The Student Room Group

AS AQA Geography - What is it like??

I got my GCSE Result today and i Got an A* in Geography. I got full marks in the physical paper and a high A* in the human paper. Is there a big step up??
not at all id say geography is probably the smallest step from gcse to a level
its a fun subject and not too hard :smile:
i got a B at gcse and i got A at as level
Original post by cchocolate
not at all id say geography is probably the smallest step from gcse to a level
its a fun subject and not too hard :smile:
i got a B at gcse and i got A at as level

I've just done my first year of geography A-level, (I got full marks on both papers), and I'd say that the stepup is probably the smallest one like other people have said, but don't underestimate some of the topics you have never studied. Rivers and Population were easy for me, because I'd been doing them for the last 2 years before a level. However, Health and glaciation were harder, but being a physical geographer glaciation turned out to be my favourite one. I hated health with a passion and definately got complacent towards the end. Just make sure your notes are up to date and organised and you'll be fine. One massive, massive point is to get your terminology down to a tee. It's one of those things you pick up going along, but make sure you cram as much topic-specific vocab into everything as you can, especially when doing practice question because once you get used to it, it becomes second nature and it's very hard to forget. Just please remeber this because terminology is a huge deal-breaker and will mean the difference between a C and an A, quite literally. One more thing, always include located examples or examples in your 7 and 15 marks answers!

Enjoy Geography A-level and well done on your results!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Marcusroye98
I got my GCSE Result today and i Got an A* in Geography. I got full marks in the physical paper and a high A* in the human paper. Is there a big step up??

Just finished AS. Not much of a step up, the main thing I thought was difficult was that there's one 2 hour exam which tests you on both the physical and human topics rather than two separate exams. Trying to not mix up facts between case studies and just remember everything was very difficult. That being said I though I'd messed up completely and ended up getting a high A at AS. Just practice exam technique and do plenty of past papers and you should be fine.
Original post by LukeWishart
I've just done my first year of geography A-level, (I got full marks on both papers), and I'd say that the stepup is probably the smallest one like other people have said, but don't underestimate some of the topics you have never studied. Rivers and Population were easy for me, because I'd been doing them for the last 2 years before a level. However, Health and glaciation were harder, but being a physical geographer glaciation turned out to be my favourite one. I hated health with a passion and definately got complacent towards the end. Just make sure your notes are up to date and organised and you'll be fine. One massive, massive point is to get your terminology down to a tee. It's one of those things you pick up going along, but make sure you cram as much topic-specific vocab into everything as you can, especially when doing practice question because once you get used to it, it becomes second nature and it's very hard to forget. Just please remeber this because terminology is a huge deal-breaker and will mean the difference between a C and an A, quite literally. One more thing, always include located examples or examples in your 7 and 15 marks answers!

woah full marks well done :smile:

Congratulations!!
Thanks for the advice :biggrin:
I love physical geography too :biggrin:
Original post by Chrasty
Just finished AS. Not much of a step up, the main thing I thought was difficult was that there's one 2 hour exam which tests you on both the physical and human topics rather than two separate exams. Trying to not mix up facts between case studies and just remember everything was very difficult. That being said I though I'd messed up completely and ended up getting a high A at AS. Just practice exam technique and do plenty of past papers and you should be fine.

Thank-you and well done :biggrin:
woah full marks well done :smile:

Haha, thanks mate, can't believe it myself tbh! I think the exam office have fudgef up haha :wink:
Original post by Marcusroye98
Congratulations!!
Thanks for the advice :biggrin:
I love physical geography too :biggrin:

Thankyou :smile: I thought the physical geog in as is really interesting, especially glaciation, and I couldn't seem to forget anything in that unit because I enjoyed it so much! :wink:
Thankyou :smile: I thought the physical geog in as is really interesting, especially glaciation, and I couldn't seem to forget anything in that unit because I enjoyed it so much! :wink:

Thats really good If you enjoy it so much you can do it at uni:wink:
Haha, thanks mate, can't believe it myself tbh! I think the exam office have fudgef up haha :wink:

Whoops I replied to the wrong comment :eek::eek:
but yh if you enjoy it you should consider doing it at uni:biggrin::biggrin:
Whoops I replied to the wrong comment :eek::eek:
but yh if you enjoy it you should consider doing it at uni:biggrin::biggrin:

Haha, I've already decided I want to do geography with natural hazards at coventry, so fingers crossed my other grades live up to it because it's BBC and I got ACD!
Haha, I've already decided I want to do geography with natural hazards at coventry, so fingers crossed my other grades live up to it because it's BBC and I got ACD!

Don't worry you've got more hope than me
i got abc and I need three As which is gonna be really hard lol

Quick Reply

Latest