The Student Room Group

Do you certificate AS subjects you are continuing to A2?

I did AS exams in 5 subjects. I am continuing with 4 of these to A2, and dropping one.

Do I put all 5 of these subjects - along with the grades - in the AS section of the UCAS form, as well as my 4 full A-Levels with 'pending'?

Or can I only put the one I am not taking to A2 in the AS section.

My school says I only put the dropped subject (because they will certificate this), but I actually want to put all 5 to show unis my grades at AS (because I am pleased with them). And I'm not resitting any units.

Please clear this up for me, because I *really* don't trust my school. :mad:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My school says I only put the dropped subject (because they will certificate this)
They're right.

But with that said, I know many people who've just entered their AS grades regardless of whether they're carrying them on to A2... they didn't seem to encounter any problems.
Reply 2
I did AS exams in 5 subjects. I am continuing with 4 of these to A2, and dropping one.

Do I put all 5 of these subjects - along with the grades - in the AS section of the UCAS form, as well as my 4 full A-Levels with 'pending'?

My school says I only put the dropped subject (because they will certificate this), but I actually want to put all 5 to show unis my grades at AS (because I am pleased with them). And I'm not resitting any units.

As far as I know, if your AS grades are cashed in, you have to put them on the form regardless of whether you're carrying them on to A2 or not. If it's your school's policy not to cash in if you're continuing with the subject, you could always ask them to mention your grades in your reference.
Reply 4
Loving the prompt replies guys :smile:

Kelly - you mention a school policy: does this mean schools can certificate ASs continued to A2 if they want to (but my school just obviously doesn't), or are all schools bound by the same rules?

I'm just really confused: at the end of year 13 do you get two certificates (AS and A2), or does the A2 'cancel out' the lower AS. Aghhh!

Thanks for your patience! :smile:
Reply 5
Schools can do whatever they want really. If they don't certificate all AS's, they have to mention this in your reference and thus unis will know why they can't see your grades.
Reply 6
Easy as ABC

Yes!

Easy as ABC

No

Easy as ABC

Sounds as if your school has a policy of not cashing in grades. You need to talk to them and either ask if you can cash them in (certificate them) or if they can mention your AS grades in their reference. Personally, if you are pleased with your grades I would ask whether you can cash them in!

Good luck.
I put all my subjects and grades that I got at AS- Just as well really cos the subject I dropped was a terrible grade! :biggrin:
Reply 8
My school told us to only put in what we arn't continuing.
Easy as ABC
Loving the prompt replies guys :smile:

Kelly - you mention a school policy: does this mean schools can certificate ASs continued to A2 if they want to (but my school just obviously doesn't), or are all schools bound by the same rules?

I'm just really confused: at the end of year 13 do you get two certificates (AS and A2), or does the A2 'cancel out' the lower AS. Aghhh!

Thanks for your patience! :smile:

Yeah, it means schools can choose whether or not to cash in AS grades. It sounds like yours doesn't (mine didn't either) so you can either ask your exams officer if you can cash yours in or just ask your referee to mention your grades in your reference along with the fact that it's school policy not to cash in. I think you just get one certificate if it's a full A-level because an A2 isn't a stand alone qualification like AS, just the second part.
Reply 10
purplerat
My school told us to only put in what we arn't continuing.
That's fine, but I would double-check first that what you aren't continuing has been cashed in and what you are continuing hasn't.
On my UCAS form my college insisted I put down all of my AS results, even the subject I declined, they wouldn't let me put 'pending' as the grade, I just had to put what I got, even though it would later go up following a resit. Don't think it did any harm though.
Reply 12
That's fine, but I would double-check first that what you aren't continuing has been cashed in and what you are continuing hasn't.

Err.. but cashing in the AS is fine anyway isn't it? If you're carrying it on, there's nothing wrong with it being cashed in.
Reply 13
Yes, but then you'd have to put down the AS grade, and purplerat's school said not to - to not put down the grade they'd have to not cash in.
Reply 14
Madprof
Yes, but then you'd have to put down the AS grade, and purplerat's school said not to - to not put down the grade they'd have to not cash in.

Yeah Our school does cash in our AS grades. I only put down the cashed in ones :smile:
Reply 15
Easy as ABC

When you had your results, did it give an overall AS grade or just the individual module results?
If there was an overall AS grade as well as the module results, then they were cashed in. Regardless of this, you can put them on the ucas form anyway, because you can enter individual module grades now.

If you want the results to be on your form, then you should put them in. I don't think the school can do anything about it really.
Reply 16
My exam board is non-modules, so I just get subject and grade. Does this mean theyre automatically cashed in or certified? I want to write 3 AS levels, but not 2, so should I decline them and write AS pending or Alevel pending?
What do you suggest?

pd, Im continuing them all to A2.
Reply 17
I know for a fact that my school doesn't cash in our results. We've been told to put 'pending' in our alevels and leave the Aslevels:mad: .
But I am really thrilled with my results and want the universities to see that, so is there anyway or how I could cash in my results? someone mentioned you could enter your ums scores, where can you do that on your ucas form:confused: .
I am getting really confused with the whole application process:frown: .
Reply 18
moonscape
I know for a fact that my school doesn't cash in our results. We've been told to put 'pending' in our alevels and leave the Aslevels:mad: .
But I am really thrilled with my results and want the universities to see that, so is there anyway or how I could cash in my results? someone mentioned you could enter your ums scores, where can you do that on your ucas form:confused: .
I am getting really confused with the whole application process:frown: .

You could ask your teacher to mention your results in the reference.
supercat
You could ask your teacher to mention your results in the reference.

:ditto: Especially as you have some amazing UMS marks for maths and biology :smile: