The Student Room Group

Is English AS level right for me?

So I've got into 6th form, and my choices are pretty much settled - art, psychology, geography and english literature. I am looking forward to all of them except english which I'm a bit nervous about.
I just got my GCSE's and got A in English lit and A* in English language. I'm really pleased with that as I always did well in english - I'm quite good at analysing texts etc...
The only thing is I'm really not an avid reader. I've never been good at settling into books and would have to find one that was interesting from the start, then I'd just read that over and over! For GCSE I never even read the whole books... I read most of the chapters as we had to be able to study them in class but any we didn't focus on I sort of skimmed through.
So I do enjoy english, and the books were quite thought provoking from GCSE but I'm just nervous that as A levels require such independence (especially with reading) that I won't be able to do it. I've had the whole summer and have only read about half of 1984 by George Orwell... I feel like I'm forcing myself really.
My dilemma is I think I'm good at english, I think I enjoy it (???) and it goes with my other subjects (sort of arty), but I'm not the best reader and the teacher recommended that we ought to enjoy reading to suit english. We study 4 books and some poetry in one year, which is a lot for me! Also, the books are slightly gruesome and depressing... which doesn't make me look forward to studying them.
My other option would be maths...
Any advice?
First off, congratulations on your GCSES!! Really impressive
Original post by Ellen97
The only thing is I'm really not an avid reader. I've never been good at settling into books and would have to find one that was interesting from the start, then I'd just read that over and over! For GCSE I never even read the whole books... I read most of the chapters as we had to be able to study them in class but any we didn't focus on I sort of skimmed through.
So I do enjoy english, and the books were quite thought provoking from GCSE but I'm just nervous that as A levels require such independence (especially with reading) that I won't be able to do it. I've had the whole summer and have only read about half of 1984 by George Orwell... I feel like I'm forcing myself really.

If you don't enjoy reading it's going to be pretty hard for you to enjoy Eng Lit. Many people in my class who really excelled in GCSE struggled at the start of the AS course because there's just so much to read, and they didn't have the proper passion to them. So my advice is if you really dread all the extra reading (maybe have a look over those "slightly gruesome and depressing" texts first and see what you really think about them), probably don't do English Literature at AS. But I'm no expert, I'm just a chap from the year above--discuss with your teacher and see what (s)he thinks!!
I think you will be fine, there really isn't a high volume of reading and you definitely don't have to read everything suggested. This said, if you think you would enjoy learning about something else more I would suggest you consider changing subjects if you are able. Most colleges will let you do this a few weeks in.

If you can write with authority and can form cogent arguments it is pretty hard not to get an A but ask yourself if your year might be better spent.

Good luck.
Reply 3
Original post by SeftonStalag
First off, congratulations on your GCSES!! Really impressive

If you don't enjoy reading it's going to be pretty hard for you to enjoy Eng Lit. Many people in my class who really excelled in GCSE struggled at the start of the AS course because there's just so much to read, and they didn't have the proper passion to them. So my advice is if you really dread all the extra reading (maybe have a look over those "slightly gruesome and depressing" texts first and see what you really think about them), probably don't do English Literature at AS. But I'm no expert, I'm just a chap from the year above--discuss with your teacher and see what (s)he thinks!!

I think I will talk with my teacher. It is a bit too late to change my subject now, and the other subjects I was considering like maths or photography etc have drawbacks as well. I think I'll probably stick with english and drop it after a year. I know the teachers will support me with it, and I always knew there would be one subject I wouldn't enjoy as much as the others. As for the books, I'll read as much as I can and try and take a positive view of them...!
Thanks for your advice :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ByronicHero
I think you will be fine, there really isn't a high volume of reading and you definitely don't have to read everything suggested. This said, if you think you would enjoy learning about something else more I would suggest you consider changing subjects if you are able. Most colleges will let you do this a few weeks in.

If you can write with authority and can form cogent arguments it is pretty hard not to get an A but ask yourself if your year might be better spent.

Good luck.

Yeah, I was considering other subjects instead of english, but I think they all have drawbacks. I've seen some of my brothers maths work and I think I might struggle with that... Also photography is very oversubscribed and the equipment will be expensive... and Design and technology I feel I would enjoy but I didn't take it for GCSE so would be quite behind, and they probably wouldn't let me in. I am a bit nervous that I might struggle with the reading but because I think I'm better at the actual essays, I could end up with a decent grade. If not, I think I'll drop it after AS anyway, as the other 3 subjects I have chosen are more what I'm interested in.
Thanks for your advice, it was very helpful :smile:
Well done! We got the same English grades!!:smile: I'm doing literature too and I'm also really not in to reading- but I was assured by the head of sixth that there isn't too much heavy reading, it's just about making annotations when needed and being able to analyse sections of text :smile:
I am on the AQA board for literature so I'm not sure if the principles would be the same!
Good luck!!! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Jasminem97
Well done! We got the same English grades!!:smile: I'm doing literature too and I'm also really not in to reading- but I was assured by the head of sixth that there isn't too much heavy reading, it's just about making annotations when needed and being able to analyse sections of text :smile:
I am on the AQA board for literature so I'm not sure if the principles would be the same!
Good luck!!! :biggrin:

Thats good to hear, I can do annotations! I think I'm on the AQA board as well :smile: What other subjects are you taking? Mine are mostly essay based which I'm slightly nervous about..
I'm not an avid reader myself and still managed an A at A2 without reading everything :colondollar: despite the fact I'm not a massive reader, I thoroughly enjoyed English Lit and I'd definitely recommend it. It sounds like you're very good at the subject so that would obviously benefit you. :smile: if you have any questions, feel free to ask :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ellen97
Thats good to hear, I can do annotations! I think I'm on the AQA board as well :smile: What other subjects are you taking? Mine are mostly essay based which I'm slightly nervous about..

The AQA board apparently has a lot of war poetry and American novels, so maybe you'll enjoy that too?:smile: I love annotations too, it makes things so clear!
I'm taking Literature, PE, Psychology and Business Studies/Biology(Can't decide between the 2 haha!) so a good mix of exam/essay and practical subjects! what are you taking?
Which board are your school on? English requires a lot of work and background reading which would be very hard to cope with if you are not into reading and don't enjoy it. My only thing I would say is that Art is extremely time consuming and could jeopardise your chances of good AS level results like it did for me. Please think very very carefully about art, as I would hate for you having to resit the year like I have to do because Art took up all my time and I had no time for my other three subjects.
Reply 10
I think the amount of independent study people say you need is greatly exaggerated, at least for AS level. Like you, I performed well at GCSE but am not much of a reader; I went into English AS expecting this to have to change and to be vastly more challenged than at GCSE, but it often is just more of the same. If you have open book exams then it's even better; you really need only know your way around some themes and you can come up with close analysis points in the examination. I can't claim that my approach will necessarily work for others as everyone learns in different ways and excels in different areas and manners, but to be honest I don't know anyone in my year who really went independent or dug into their texts in any way more significant than at GCSE. It all comes down to enjoying the subject, and it does sound like you do, so I'd say go for it. As for doing Maths instead, if you enjoy it less there's not much point, if you enjoy it equally it's at least worth considering due to its greater sway with universities in general, if you enjoy it more then I'd recommend just taking it.

To show that my somewhat differing viewpoint isn't entirely unsubstantiated, I did achieve a high A in AS. But A2 could be a slightly different matter, so take this post with a pinch of salt. :redface:

Edit: I did the WJEC course, which I've heard is supposed to be easier than others but I can't confirm that obviously.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Jasminem97
The AQA board apparently has a lot of war poetry and American novels, so maybe you'll enjoy that too?:smile: I love annotations too, it makes things so clear!
I'm taking Literature, PE, Psychology and Business Studies/Biology(Can't decide between the 2 haha!) so a good mix of exam/essay and practical subjects! what are you taking?

I'm taking art, eng lit, geography and psychology :biggrin: I just found out its OCR not AQA - I hope its not too difficult..! I don't know what I'd pick of the two, just do whichever one you think you'd enjoy most :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by emmasolomon
Which board are your school on? English requires a lot of work and background reading which would be very hard to cope with if you are not into reading and don't enjoy it. My only thing I would say is that Art is extremely time consuming and could jeopardise your chances of good AS level results like it did for me. Please think very very carefully about art, as I would hate for you having to resit the year like I have to do because Art took up all my time and I had no time for my other three subjects.

OCR - I'll try and find out how difficult it is on that board. I've been told that A level art is extremely time consuming, but it's never been an option not to do it as I want to pursue art as a career - So as I did in GCSE, I'll be making sure to finish all my art and just hope I can keep up enough to make time for everything else!
Reply 13
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I think the amount of independent study people say you need is greatly exaggerated, at least for AS level. Like you, I performed well at GCSE but am not much of a reader; I went into English AS expecting this to have to change and to be vastly more challenged than at GCSE, but it often is just more of the same. If you have open book exams then it's even better; you really need only know your way around some themes and you can come up with close analysis points in the examination. I can't claim that my approach will necessarily work for others as everyone learns in different ways and excels in different areas and manners, but to be honest I don't know anyone in my year who really went independent or dug into their texts in any way more significant than at GCSE. It all comes down to enjoying the subject, and it does sound like you do, so I'd say go for it. As for doing Maths instead, if you enjoy it less there's not much point, if you enjoy it equally it's at least worth considering due to its greater sway with universities in general, if you enjoy it more then I'd recommend just taking it.

To show that my somewhat differing viewpoint isn't entirely unsubstantiated, I did achieve a high A in AS. But A2 could be a slightly different matter, so take this post with a pinch of salt. :redface:

Edit: I did the WJEC course, which I've heard is supposed to be easier than others but I can't confirm that obviously.

Hi :smile: Its good to hear that someone expected it to be really full on but was pleasantly surprised. I did manage to do well at GCSE with a slightly worse off knowledge of the books than was needed, but that was cutting it quite fine. I think I will do english over maths, and will try and read as much as I can and focus more on the books this time. Well done on getting an A, and it's so reassuring! I think I will drop it after AS unless I really hate any of the other subjects..! I hope OCR isn't one of the hardest, I'll have to wait and see.
Thanks for the advice :smile:
I did A Level English Language and Literature Combined and there was a high volume of reading, if you don't enjoy reading and struggle with it and believe you would not independently read the books then I wouldn't take English Lit.
Have you considered taking English Language instead? That includes the analytical side without so much of the reading, might be better for you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by HollyAnn999
I did A Level English Language and Literature Combined and there was a high volume of reading, if you don't enjoy reading and struggle with it and believe you would not independently read the books then I wouldn't take English Lit.
Have you considered taking English Language instead? That includes the analytical side without so much of the reading, might be better for you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would do english language, that world be perfect for me but the sixth form I'm going to only does english lit :frown: I think I'll just take it for a year, and see how heavy the reading is. I don't think there's anything else I really want to do instead, so even if it is difficult I won't regret not taking anything else (if that makes sense!)
Original post by Ellen97
I would do english language, that world be perfect for me but the sixth form I'm going to only does english lit :frown: I think I'll just take it for a year, and see how heavy the reading is. I don't think there's anything else I really want to do instead, so even if it is difficult I won't regret not taking anything else (if that makes sense!)

Aw that sucks! :frown: well I hope you don't find English Lit too difficult. It's not impossible to do well and enjoy the course without reading, you might just struggle a little bit more then the others. I'm sure you'll be fine. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Changing Skies
I'm not an avid reader myself and still managed an A at A2 without reading everything :colondollar: despite the fact I'm not a massive reader, I thoroughly enjoyed English Lit and I'd definitely recommend it. It sounds like you're very good at the subject so that would obviously benefit you. :smile: if you have any questions, feel free to ask :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, thats so good to hear, and well done on the A :biggrin: I'll obviously try to read as much as I can but it's good to know it is possible to do well without loving the reading aspect..! thanks :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by HollyAnn999
Aw that sucks! :frown: well I hope you don't find English Lit too difficult. It's not impossible to do well and enjoy the course without reading, you might just struggle a little bit more then the others. I'm sure you'll be fine. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know :frown: Well I'll try my hardest! And maybe english lit will help me to start getting into books.. :smile: Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest