
Oh, and don't be afraid to ask about things like requirements and the possibility of transfers etc - don't assume something's possible in one place because it is at another. Besides, we'd all rather you came to us with all your questions answered, and being sure it's the right place etc - to be cliched, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!
For some courses, off the top of my head, Nottingham, ask that if you need to resit you must get it on an A rather than what they usually offer (like a B) but it is easily done, I brought a C in chemistry to an A on my year out, did you try to get on to the course through clearing?
Reply 8
So i’m 1 mark off an A* in biology and I got my unit 4 remarked and it’s the same mark back.
I have hit a dilemma. I have no idea whether to get my ISA remarked as I feel I was super lucky with the mark I got.

So I could retake? Easy enough but it could put a damper on my time in America.
Also having an A* may boost my chances for Durham to get into the college of my choice.

But again, America… Like I don’t need the A* to apply to durham and have already got the grades they need so could enjoy a year exam free.

But then, if I wanted to apply to Oxford in the future or for my own personal achievement as i worked incredibly hard to get an A* and was getting A*S for the unit 4 exam i'd retake so… retake?

But then, is an A* worth that much compared to a first in a degree? Are A levels one of those things like GCSEs that mean nothing a couple of stages later?

Any help would be lovely :smile:
Original post by hope1817
So i’m 1 mark off an A* in biology and I got my unit 4 remarked and it’s the same mark back.
I have hit a dilemma. I have no idea whether to get my ISA remarked as I feel I was super lucky with the mark I got.

So I could retake? Easy enough but it could put a damper on my time in America.
Also having an A* may boost my chances for Durham to get into the college of my choice.

But again, America… Like I don’t need the A* to apply to durham and have already got the grades they need so could enjoy a year exam free.

But then, if I wanted to apply to Oxford in the future or for my own personal achievement as i worked incredibly hard to get an A* and was getting A*S for the unit 4 exam i'd retake so… retake?

But then, is an A* worth that much compared to a first in a degree? Are A levels one of those things like GCSEs that mean nothing a couple of stages later?

Any help would be lovely :smile:

If you've already been accepted (can't work out if you've just met the general ask, or if you've got a deferred place from your post) at Durham, leave it as it is, have a great year in the US and come back and crack on with your degree. Most people who go want to go to Durham want to be in Castle (because they think it would be cool to live in a castle - seriously, unfortunately!) but in all likelihood, if you're going to enjoy Durham as a university, you're going to enjoy whichever college you end up: the overwhelming majority of people fall in love with where they get put, get into the college swing of things and often, those that don't (I do know of one girl who changed college from 2nd to 3rd year) are often those for whom Durham as an institution isn't working anyway. So I don't think it's worth retaking even in the hope of getting your first choice college - you've done really well, so just kick back and enjoy :-)
Original post by KatetheLecturer
If you've already been accepted (can't work out if you've just met the general ask, or if you've got a deferred place from your post) at Durham, leave it as it is, have a great year in the US and come back and crack on with your degree. Most people who go want to go to Durham want to be in Castle (because they think it would be cool to live in a castle - seriously, unfortunately!) but in all likelihood, if you're going to enjoy Durham as a university, you're going to enjoy whichever college you end up: the overwhelming majority of people fall in love with where they get put, get into the college swing of things and often, those that don't (I do know of one girl who changed college from 2nd to 3rd year) are often those for whom Durham as an institution isn't working anyway. So I don't think it's worth retaking even in the hope of getting your first choice college - you've done really well, so just kick back and enjoy :-)

Thank you so much!
I think I'm coming to the realisation that I would literally learn nothing new by retaking as I was getting A*s in the mocks of it anyway. All I would get is the grade. I need to gain skills this year to enable me to get a first in degree level rather than go over the same old stuff and let it hold me back, I just guess it's going to be a struggle to let go of that grade and just to be satisfied with my own level of achievement personally, another struggle. Thank you so much for replying such a helpful paragraph!
Original post by hope1817
Thank you so much!
I think I'm coming to the realisation that I would literally learn nothing new by retaking as I was getting A*s in the mocks of it anyway. All I would get is the grade. I need to gain skills this year to enable me to get a first in degree level rather than go over the same old stuff and let it hold me back, I just guess it's going to be a struggle to let go of that grade and just to be satisfied with my own level of achievement personally, another struggle. Thank you so much for replying such a helpful paragraph!

With a cracking attitude like that, it's clear you're going to get loads out of your gap year, and that will honestly benefit your degree far more than some retakes: you're totally right - you've done the A levels, you know the stuff, it's a little bit disappointing (though there's no need - you've done fantastically) it's time to look to the next hurdle. Have a fantastic year, and a brilliant time with your degree!
Original post by Academia Swag
Everybody, some urgent advice on this would really be appreciated :confused:

I missed my ABB offer by one grade (ABC) and considering how no Russell group or otherwise prestigious uni seemed to budge even slightly below ABB this year (Anyone else get this? I called like 12 and they all said the same thing) I've accepted my fate and realized i need to resit some AS's and get that ABB to go somewhere I really want.

But will the offers and grade boundaries stay the same?! I'm not talking about if they change for everyone, I check 2015 entry requirements, but having applied to Queen's Belfast through clearing and being rejected, they just told me if I want to reapply next year I need to get an A in BIOLOGY (My C) or else they won't accept me. They didn't even say they'd raise their ABB to AAB, they said I had to go A-C in my worst subject. Seems pretty cruel.

Will other unis do this to me if I reapply?!
I wanna get into Liverpool (ABB) or Sheffield (AAB) for 2015, but even If I get those grades will that not be enough for them because I've applied before?! I won't stand a chance with these resits otherwise, how could anyone if unis like Belfast all make it that hard.

Anybody have any experience with reapplying to Russell group unis after resits?

The reason universities are so strict on ABB specifically is because of this government's Student Number Controls.

Basically, universities are allowed to recruit as many students as they want who achieve ABB+ (or equivalent in other qualifications). However each university has a quota for how many students they can take with under ABB, and if they exceed this quota, they are fined for every student they are over.

When it comes to results day, if a university is close to it's <ABB quota then they will only accept people with ABB+ else they'll get fined. Given how difficult it is to administer admissions in universities because of the unpredictable nature of A Levels and people's application strategies, it's quite easy to end up coming close to the quota.

It's hard to say in either case whether resitting would be beneficial or not, as some Russell Group and other universities 'in higher demand' if you like don't look favourably on resits. Conversely, if you pull off much better grades, then of course it boosts your chance of getting onto another course.

I personally feel like the one thing I didn't get out of my university experience was travel abroad, so I'd probably pick the gap year and take the time to develop some skills which will help you boss your degree and get on to do what you want in life :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending