The Student Room Group

Shall I go to a concert with tinnitus?

So I bought tickets for Lady Gaga's artRave in the winter. A week before the summer holidays started I got tinnitus in my left ear. It was awful for the first 2 weeks. It has now gradually gotten quieter and only bothers me in a quiet room, otherwise I can't hear it.
i went to the doctors and they think it is stress induced from my A levels and personal problems. I thought I'd used my earphones too much.

i haven't used earphones since it started, have avoided all loud noise and have worn ear plugs when exposed to loud noise.

The noise is like a muffled hissing. It was a ear piercing high noise when it was really bad. The doctor looked in my ears and did a hearing test. All was fine and she thought it should go.

So shall I go to this concert in October or shall I sell the tickets? I'm very paranoid about it getting worse. These tickets cost me £200.
Not worth the risk there'll be other concerts. Sell them.
Original post by bittr n swt
Not worth the risk there'll be other concerts. Sell them.

It's not worth the risk. Hopefully I'll be able make some money on them so it's not a total loss :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Strawberry68
So I bought tickets for Lady Gaga's artRave in the winter. A week before the summer holidays started I got tinnitus in my left ear. It was awful for the first 2 weeks. It has now gradually gotten quieter and only bothers me in a quiet room, otherwise I can't hear it.
i went to the doctors and they think it is stress induced from my A levels and personal problems. I thought I'd used my earphones too much.

i haven't used earphones since it started, have avoided all loud noise and have worn ear plugs when exposed to loud noise.

The noise is like a muffled hissing. It was a ear piercing high noise when it was really bad. The doctor looked in my ears and did a hearing test. All was fine and she thought it should go.

So shall I go to this concert in October or shall I sell the tickets? I'm very paranoid about it getting worse. These tickets cost me £200.

I have it too. :hi: Anyway I wouldn't advise it, mine gets troublesome even when I'm just listening to music on the TV.
Original post by ApeMob
I have it too. :hi: Anyway I wouldn't advise it, mine gets troublesome even when I'm just listening to music on the TV.

I'm not going to risk it. I want to be able to go to clubs at uni so I think a year of no loud noise is needed before I go.
It's awful isn't it :frown: how long have you had it and do you know why it started?
I can never use a hair dryer again as it makes it really bad for a bit after use.
Reply 5
I'm not going to risk it. I want to be able to go to clubs at uni so I think a year of no loud noise is needed before I go.
It's awful isn't it :frown: how long have you had it and do you know why it started?
I can never use a hair dryer again as it makes it really bad for a bit after use.

Really? I haven't dyed just to protect my hair but we can't dye too? You gotta be kidding me -,-
well I've been diagnosed for a yr. after Emergency care. But I struggled with it for like a yr before that point not knowing what was up. I was just frustrated, a lil depressed, and waiting it out. It healed eventually but that's probly because it was a fresh thing.

I think it was from a multitude of things just based on how you can get it: lots of caffeine like I had cans of soda and Big Gulps of hot tea; physical damage (hitting to it AND poking it while cleaning accidentally); and loud noise as I played loud music everyday and had headphones.

There is no cure just stay away from noise, the cold, harsh chemicals like caffeine and sodium and I guess hair dye now :colonhash:. Insomnia is the worst thing so I was given Melatonin to sleep. :sadnod:

edit: the yr I first got it was when it healed after I got hit, but it came back somehow...ad it's been another yr since >.<
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Oh MSG is a nother harsh chemical, it's in like all processed and fast foods so **** my life for my daily pleasures being taken away because of tinnitus.
Original post by ApeMob
Really? I haven't dyed just to protect my hair but we can't dye too? You gotta be kidding me -,-
well I've been diagnosed for a yr. after Emergency care. But I struggled with it for like a yr before that point not knowing what was up. I was just frustrated, a lil depressed, and waiting it out. It healed eventually but that's probly because it was a fresh thing.

I think it was from a multitude of things just based on how you can get it: lots of caffeine like I had cans of soda and Big Gulps of hot tea; physical damage (hitting to it AND poking it while cleaning accidentally); and loud noise as I played loud music everyday and had headphones.

There is no cure just stay away from noise, the cold, harsh chemicals like caffeine and sodium and I guess hair dye now :colonhash:. Insomnia is the worst thing so I was given Melatonin to sleep. :sadnod:

edit: the yr I first got it was when it healed after I got hit, but it came back somehow...ad it's been another yr since >.<

I said hair dry not dye. :tongue: you know, the loud machine that blows air to dry you hair. I don't think dyeing hair can do anything.

I heard that caffeine makes it worse. I'm a big tea drinker but I'll avoid cokes from now on :frown:
I'm never using earphones again. I didn't even have them on loud! Hopefully now AS levels are over and I've almost dealt with the other issues it should continue to get better. I feel like it's going to limit my life :frown:
Reply 8
I said hair dry not dye. :tongue: you know, the loud machine that blows air to dry you hair. I don't think dyeing hair can do anything.

I heard that caffeine makes it worse. I'm a big tea drinker but I'll avoid cokes from now on :frown:
I'm never using earphones again. I didn't even have them on loud! Hopefully now AS levels are over and I've almost dealt with the other issues it should continue to get better. I feel like it's going to limit my life :frown:

Oooh I'm soo sorry I know how that feels! :argh: So you just got it this yr? Well I kinda had an anniversary this April even though my tinnitus I feel contributed to me taking a trip to the hospital in April as well :dry: Because with the ear the blood will struggle for circulation now, okay? So all those things will trouble you, like massive pain, nonstop ringing, stinging and clicking :argh:. Please avoid salt and the cold, protect those ears! >.< Wear earplugs to bed to protect them, cotton balls will do :smile: I had to learn this the hard way. The first couple of months I was so depressed, I was about to lose it and I'm so happy I've just come to this point. Basically...tinnitus is gonna be your annoying little brother like conjoined twin. You're gonna have to consider it for everything, everything, everything but you should never see it as limited :no::smile:
Ear plugs should help? I found that I only got a temporary form of tinnitus after going to watch some racing live. I don't get it if I wear ear plugs.

A few years ago, I had blocked ears and had to have them syringed, which gave me stupidly sensitive hearing, but cured my tinnitus, which I only get now if I've exposed myself to a loud and prolonged noise.
Reply 10
Original post by OU Student
Ear plugs should help? I found that I only got a temporary form of tinnitus after going to watch some racing live. I don't get it if I wear ear plugs.

A few years ago, I had blocked ears and had to have them syringed, which gave me stupidly sensitive hearing, but cured my tinnitus, which I only get now if I've exposed myself to a loud and prolonged noise.

Tinnitus is the name of the syndrome, but there are lifelong issues. It's never "cured." You just had the symptoms of the syndrome from a minor nerve injury. Actual tinnitus is a lifelong struggle, sir or madam, and it would be most unwise if the OP has that form to attend a rave :curious: You had an injury, but tinnitus is actual damage. Injury is not damage. Damage is damage, it can't be cured...

OP as someone who has un"cured" tinnitus I wouldn't advise it, but it depends on your situation, really. :smile:
Original post by ApeMob
Tinnitus is the name of the syndrome, but there are lifelong issues. It's never "cured." You just had the symptoms of the syndrome from a minor nerve injury. Actual tinnitus is a lifelong struggle, sir or madam, and it would be most unwise if the OP has that form to attend a rave :curious: You had an injury, but tinnitus is actual damage. Injury is not damage. Damage is damage, it can't be cured...

OP as someone who has un"cured" tinnitus I wouldn't advise it, but it depends on your situation, really. :smile:

What I have is damage to the auditory nerve for which there's no cure.
Original post by ApeMob
Oooh I'm soo sorry I know how that feels! :argh: So you just got it this yr? Well I kinda had an anniversary this April even though my tinnitus I feel contributed to me taking a trip to the hospital in April as well :dry: Because with the ear the blood will struggle for circulation now, okay? So all those things will trouble you, like massive pain, nonstop ringing, stinging and clicking :argh:. Please avoid salt and the cold, protect those ears! >.< Wear earplugs to bed to protect them, cotton balls will do :smile: I had to learn this the hard way. The first couple of months I was so depressed, I was about to lose it and I'm so happy I've just come to this point. Basically...tinnitus is gonna be your annoying little brother like conjoined twin. You're gonna have to consider it for everything, everything, everything but you should never see it as limited :no::smile:

Yeah I only got it about 5 weeks ago :frown:
How come earplugs should be worn to bed?
At first when my tinnitus was bad I was feeling depressed. But it's got better since then so I'm not feeling sad anymore. It's just annoying in quiet rooms. I think it'll go eventually (hopefully!)

Original post by OU Student

I know earplugs help a lot but they won't fully block out the noise.
What kind of earplugs do you use? I only have the regular foam ones.

I know earplugs help a lot but they won't fully block out the noise.
What kind of earplugs do you use? I only have the regular foam ones.

Buy a pair of these. In fact, buy a couple so you have a spare. They dramatically reduce volume with minimal impact on sound quality. Your ears will thank you and you can still go to gigs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elacin-ER20S-musicians-hearing-protection/dp/B0034ZI9AQ/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1408999861&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=musicians+earplugs
I do have foam ones and I do have a pair of custom made ones. I can't wear them because they're a pain to get out and they hurt my ears. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest