The Student Room Group

Taking up new sport in second year of university.

During my first year, I was pretty lazy and regret not doing a sport at all.

I'm going into second year next month, and I'm keen to join a new sport partly for the fitness and the chance to expand my friendship group.

Any ideas? Thinking of something like Lacrosse?

Also is a bit weird joing sports socs in second year? They seem aimed at freshers. Doing initiations as a second year seems *******
Reply 1
In my experience, in a sports teams no matter what year of study you join, you are a fresher to the club.

In terms of what sport to chose, it's a personal thing. Do some research and see what suits you best.
I love football... I do play well, but no opportunity..
Reply 3
I'm in the exact same boat as you! I'm not really good at sports but I want to train my strength so I've looked into trying out climbing. Anyone have any experience with this btw?
Original post by liarpoker

I'm going into second year next month, and I'm keen to join a new sport partly for the fitness and the chance to expand my friendship group.

Any ideas? Thinking of something like Lacrosse?

Also is a bit weird joing sports socs in second year? They seem aimed at freshers. Doing initiations as a second year seems *******
agreed but feck it be grand!p team sports are great so lacrosse suits well! was thinkng of joining the hockey but no one plays it. team sports are sorta out for me unfortunately..

Original post by Naami
I'm in the exact same boat as you! I'm not really good at sports but I want to train my strength so I've looked into trying out climbing. Anyone have any experience with this btw?

rock climbing is amazing hear..unfortunately not at my gaff
Reply 5
Original post by Naami

Yeah I go to a campus uni (Warwick) and definitely feel like i missed out on not doing a sport in first year, just for the social aspect if nothing else.
Reply 6
Yeah I go to a campus uni (Warwick) and definitely feel like i missed out on not doing a sport in first year, just for the social aspect if nothing else.

Aha I'm at Warwick too! Going into second year of Chemistry! The lacrosse team is quite popular & a lot of the other team sports. I'm thinking of taking advantage of all the free sessions :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Naami
Aha I'm at Warwick too! Going into second year of Chemistry! The lacrosse team is quite popular & a lot of the other team sports. I'm thinking of taking advantage of all the free sessions :smile:

I may do chemistry at Warwick, is a chemistry degree painfully boring?
Reply 8
Original post by JoshZ
I may do chemistry at Warwick, is a chemistry degree painfully boring?

Well....that depends entirely on you & your interests.

As a whole I think it's fascinating. There was one extremely boring module we did last year on solids but thankfully that was it. Labs are awesome - don't think anyone could call it boring & some lecturers are really inspiring.
Reply 9
Original post by Naami
Well....that depends entirely on you & your interests.

As a whole I think it's fascinating. There was one extremely boring module we did last year on solids but thankfully that was it. Labs are awesome - don't think anyone could call it boring & some lecturers are really inspiring.

Ok, thanks. Would you say a degree in chemistry gives you lots of career prospects compared to other science degrees? If you had to name a degree (apart from medicine, dentistry & veterinary) that offers the greatest career prospects, what would you say? It's just that I love all science and I have to choose one course for university :frown:.
Reply 10
Original post by JoshZ
Ok, thanks. Would you say a degree in chemistry gives you lots of career prospects compared to other science degrees? If you had to name a degree (apart from medicine, dentistry & veterinary) that offers the greatest career prospects, what would you say? It's just that I love all science and I have to choose one course for university :frown:.

If you love all the disciplines of science have you considered doing Natural Sciences? Only about 8-10 unis do it but it's definitely one to think about if you truly can't make up your mind!

I can't compare job prospects to other disciplines because well, I don't pay attention to it tbh. I would say they are all pretty similar as you are doing a STEM subject which will put you in good stead anyway :tongue: I can say that career prospects are very diverse with chemistry as you have many transferable skills that you gain from labs, report writing and the degree in general - I myself plan to go into the financial sector after my degree and already heading the right direction (doing an internship at a bank this summer).
Reply 11
I'll be starting university next year hopefully and was thinking about starting a new sport, possibly badminton. Only thing is I haven't played It in a few years so I don't know how good I am and I'm scared of people looking down on me. Also I have confidence issues, any advice?
Reply 12
Original post by Hasmita
I'll be starting university next year hopefully and was thinking about starting a new sport, possibly badminton. Only thing is I haven't played It in a few years so I don't know how good I am and I'm scared of people looking down on me. Also I have confidence issues, any advice?

It's fine, people play for fun and its not secondary school anymore

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I would take up Lacrosse if I were you. Fastest game on two feet, very fun to play, and most people at uni are beginners so you won't feel out of your depth.
Original post by Naami

Climbing is a nice cheap sport to get into. Unfortunately, when your mates with £2000 climbing racks leave uni, that leaves you to pick up the bill if you want to go outdoors and do some trad climbing.

If you want to stay indoors, you can get away with a harness and shoes <£100, but it's great for pretty much every muscle group.

Not so uni related, but I played rugby against a guy pushing 80 a few years back, he didn't take up the game until he was 45+.

Don't make excuses for being lazy, get up and do something, it's never too late.

Quick Reply

Latest