The Student Room Group

Am I Smart Enough For This?!

Was looking at prospectuses last night and was looking at what different courses I could take at Uni, and Law kept popping up as one I would really like to do.

But I have been looking at all of your GCSE results and you all have like all A*s and As. I know you have to be smart to do Law and apply yourself but I feel like if I really try hard I could do it.

I know you can't tell me definitely yes or no if I am smart enough but wondering if any sucessful law students out there could tell me if they were in the same position as I am now.

I got 1 a, 3 bs, 4 cs and looking to take Applied ICT, English Language, Psychology at A Level and Food at AS Level (so I have some knowledge how to cook for myself!) .. (also.. at year 10 and 11 I never really bothered, when the results came it has made me feel really stupid because I know I can do better so don't think I'm stupid okay! thanks.. :smile:!)

I would be really great if you could help me out, Thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Please don't take food at AS level, you should be able to cook for yourself without needing a qualification in it. We'll have A levels in serving burgers at Mcdonalds soon enough.

Anyway what unis are you aiming for?, if you give people an idea they may be able to help you better :smile:
Reply 2
Okay I won't!..:smile: Can you give me any idea what other subject might be able to help me towards law.. My teacher told me you shouldn't do law as an A Level because Unis don't like that if you're going to study law as a degree?

Well see that's the thing I don't know what Unis are good for doing a Law subject. At the minute I have prospectuses for Sheffield Hallam, Hertfordshire, Coventry, Durham. So I'm in a bit of a pickle to be honest!
Unis used to not like law a-level much, but I think they are coming round to it more. Any subject academic is fine, from geography, to maths, to biology etc
Reply 4
Okidoki, going in to school Wednesday to change my option from food!.. Thanks for the help :smile: any more guidance is greatly appreciated!
Ok, well if you want me to be perfectly honest with you I think you could parhaps reconsider your A level options. If you are applying for certain unis (if you want to keep your options open) then you may want to change applied ICT to something more academic. If you do those subjects listed above then you will find it very hard to get into somewhere like durham.

As for law, I think the reason some unis don't like it is because it really simplifies law and therefore could get you into bad habits when you do it at a more advanced level. If you want to do law as an A level or even an AS level then go for it, provided you have other solid academic subjects then you won't get rejected just for doing law. I may be wrong but I think only the very top law schools are against A level law.

If you look at the sticked thread at the top of this forum there is a list of the typical university offers, so take a look at that and you should get some idea of where you should roughly be aiming for. Also if you go to the times site there is a subject specific league table which will show you which are the best etc.
Reply 6
Okay thanks!.. I thought ICT, was academic?.. Do you think business would be okay?.. Even though I didn't take it at GCSE?
LSE published a list of so- called 'blacklisted' subjects, which would only be desirable if you had one listed subject in combination with traditional subjects. And IIRC business is on the list. Eng lang and psychology are respected, but if your going to aim high you may want to take a 'stronger' subject with them.
Yup, although you can get into still very good schools with it. Maybe ruling out the very elite and the extremely picky such as LSE/oxbridge etc at an early stage. But if you went to somewhere like sheffield or newcastle etc it would still give you a very good degree!
Reply 9
Okay.. so what are the stronger subjects like maths?.. or .. can you help me once more :confused:
Reply 10
Well I suppose if I aim high then I will get in to an alright uni, but if I aim low I won't do that well?.. That's my way of thinking anyway!
well like lewis said, anything academic is fine eg geog, history, economics, maths etc. Do what you will enjoy though.

Its always best to aim high, it will also open up your options more.
Reply 12
I suppose I should take maths then.. my brother did it at imperial uni and my mum has a degree in maths don't think I could get any more help than that, also enjoy maths just never really thought about taking it at a level!
ok, if you're sure :smile: maths is a good subject.
Reply 14
Cool stuff!.. thank you so much everyone by the way! think I have my options sorted :biggrin:
Reply 15
English Lit is preferred to English Language.
Im not sure its preferred, but lit is certainly mroe interesting.

Lol my mates dad is a professor of neurology in the med school at Imperial but he studies American studies ... just goes to show you arent always as good as ur parents etc!!
Reply 17
Okay, I'll speak to my teachers at school!.. any way going to watch all of series 10 of friends now :smile: last time i'll get to do it before the xmas hols! thanks again!:redface:
Reply 18
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Im not sure its preferred, but lit is certainly mroe interesting.

Lol my mates dad is a professor of neurology in the med school at Imperial but he studies American studies ... just goes to show you arent always as good as ur parents etc!!

Well fingers crossed in my case I am :rolleyes:
Reply 19
sarah-h1990
Was looking at prospectuses last night and was looking at what different courses I could take at Uni, and Law kept popping up as one I would really like to do.

But I have been looking at all of your GCSE results and you all have like all A*s and As. I know you have to be smart to do Law and apply yourself but I feel like if I really try hard I could do it.

I know you can't tell me definitely yes or no if I am smart enough but wondering if any sucessful law students out there could tell me if they were in the same position as I am now.

I got 1 a, 3 bs, 4 cs and looking to take Applied ICT, English Language, Psychology at A Level and Food at AS Level (so I have some knowledge how to cook for myself!) .. (also.. at year 10 and 11 I never really bothered, when the results came it has made me feel really stupid because I know I can do better so don't think I'm stupid okay! thanks.. :smile:!)

I would be really great if you could help me out, Thanks! :smile:

History is meant to be very good for a law application- analytical skills. How about doing psych, english, history and then maybe maths at As. Don't forget you don't have to study law at undergraduate level you could do a different degree and then do law conversion later on.

Don't be disheartened by your GCSE's plenty of people can excel at Alevel without A's and A*'s at GCSE. It also sounds as if you are prepared to work hard. Just knuckle down and get some good As levels and then think more about uni's next year when you have a better idea of your grades!

Best of luck x

Latest

Trending

Trending