The Student Room Group

Should I do maths?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Firstly, thanks for all the replies everyone. I think I'll give it a go and make sure I work very hard. There's obviously the possibility of dropping it at the end of AS, so hopefully I'll manage okay.

Original post by yellowcopter
What are good A-Levels to take with Maths for a Computer Science route? Other than Further Maths or Physics, both of which I won't and can't do, due to my GCSE grades.

My school offers Computing so I'm going to do Computing and Maths. I'm also going to do English Literature since I like English. As for my fourth subject I don't know what to do. I don't want to do a Science. Should I do something like Economics? I've heard Economics at A-Level is really hard to cope with.

Anyone know any decent/respectable fourth A-Levels, that aren't too hard to cope with alongside my other 3 subjects?

Secondly, I'm also wanting to take maths to go down the computing route, and I also enjoy English. I've decided on maths, computing, business and English language. Business could be a good option for you if your school offers it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by FloralEssence
Omg same here, I only got a B for Maths but I hope that I will be able to cope with the course, seeing as the rest of my grades are to standard... well I have to do well, its not really a choice. :s-smilie:

Maths is currently my most concerning subject to take as an A level. Eeek! :daydreaming:

yess! I got a B as well and all my friends and teachers are saying I shouldn't take it but I really want to do it. I'm gonna see how it goes for the first couple of weeks and if it really is as difficult as everyone says then i'll change it to geography or sociology.
Original post by saeranee
yess! I got a B as well and all my friends and teachers are saying I shouldn't take it but I really want to do it. I'm gonna see how it goes for the first couple of weeks and if it really is as difficult as everyone says then i'll change it to geography or sociology.

I find the algebra part quite difficult though, particularly those big fractions with x's on all three sides of the equation etc.. But you know, we can always go the extra mile with revision and hammer that exam in the end. If we let our Gcse grades (B/A) or people's bad experiences of A-level maths decide our fate, then we will crumble and fall. So, yeah... Goodluck to you!
Reply 23
Original post by FloralEssence
I find the algebra part quite difficult though, particularly those big fractions with x's on all three sides of the equation etc.. But you know, we can always go the extra mile with revision and hammer that exam in the end. If we let our Gcse grades (B/A) or people's bad experiences of A-level maths decide our fate, then we will crumble and fall. So, yeah... Goodluck to you!

I actually find that a lot easier! It's the geometry and graphs I hate! & Yeah I've already done a little of revision already (check out Hegartymaths.com) and I'm planning to do at least an hour every single day. People telling me i can't do it just drives me more!:eviltongue: Good luck to you too! We are going to ace those exam!!:dumbells:
Original post by saeranee
I actually find that a lot easier! It's the geometry and graphs I hate! & Yeah I've already done a little of revision already (check out Hegartymaths.com) and I'm planning to do at least an hour every single day. People telling me i can't do it just drives me more!:eviltongue: Good luck to you too! We are going to ace those exam!!:dumbells:

For me, its the contrary- algebra= mehh , graphs and geometry=
:banana:

Thats good, you've already started revising for maths, I'm still here piled with transition assignments, none of which are maths, but I might start later next week. :biggrin: Also, thanks for the website I will be sure to check it out!
We are going to ace those exam!!

:youbetcha: :wink:
Reply 25
Original post by lucyjames
I also got an A in GCSE maths and a B at AS. It is difficult but if you put in the work then you will be fine, however do be careful in picking the right applied unit (statistics, mechanics,decision) because doing one that doesn't suit you can bring your grade down. It was my C in S1 that caused me to end up with a B overall.

Congrats on your durham chemistry offer. May I ask your stats please as I'm still waiting and its my top choice? Are you a home applicant? Where else have you applied?
Hi Guys- seeking some advice.

My situation is this. I got an A in mathematics GCSE (2013) I did not take it at A- Level. However now I am considering an economics degree. Many universities ask for maths A- Level for this course. I am currently in the second year of my A Levels and I have another years free education after this one (starting September 2015) next year I am considering doing maths and further maths both as the full a levels in just 1 year (the equivalent to doing 4 A2's in one year in terms of workload and times at college)

So, should I do it? Or will my brain be so out of tune with maths I'd fail it. Tutoring is certainly an option as get a very decent wage and I would hold no hesitancy towards putting it towards an investment such as this.

Thanks guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest