The Student Room Group

Leeds A100 Applicants 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jalwxx
Ahhh what did you study?? Yeah - How are leeds using the BMAT this year? I'm hoping the number of applicants will have dropped because of it - so competitive otherwise! I find the biology and chemistry alright because of my degree but maths and physics is just embarrassing haha.

Where else did you apply?

i studied Neuroscience :smile: yourself? I think they are using it as part of the application i.e. not a cutoff score. Yess! Would love to go to Leeds!. Haha i cannot remember anything from GCSE physics! Shameful times haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Original post by AishaNeuro
i studied Neuroscience :smile: yourself? I think they are using it as part of the application i.e. not a cutoff score. Yess! Would love to go to Leeds!. Haha i cannot remember anything from GCSE physics! Shameful times haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, I bet that was interesting! Biomedical Sciences :smile: god, I know. And to calculate things without a calculator is unheard of at university....... embarrassing
Original post by jalwxx
Oh, I bet that was interesting! Biomedical Sciences :smile: god, I know. And to calculate things without a calculator is unheard of at university....... embarrassing

Yeah, i actually miss it haha! LOL i know right. Totally forgotten how to do long division haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MTW47
Can't believe how quiet this thread is. By the same time last year there had been over 280 posts for Leeds. The BMAT is definitely making a big difference, I really think anyone applying stands a great chance of getting their PS read. Good luck everyone :biggrin:

I got an offer from here on results day. I was planning to reapply but not to Leeds haha
Original post by Scott4417
I got an offer from here on results day. I was planning to reapply but not to Leeds haha

Woah, how did you get an offer on results day?
Reply 65
What do you guys reckon the bmat cut off will be?
Reply 66
Original post by Rishy
What do you guys reckon the bmat cut off will be?

Don't think Leeds are operating with a BMAT cut off - it's the first year they have used it.

This is what it says on the website.
"We have decided to a method similar to our previous use of UKCAT using the total score offered by each candidate which will be compared with all the other applicants to Leeds scores. Those in the top 20% will receive the full mark available for this part of their application and those in the bottom 20% will receive the lowest mark available for this part of their application. From this you can see that we do not use a pre-determined cut-off threshold. The BMAT total score will be calculated from a sum of the scores achieved in section 1, 2 and 3 although section 3 will have half the weighting of the other sections as it will be revisited during the interview stage of the selection process.

We will initially weight the BMAT score in the same proportion which we used to give the UKCAT i.e. roughly 15% of the weight given to academic scoring and half that given to the personal statement."
Reply 67
So it's important to do well in sections 1 and 2, not so important to smash section 3 I presume.
So you could probably get away with having a not so great BMAT score, should you have a really good personal statement and academic scoring.

However, as always I would assume the majority of the applicants applying for the course will have excellent academics/personal statements - so perhaps a lot will actually ride on the BMAT! It will be interesting to see how it work out!
Reply 68
Ah good cus I am terrible at english :smile:, yeah hopefully the bmat isnt as hard as the 400 bmat book. The questions on it are horrendous.
Reply 69
Original post by Rishy
Ah good cus I am terrible at english :smile:, yeah hopefully the bmat isnt as hard as the 400 bmat book. The questions on it are horrendous.

I think the section 2 of the 400Q seems quite representative of the actual exams - if you compare them to the specimen past papers, maybe slightly harder. Just got 9.0 out of 9.0 in this years specimen but feel like the actual exam will be harder!! You can get like 4 questions wrong and still get 9!
Will be interesting to see - the assumed knowledge guide is useful and covers everything - I'm only revising from that.

However the S1 in the 400Q is definitely harder than the old papers!! And the time pressure isn't too obscene.

My biggest worry is the time constraint in S2 - it takes me an extra ten mins to finish the paper so when it comes to longer questions/calculations (maths - i'm rubbish at it!) I'm probably going to just guess and move on and make sure I nail all of the science questions.
Reply 70
Original post by jalwxx
I think the section 2 of the 400Q seems quite representative of the actual exams - if you compare them to the specimen past papers, maybe slightly harder. Just got 9.0 out of 9.0 in this years specimen but feel like the actual exam will be harder!! You can get like 4 questions wrong and still get 9!
Will be interesting to see - the assumed knowledge guide is useful and covers everything - I'm only revising from that.

However the S1 in the 400Q is definitely harder than the old papers!! And the time pressure isn't too obscene.

My biggest worry is the time constraint in S2 - it takes me an extra ten mins to finish the paper so when it comes to longer questions/calculations (maths - i'm rubbish at it!) I'm probably going to just guess and move on and make sure I nail all of the science questions.

Ah ive only done section 1 and some of those questions are really tricky to do in under 90 secs, thats good to hear that its harder than the actual exam. How have you prepared for section 2?
Reply 71
Just revised the GCSE specification - all the questions seem to repeat themselves a lot in the past papers. Application is quite easy after you have done a few questions - all the same pattern really! Rubbish at the maths - I'm about to graduate from uni and haven't done A-level/GCSE maths stuff without a calc in years haha
Reply 72
Haha, to get back in touch i would recommend the 400 bmat question book. The questions may be hard but really gives you an insight how to solve questions properly and I learnt a few things aswell. What gcse spec did u use because there are so many boards Im not sure where to start.
Leeds only got 1850 applicants this year.
Original post by Sideman420

Really? That's brilliant!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75

Where did you get this info? And that is brill!

Yes!!!:smile: oh thank god!! That's so exciting!! I'm so happy! This has just made my day! How many are interviewed?
Ps. I applied to Liverpool, so you see why I'm happy:smile:
Original post by sarahfrost97
Yes!!!:smile: oh thank god!! That's so exciting!! I'm so happy! This has just made my day! How many are interviewed?

I applied to Liverpool too! I have no idea if I have a chance there, even with a score of 18 :confused:
Reply 78
Original post by sarahfrost97

512 get interviewed :smile:
Original post by priyanka44
I applied to Liverpool too! I have no idea if I have a chance there, even with a score of 18 :confused:

Well you have more of a chance than I do-.- I have 17 so they're not even bothering with my personal statement :tongue:
Original post by Hectors
512 get interviewed :smile:

Oh...well that's a 1:3 so its the same as other unis :frown: never mind, my happiness is now gone :tongue: how many people did they have last year though?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending