The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think it's both genetic and environmental... Nurture and nature. The majority of gay people didn't choose their sexual orientation.
Genetics.
Reply 3
Nobody knows. Gay people say it's down to nature but tbh there's no evidence of a gay gene or what have you. You can't really trust their word anyway since they're biased.
Original post by The vampire
If it's not a choice then it must be. :confused:

It's an illness.
Original post by Armin.
Nobody knows. Gay people say it's down to nature but tbh there's no evidence of a gay gene or what have you. You can't really trust their word anyway since they're biased.

An identical twin is much more likely to be gay if their twin is gay, even if they're separated at birth and raised separately. That seems like very strong evidence that sexuality is determined by genetics or by the prenatal environment.
Reply 6
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
An identical twin is much more likely to be gay if their twin is gay, even if they're separated at birth and raised separately. That seems like very strong evidence that sexuality is determined by genetics or by the prenatal environment.

You and the scientific community seem to have a different meaning for the word strong.
Original post by Armin.
You and the scientific community seem to have a different meaning for the word strong.

Fault my logic.
Its a mixture of genes and environment for sure
Reply 9
Original post by The vampire
If it's not a choice then it must be. :confused:

i think with men their mother makes them gay

lezzerz i think its sexual abuse from men
Original post by Lone tiger
It's an illness.

Then why would people be proud of it?
It's not genetic my ass it's gay people paying scientists to come up with b.s.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mick.w
i think with men their mother makes them gay

lezzerz i think its sexual abuse from men

So entirely environmental. Interesting points. :smile:
I read yesterday that homosexuality is a "genital revolution", being rebellious in doing what one wants with ones own genitalia. This suggests that it is rebellion, a social response, like being a badass.

On the other hand my personal opinion is that gays posses an innate ability to pervade social norms. Possibly the weak argument against homosexuality is spotted more easy by those who have homosexual or bi sexual relations. This would involve a difference in neurological genetics, ie maybe a difference in the frontal lobe or other problem solving areas of the brain. Just a theory though.
Each son a woman has is progressively more likely to be gay than the one before it. This is believed to be because her body produces more and more oestrogen each time she becomes pregnant which alters the development of a male foetus' brain and makes the part of its brain responsible for sexual attraction more feminine. Presumably a similar but opposite change of hormone balance leads to lesbian daughters. There's also the genetic factor which has been highlighted above (e.g. with the twins) so all in all I think it's safe to say homosexuality is caused by nature and not nurture.
Original post by Lone tiger
It's an illness.

Original post by nabil921
It's not genetic my ass it's gay people paying scientists to come up with b.s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm guessing you're both homophobic?
Reply 16
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Fault my logic.

Can you link me the proof behind that statement that " identical twin is much more likely to be gay if their twin is gay".

I have done psychology A-level and I can tell you right now that what you're saying BS most of the research on twin studies only shows a small genetic link i.e. if one twin is gay the other one's chance of being gay is not very high.

Even if what you were saying was true. If there is truly a genetic link then ALL the homosexuality concordance should be 100% since they share 100% of the same genes. The fact that the figure is closer to 11% is proof that it's a mixture of the environment and genetics.
So many of these comments are ridiculous and embarrassingly ludicrous.

I'm gay. I didn't choose my sexuality and was not overly nurtured by my mother. Why don't people stop arguing about stuff they have never experienced and is not going to ever change? Get on with it. Wow.
Reply 18
Original post by JayJay-C19
So many of these comments are ridiculous and embarrassingly ludicrous.

I'm gay. I didn't choose my sexuality and was not overly nurtured by my mother. Why don't people stop arguing about stuff they have never experienced and is not going to ever change? Get on with it. Wow.

I think you're being overly emotive in your post.

Nobody is saying you chose to be gay but at the same time nobody is saying you were 100% born that way. If anything research shows a mixture of genetics and environmental factors at play.

None of this changes the way I view of course but since we are on an educational forum I think it's worth being intellectual about topics like this one in lieu of being rude.
Original post by Armin.
I think you're being overly emotive in your post.

Nobody is saying you chose to be gay but at the same time nobody is saying you were 100% born that way. If anything research shows a mixture of genetics and environmental factors at play.

None of this changes the way I view of course but since we are on an educational forum I think it's worth being intellectual about topics like this one in lieu of being rude.

Overly emotional because I'm reading idiots telling me I'm diseased or have some sort of defect. It's also not right for you to try and dictate to me how I should feel reading these sorts of things.

What is knowing the real answer going to mean? Nothings going to change. People are still going to be gay. It's all such a pointless effort in my mind.

Latest