The Student Room Group

Leeds A100 Applicants 2015 Entry

Poll

How many A*'s at GCSE do you have?

Hello lovely people and welcome to the Leeds A100 Applicants page for 2015 entry!

For Leeds 2014 entry there were approximately 3800 applicants competing for around 218 direct entry places. Leeds look at 1000 personal statements and invite approximately 500 candidates to an MMI Interview (Interview details here).

Minimum Entry Requirements:

GCSEs:
At least 6 grade B's must be offered in Maths, English Language and the sciences

A-Levels:
AAA inc. Chemistry
General studies and critical thinking not accepted
Certain combinations not accepted, such as:

Chemistry with Biology and Human Biology

Chemistry with Maths and Further Maths

More information on minimum entry requirement and alternative qualifications can be found here ALSO remember that just meeting these requirements doesn't guarantee an interview MOST applicants meet and exceed them! Your application is scrutinised further, details of which can be found in "The Selection Process" section.

Admissions Tests:

Leeds no longer use the UKCAT as part of their selection process, ALL applicants must take the BMAT to be considered. Past papers and information can be found here

"The BMAT is administered by the Admissions Testing Service. It is a paper-based test delivered in schools and accredited testing centres world-wide. Leeds School of Medicine will be using BMAT in its admissions process for all applicants applying in the 2014/15 cycle and beyond. We are still assessing how best to use it but we do not intend to operate a "cut-off threshold" below which we would not consider an application; instead we intend to use performance in individual test sections to help us assess applicants with "non-traditional" educational backgrounds. In future, for "traditional" applicants, we will take it into account alongside previous and predicted academic performance, personal statements and references.Our current intention is to weight it as much as we weighted UKCAT i.e. about 15% on the weight given to GCSEs and half the weight given to the personal statement. All applicants for medicine at Leeds must sit the BMAT in the academic session in which they apply. For the current session, the BMAT will take place on November 5th 2014."

The Selection Process:
Im aware this is turning into a chunky piece of writing so I'm adding a link below which will take you to the Leeds selection process PDF which is shown on open days in powerpoint form, it has all the information you could ever want regarding the whole admissions process! Find it in the 2015/2016 Admissions documents on the downloads page below
And because it will make your lives easier, the downloads page has some great advice on writing your PS as well as lots of information that is hard to cram into my attempt of a brief summary!

Student Life:
Everything you need to know about life on campus can be found here

So, Good Luck with your applications guys; feel free to post your stats, any questions you may have and any corrections regarding this chunk of text!
:biggrin::colone:

Leeds Medicine Website here
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Leeds has so many applicants every year but I'd love to go here!
Out of the unis I've looked it, it seems to have the most applicants but does anyone know which uni really does have the most applications?
Reply 2
Original post by DMBP
Leeds has so many applicants every year but I'd love to go here!
Out of the unis I've looked it, it seems to have the most applicants but does anyone know which uni really does have the most applications?

I think bristol had in excess of 4000 applications all together, unreal competition! I believe the reason Leeds changed to BMAT is because they had 17 applicants per place, you started BMAT prep yet?
Reply 3
Original post by Jimbob995
I think bristol had in excess of 4000 applications all together, unreal competition! I believe the reason Leeds changed to BMAT is because they had 17 applicants per place, you started BMAT prep yet?

Yeah I've heard that about them changing to BMAT too. I haven't yet, no :colondollar: I've been looking at courses to go on but I don't know if it's worth it! Definitely going to start tomorrow haha, have you?
Reply 4
Original post by DMBP
Yeah I've heard that about them changing to BMAT too. I haven't yet, no :colondollar: I've been looking at courses to go on but I don't know if it's worth it! Definitely going to start tomorrow haha, have you?

I've been practising with the TSA Oxford papers because it's really similar to S1, and I've also been using CIE thinking skills papers to get some practise without using any on the actual BMAT papers (I posted a link in the BMAT 2015 mega thread for the CIE papers if your interested). I've booked the BMAT crash course too seen as it's only £69 and looks pretty good :smile:

You thinking to Leeds then?
Reply 5
I've been practising with the TSA Oxford papers because it's really similar to S1, and I've also been using CIE thinking skills papers to get some practise without using any on the actual BMAT papers (I posted a link in the BMAT 2015 mega thread for the CIE papers if your interested). I've booked the BMAT crash course too seen as it's only £69 and looks pretty good :smile:

You thinking to Leeds then?

Thanks for the advice! I think I will do a course because I only used free resources for UKCAT and didn't do so well :frown:

Definitely Leeds though! I really liked it and if I work hard with the BMAT now I hope I'd have a good chance of at least getting to interview (fingers crossed!!) Are you?
Reply 6
Original post by DMBP
Thanks for the advice! I think I will do a course because I only used free resources for UKCAT and didn't do so well :frown:

Definitely Leeds though! I really liked it and if I work hard with the BMAT now I hope I'd have a good chance of at least getting to interview (fingers crossed!!) Are you?

Yeah I definitely am but I'm still deciding whether to apply to 2 BMAT unis or not! I didn't do to great either on the UKCAT but looking on the applicant profiles page, having a average UKCAT doesn't mean you won't do well on the BMAT, some people have smashed the BMAT with scores of 620/630 in the UKCAT - so there's hope for us yet! :smile:
Reply 7
Yeah I definitely am but I'm still deciding whether to apply to 2 BMAT unis or not! I didn't do to great either on the UKCAT but looking on the applicant profiles page, having a average UKCAT doesn't mean you won't do well on the BMAT, some people have smashed the BMAT with scores of 620/630 in the UKCAT - so there's hope for us yet! :smile:

I know what you mean, I so wish I could have my BMAT score before I sent of my applications!! Ahh that gives me hope :biggrin: we will hopefully be the same as that and do really well for BMAT
Reply 8
Original post by DMBP
I know what you mean, I so wish I could have my BMAT score before I sent of my applications!! Ahh that gives me hope :biggrin: we will hopefully be the same as that and do really well for BMAT

We can hope! I really need a good BMAT otherwise I'm screwed lol
Hi would 6A*s 5As and ABBB at AS be competitive at leeds with a good bmat score?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WesterosWildling
Hi would 6A*s 5As and ABBB at AS be competitive at leeds with a good bmat score?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Leeds scores your academic's based on your best 9 GCSE's or best 3 AS results. Bare in mind that according to the Leeds website 40% of applicants last year received full marks for academics and that according to OP the BMAT will receive less weighting than your academics. Make of that what you will.

If anyone else has any questions I'm currently a medical student at Leeds and I'm happy to answer any questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by heythere247
Leeds scores your academic's based on your best 9 GCSE's or best 3 AS results. Bare in mind that according to the Leeds website 40% of applicants last year received full marks for academics and that according to OP the BMAT will receive less weighting than your academics. Make of that what you will.

If anyone else has any questions I'm currently a medical student at Leeds and I'm happy to answer any questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. Im still applying because im local but I just wanted to know if it wasn't completely impossible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you. Im still applying because im local but I just wanted to know if it wasn't completely impossible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you aware of the access to leeds scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you aware of the access to leeds scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but I know I don't qualify. Plus I am still predicted AAA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Didn't realise Leeds had switched to the BMAT. Guess I'm no longer applying :frown:
Reply 15

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its really difficult to say, from what I've read a good BMAT score can make up for lower academics, and your GCSE and AS levels are pretty good! What we must also take into account is that the number of people applying will (in theory) go down, thats why Leeds swapped to BMAT in the first place - Leeds also still look at 1000 PS's so you have a higher chance of having your personal statement looked at, which is what they use to invite candidates to interview
Reply 16

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would 10A*'s at GCSE and 4A's at AS attain full marks for academics? After this how much weighting do you think they place on BMAT and Personal Statement? Thank you
Original post by lisa789
Would 10A*'s at GCSE and 4A's at AS attain full marks for academics? After this how much weighting do you think they place on BMAT and Personal Statement? Thank you

Well from the information I can gather from the website, yes you would score full marks for academics (assuming english, maths and either dual science or chemistry and biology are offered at at least grade B at GCSE in order to be considered). I know little about the BMAT however as I stated in the post you quoted, OP claims that the BMAT will be weighted at around 15% of the weighting GCSE's/AS levels recieve, I have also read this on the Leeds website myself. Assuming you get through the academics stage, and make it into the 1000 applicants that have their PS read, I am lead to believe your personal statement is the main factor influencing whether you get an interview or not at this stage.

While I'm happy to help please be aware all this information was available on the Leeds website. I understand it can be difficult to navigate at times in which case I will be more than happy to help but please look at the website yourself first! :smile: After all you're all aspiring medics who are going to need good research skills to get you through the course! :smile:
Reply 18
I Want to apply to leads for medicine but not sure if they allow you to have resat your AS years. I have mitigating circumstances I think regardless but my college has not been informed :frown:
Original post by AhmedDavid
I Want to apply to leads for medicine but not sure if they allow you to have resat your AS years. I have mitigating circumstances I think regardless but my college has not been informed :frown:

I advise looking on the leeds website, which details the policy with regard to resits and how to go about things if you have mitigating circumstances etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest