The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

fed up of people making fun of dyslexia?

I love a joke as much as the next person, I don't even mind dyslexia jokes; they're funny.
What I really don't like is when people make fun of a particular person's spelling or writing because they're dyslexic. Thats not funny, its just mean. Many people really struggle with dyslexia all through their life. I'm lucky and I am only midly affected, but it still upsets me when someone makes a comment about my spelling. There's no point, it is legible, everyone knows what I am saying. so why point it out? Its rather pathetic. I'm not unintelligent, I just can't spell very well.

Does anyone else encounter the same kind of treatment and or have a different view?

Scroll to see replies

I point out mistakes if my friends ever make one in their writing, but it's not in a malicious way it's because I don't want them to make mistakes. I think it's cruel when someone makes fun of people with dyslexia, but then I'm sure some dyslexics make fun of people with other difficulties such as wearing glasses.

I sometimes make spelling mistakes myself, probably in this thread but it's quite rare.
Reply 2
that's cruel
worst.name.ever.
I think it's hilarious.

Not that I don't understand, sympathize and respect the problems dyslexia brings, it's just that more often than not, the mistakes made completely change the meaning of a sentence, often to something ridiculous.

Far from condemning Dyslexics, i seek them out, and if i'm in a bad mood, i'll just get them to write something, and then i'll laugh and feel better.

Seek out Dyslexics! They're the best pick-me-ups you'll ever find!

I'm only letting you get away with this because I know you :wink:
You're an arse.
Anyway, I've seen your drawings, now that is hilarious. You can't even draw stickmen. Plus I may not be able to write very well but I still kicked your ass in english.
I am now going to seek out people who cannot draw and watch them struggle to make me feel better, all because of you. arse face
lal :biggrin:
worst.name.ever.
I think it's hilarious.

Not that I don't understand, sympathize and respect the problems dyslexia brings, it's just that more often than not, the mistakes made completely change the meaning of a sentence, often to something ridiculous.

Far from condemning Dyslexics, i seek them out, and if i'm in a bad mood, i'll just get them to write something, and then i'll laugh and feel better.

Seek out Dyslexics! They're the best pick-me-ups you'll ever find!

Hug a Dyslexic today!

Be careful, hopefully someone or three will come along and neg-rep you for that.

If a dyslexic reads that post you could and probably will leave them feeling really ****ty about themselves.
looks like worst.name.ever didn't realise who he was messing with!
haha:p:
dyslexics unite against the smarmy comments that come our way! No longer will they get away with it, mwhahaha.:biggrin:
Reply 7
Well, I agree sometimes it is bad... but also it is one of those things which is quite often used as an exuse... don't bully me I have dyslexia. wah wah wah!

In genuine cases it is harsh.
yeh, i think its even more insulting when people use it as an excuse because it trivualises the times when actually is a problem.
Don Vito Corleone
Be careful, hopefully someone or three will come along and neg-rep you for that.

If a dyslexic reads that post you could and probably will leave them feeling really ****ty about themselves.

OR they could get a sense of humour and deal with it instead of looking for an excuse to get upset. I didn't say anything particularly derogatary, get over it.
paranoid android
looks like worst.name.ever didn't realise who he was messing with!
haha:p:
dyslexics unite against the smarmy comments that come our way! No longer will they get away with it, mwhahaha.:biggrin:

Or should that be "dyslexics untie"?

(Sorry, sorry, crap joke I know, but couldn't help it...don't hate me!)

I agree it's mean when people are offensive in a serious way, but I everyone has to put up with playful jokes, right?
i don't mind jokes (as I said at the beginig) thats fine, I have a sense of humour. I just don't think its right when it's used to upset the person. I've been called stupid many a time for not being able to write or read well, thats not funny. I'm not asking to be treated differently I'm asking to be treated fairly with respect.
worst.name.ever.
OR they could get a sense of humour and deal with it instead of looking for an excuse to get upset. I didn't say anything particularly derogatary, get over it.

I don't think it's a case of them getting a sense of humour, they probably find a lot of things funny like you or I. But if you were a bit on the chubby side, or wore glasses and got laughed at because of that, would you just get a sense of humour and 'deal with it?'
thisisnic
Or should that be "dyslexics untie"?

(Sorry, sorry, crap joke I know, but couldn't help it...don't hate me!)

I agree it's mean when people are offensive in a serious way, but I everyone has to put up with playful jokes, right?

I'll let you off, even though it really is a crap joke :p:
People don't always make jokes BECAUSE someone is dyslexic. Unless you tell them you're dyslexic how are they supposed to know? You could just be crap at spelling.

However, if there are any people out there who are just crap at spelling but use the excuse they are dyslexic to make themselves sound better then they do deserve to be laughed at.
I think it's bad to mock anyone for anything and laugh at them, but to genuinely laugh with them about something is good.

If someone's making a post on a specific topic, and they keep on making the same mistake in the spelling of a key word, I don't see why pointing it out in a gentle manner is a bad thing. To point, laugh, shout, jeer and mock, however, is stupid. Also, it's wise to remember that everyone makes typing errors sometimes.
Reply 16
yes people pointing out spelling mistakes in posts is very annoying, what am i supposed to do, wear a big sash saying WARNING DISLEXIC? :rolleyes:
im use to people makeing fun of me and my thread/post getting -rep and my reply post saying unplesent stuff
when i first started using TSR i put it in my singnature about my dyslexia
im not ashamed about my dyslexia because ive know that i had it when i was about 3 - 5 years old so ive knowen all my life
and i dont care what people now about people making fun of me because of my dyslexia. its a disability its in the same class as being in a wheel chair to the goverment and the new disability law class dyslexia people as well

i am proud to have Dyslexia it make me the person i am today

ps read signature
old macdonald was dyslexic...

T X G H S

(don't shout at me....there is dyslexia amongst my family members. i know how serious it is. but laughter is a perfectly legitimate method of dealing with any problem).
Only if the other person is laughing too.

Latest

Trending

Trending