The Student Room Group

Does size actually matter ?

Not penis size, im talking about body size in terms of standing up for yourself, most people look at guys and be like he's big dont say anything to him hes big. However im not that big im quite strong but skinny, but I can verbally speak up but like I said is it about size, or does skill and intelligence take over ?

Im also wanting a job as a doorman I like what the job consists of, but I was thinking would people take me serious on the doors as I am not big like the stereotypical bouncers but I can speak out verbally, but with the security techniques I dont think I'll have a problem ejecting people.
It's probably the visual barrier bar/ club owners like about bigger guys, not their verbal skills. Someone for a customer to look at and think 'Christ, I'm not taking that on.'

But then again, I guess the manner in which you deal with people as a doorman is also important. I'd big yourself up on that if you do apply.
Reply 2
Original post by rachel.h
It's probably the visual barrier bar/ club owners like about bigger guys, not their verbal skills. Someone for a customer to look at and think 'Christ, I'm not taking that on.'

But then again, I guess the manner in which you deal with people as a doorman is also important. I'd big yourself up on that if you do apply.

Seen. But still if your a big guy and it come down to a situation and you cant really deal with the person verbally then you will have a hard time as a doorman. Ejecting is only last resourt unless the person does something stupid like climbs on to the stage or goes into a restricted area.
Bigger guys are physically far more intimidating and command almost immediate respect from other men. That's because having a muscular physique is not something you inherit - it's a product of your own hard work.

Whether a muscular guy can fight or not - that's a separate question. However, most people aren't willing to risk it.

Muscular also get more attention from attractive women. That's just the reality.
Reply 4
A lot of it is your way with words!

[video="youtube;yWfetF1jCO4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWfetF1jCO4[/video]
Original post by IMBCFC
Not penis size, im talking about body size in terms of standing up for yourself, most people look at guys and be like he's big dont say anything to him hes big. However im not that big im quite strong but skinny, but I can verbally speak up but like I said is it about size, or does skill and intelligence take over ?

Im also wanting a job as a doorman I like what the job consists of, but I was thinking would people take me serious on the doors as I am not big like the stereotypical bouncers but I can speak out verbally, but with the security techniques I dont think I'll have a problem ejecting people.

no...its about your guise/aura...the way you come off...its many soft looking 6'4 300lbs dudes and its many tough 5'6 slim dudes...if you hold a stubborn belief that nobody is gonna **** with you and you stay calm and confident...everythings gonna be cool....try martial arts if you are concerned about big dudes

if it was a fight...bigger dudes = more wind resistance on em due to more mass so theyre slower...more weight makes em slower...poor stamina..poor agility and flexibility...and individual personality flaws that bring em down

some women like fat dudes...some like skinny...some like athletic...some like bodybuilder types....so thats def not true zorgotron
Original post by IMBCFC

No. As a martial artist, I can tell you size means **** all when fighting a standing fight or wrestling. In my only fight to date I fought a taller opponent striking and they didn't know what they were doing. So it relies mainly on skill. But when it comes to the ground a small guy being at the bottom is a disadvantage, especially when the guy on top knows what they're doing. I know this from first hand experience at training. I can take out inexperienced big guys on the ground but it's a struggle in itself. When someone is 50-60 pounds (25-30 kg's) heavier that's when it becomes a struggle (only really applies to ground imo). Also training ground game with bigger people can make you susceptible to injury. If you want to be a door man, definitely get some training in boxing or muay thai
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the...
Original post by alex193
A lot of it is your way with words!

[video="youtube;yWfetF1jCO4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWfetF1jCO4[/video]

More like your reputation, who the hell in their right mind would start a fight with a kick boxing champion.
Reply 9
Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD
More like your reputation, who the hell in their right mind would start a fight with a kick boxing champion.

lmao the guys balls dropped
Reply 10
Original post by IMBCFC
Seen. But still if your a big guy and it come down to a situation and you cant really deal with the person verbally then you will have a hard time as a doorman. Ejecting is only last resourt unless the person does something stupid like climbs on to the stage or goes into a restricted area.

Bull **** is it, I got thrown out of a club for spilling a drink at the weekend, having paid for it beforehand....
Original post by Tom78
Bull **** is it, I got thrown out of a club for spilling a drink at the weekend, having paid for it beforehand....

It depends on the security firm and what the doormen are like. I've been taught that ejecting is a last resourt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending