The Student Room Group

Should I do maths?

Hi everyone

I got my GCSE results today and had to enrol for sixth form, but I'm still having second thoughts about doing maths.

I'm planning on doing computing at uni, and most good universities tend to ask for maths to at least AS level, so I really should be taking it. However, EVERYONE has told me it's super hard, and it's the subject with the biggest jump. I've even seen people on here who get A*'s at GCSE, then come out with D's and E's at A-level.

I originally had a B in GCSE maths when I took it early in November. I did it again in the summer with the rest of my exams, and managed to get an A. I also did further maths, and came out with a B. I know these are good grades, but are they really good enough for A-level maths? I found further maths so challenging and A-level is only going to be much harder.

Anyone have any advice on how to cope with A-level maths?

Thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I also got an A in GCSE maths and a B at AS. It is difficult but if you put in the work then you will be fine, however do be careful in picking the right applied unit (statistics, mechanics,decision) because doing one that doesn't suit you can bring your grade down. It was my C in S1 that caused me to end up with a B overall.
Original post by ryanroks1
Hi everyone

Thanks.

Do all the work in lesson homework done early and individual practice on topics you struggle with. Of course do a lot of past papers and you'll be fine. It is not as hard as people make it out to be.
Original post by zetamcfc
Do all the work in lesson homework done early and individual practice on topics you struggle with. Of course do a lot of past papers and you'll be fine. It is not as hard as people make it out to be.

This.
Original post by Solivagant
This.

You disagree?
You disagree?

No, I'm agreeing with you.
Original post by Solivagant
No, I'm agreeing with you.

:biggrin:
I'm in the exact same situation as OP. :tongue: Though I only got a B in GCSE Maths.
Reply 8
I got an A in GCSE and 99% in AS level

Whatever decision you make, don't make it off your GCSE result because GCSEs are the worst thing on this planet and have such an ill design

If you think that, if you'd've tried your hardest, you could've got 100% in the algebraic aspects of GCSE maths, then great, if not, then have a look at some Core 1 books, as the course is 99% algebra (hence why I got 99%, sequences suck)

I know that this isn't helpful but only you will know if you should take it or not, as we only see your GCSE results which don't really mean anything, we can't see into your brain, unfortunately.

Whatever you choose to do I hope it goes well.
Original post by yellowcopter
I'm in the exact same situation as OP. :tongue: Though I only got a B in GCSE Maths.

If you put the work in you should have no problem. But you must do all the work set and more for you to be able to replicate it in the exam. If you do the exam will go fine and you'll get an A.
Reply 10
got a C in year 10, did a retake got an A, then got an A for alevel, you'll be fine.

Omg same here, I only got a B for Maths but I hope that I will be able to cope with the course, seeing as the rest of my grades are to standard... well I have to do well, its not really a choice. :s-smilie:

Maths is currently my most concerning subject to take as an A level. Eeek! :daydreaming:
yes it's all about hard work, those who are arrogant about their A* in GCSE will in two years time wonder why they were so crap at A Level
If you put the work in you should have no problem. But you must do all the work set and more for you to be able to replicate it in the exam. If you do the exam will go fine and you'll get an A.

When you say do the work set and more, do you mean when I can't understand something I should try and learn it out of class, and so forth? As well as do loads of practice questions?

I want to do that, but I have no idea how to structurally do so. :frown:

Original post by FloralEssence
Omg same here, I only got a B for Maths but I hope that I will be able to cope with the course, seeing as the rest of my grades are to standard... well I have to do well, its not really a choice. :s-smilie:

Maths is currently my most concerning subject to take as an A level. Eeek! :daydreaming:

Same, I hope I'm able to do well at Maths. :frown: Everyone says that A-Level is mainly algebra, and algebra was my strongest point at GCSE. Though only up to B/A grade GCSE algebra.
Original post by FloralEssence

You put the effort in and you will get the grades you want.
When you say do the work set and more, do you mean when I can't understand something I should try and learn it out of class, and so forth? As well as do loads of practice questions?

I want to do that, but I have no idea how to structurally do so. :frown:

When you struggle with something or don't understand, go out of your way to ask a teacher and get them to help you. Structurally just do maybe 2 or 3 extra questions not in your homework when you get home on the topic you learnt that day. That will give you the base and you can just add throughout the year as you become more confident.
When you struggle with something or don't understand, go out of your way to ask a teacher and get them to help you. Structurally just do maybe 2 or 3 extra questions not in your homework when you get home on the topic you learnt that day. That will give you the base and you can just add throughout the year as you become more confident.

Thanks for the advice! :smile:
If you enjoy it and you're prepared to work for it, then do it.

I personally haven't found it too bad so far (got an A in AS), but I don't want to do A2, which is where it really gets tough (according to my teachers and the people on here). I also don't like the look of M1, too much physics.

But I guess it's a good subject because its quite simple to revise for. Do questions from the textbook, take a few notes if needs be, and do the past papers. Examsolutions is brilliant, definetly watch his videos.
I also used Khan Academy for a bit but didn't like it so stopped,but they're so a source of practise questions so it might be worth taking a look.
What are good A-Levels to take with Maths for a Computer Science route? Other than Further Maths or Physics, both of which I won't and can't do, due to my GCSE grades.

My school offers Computing so I'm going to do Computing and Maths. I'm also going to do English Literature since I like English. As for my fourth subject I don't know what to do. I don't want to do a Science. Should I do something like Economics? I've heard Economics at A-Level is really hard to cope with.

Anyone know any decent/respectable fourth A-Levels, that aren't too hard to cope with alongside my other 3 subjects?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ryanroks1
Hi everyone

I got my GCSE results today and had to enrol for sixth form, but I'm still having second thoughts about doing maths.

I'm planning on doing computing at uni, and most good universities tend to ask for maths to at least AS level, so I really should be taking it. However, EVERYONE has told me it's super hard, and it's the subject with the biggest jump. I've even seen people on here who get A*'s at GCSE, then come out with D's and E's at A-level.

I originally had a B in GCSE maths when I took it early in November. I did it again in the summer with the rest of my exams, and managed to get an A. I also did further maths, and came out with a B. I know these are good grades, but are they really good enough for A-level maths? I found further maths so challenging and A-level is only going to be much harder.

Thanks.

My main advice when choosing A-Levels would be to take claims like 'this is a hard subject' with a sizeable pinch of salt, perhaps a large industrial sized bag of salt.

People often exaggerate how difficult AS and A-Level are, and the simple fact is that if you try hard you will do well, and it certainly doesn't totally rely on intelligence. This isn't to say that AS-Level will be a breeze, and it is true that a lot of people say Maths in particular is difficult, but unless you found it excessively challenging at GCSE I don't think this should stop you.

For the record, I know a couple of people who found AS-Level maths very easy despite not having astounding grade averages.

Quick Reply

Latest