The Student Room Group

Alevels??

So the only a I got was geography though I didn't enjoy it at gcse I am wondering wether to do it at alevel as it was my best or will my life be a misery !?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by May131313
So the only a I got was geography though I didn't enjoy it at gcse I am wondering wether to do it at alevel as it was my best or will my life be a misery !?

Hey man do what makes you happy, perhaps you should consider what you want to do further down the line and do the subjects that match your career path :smile: At the end of the day it is your life and your choice best of luck!!
Do what you enjoy doing, if you didn't enjoy it at GCSE you will cry at the workloads they'd give you at A Level for a subject you don't enjoy. Grades at GCSE don't always reflect what you could achieve at A Level, I had a friend that was a D grade in a subject at GCSE and achieved A* at the end of A Level.
Reply 3
Original post by belalmahmood
Hey man do what makes you happy, perhaps you should consider what you want to do further down the line and do the subjects that match your career path :smile: At the end of the day it is your life and your choice best of luck!!

Yeah my problem I have no clue what I want to do there are so many different uni courses aswell! Thank you so much !:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by AlphaDog0127
Do what you enjoy doing, if you didn't enjoy it at GCSE you will cry at the workloads they'd give you at A Level for a subject you don't enjoy. Grades at GCSE don't always reflect what you could achieve at A Level, I had a friend that was a D grade in a subject at GCSE and achieved A* at the end of A Level.

Thank you a lot yes I Spose I was just lucky on that one or something :s-smilie:
Thank you a lot yes I Spose I was just lucky on that one or something :s-smilie:

or you might be good at it lol

Personally I've always found that I'm more willing to do work for subjects I enjoy and will try harder because I actually care about the subject and want to achieve. And with the amount of work you get set at A Level, you are going to want all the motivation you can get :biggrin:

I'd advise to do something you enjoy :yep: Even though you had a good grade at GCSE, it may all go downhill at a levels.. especially if you don't enjoy the subject, you may not be able to deal with it and be unhappy doing it. What a levels have you chosen? :smile:
Reply 7
or you might be good at it lol

Personally I've always found that I'm more willing to do work for subjects I enjoy and will try harder because I actually care about the subject and want to achieve. And with the amount of work you get set at A Level, you are going to want all the motivation you can get :biggrin:

Yes I Spose as I know a levels are a big jump I may just leave it there with geography :biggrin: Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by Black Rose
I'd advise to do something you enjoy :yep: Even though you had a good grade at GCSE, it may all go downhill at a levels.. especially if you don't enjoy the subject, you may not be able to deal with it and be unhappy doing it. What a levels have you chosen? :smile:

Yeah I Spose so I keep changing my mind lol so ATM i have psychology, photography, business which I have never done before and then graphics though I am not sure now as I really think it's my passion though I got an a* in the coursework and really let my self down in the exam with a d :mad: averaging at a b but 7 marks off an a :mad:
Yeah I Spose so I keep changing my mind lol so ATM i have psychology, photography, business which I have never done before and then graphics though I am not sure now as I really think it's my passion though I got an a* in the coursework and really let my self down in the exam with a d :mad: averaging at a b but 7 marks off an a :mad:

Do you know what you want to go into after A Levels? and I didn't think they let students do business at A Level having not done it at GCSEs, I'd dread to have to go into a subject at a higher level when people already had the basics sorted out lol

Do you want to business, do you like it? Hmm can you work out why you let yourself down, what did you do that was wrong?

Maybe you could talk to the subject teachers about it? See what they think you're capable of? Have you had a look at the course specs?
Reply 11
Do you know what you want to go into after A Levels? and I didn't think they let students do business at A Level having not done it at GCSEs, I'd dread to have to go into a subject at a higher level when people already had the basics sorted out lol

Well i was set on graphic designer and psychologist as a back up I'm not to sure tbh! And I thought the same but the teacher said people who took it at gcse won't be at much of an advantage at all also the gcse course was a b tech I'm not sure if that makes a difference :confused:
Well i was set on graphic designer and psychologist as a back up I'm not to sure tbh! And I thought the same but the teacher said people who took it at gcse won't be at much of an advantage at all also the gcse course was a b tech I'm not sure if that makes a difference :confused:

If you wanted to be a graphic designer then taking graphics might be a good idea... lol, and I'm sure photography would be a good choice. Maybe take an essay based subject too, I did Fine Art, Product Design and Sociology at A Level :biggrin: It was nice because you get 1 coursework subject, 1 exam subject and 1 50:50, unlike some students you don't end up sitting 8+ exams in the summer and have a coursework fallback! Psychology looked really interesting too, I know lots of people who sat that and enjoyed it :smile:
Reply 13
Do you want to business, do you like it? Hmm can you work out why you let yourself down, what did you do that was wrong?

Maybe you could talk to the subject teachers about it? See what they think you're capable of? Have you had a look at the course specs?

Yes I think I'll find business intriguing looking at the course content :smile: Think some new subject will be more interesting, I just panicked on the exam I suppose it happens to everyone at some point let anxiety get the better of me! I know my teacher thinks I could do better I was predicted an a* and had gotten a's in past papers I don't know what happened!
Yes I think I'll find business intriguing looking at the course content :smile: Think some new subject will be more interesting, I just panicked on the exam I suppose it happens to everyone at some point let anxiety get the better of me! I know my teacher thinks I could do better I was predicted an a* and had gotten a's in past papers I don't know what happened!
That's great then! :biggrin: Perhaps you should do graphics, you have a passion for it and are good at it. What does your teacher say about doing the subject at a level? :smile:
Reply 15
If you wanted to be a graphic designer then taking graphics might be a good idea... lol, and I'm sure photography would be a good choice. Maybe take an essay based subject too, I did Fine Art, Product Design and Sociology at A Level :biggrin: It was nice because you get 1 coursework subject, 1 exam subject and 1 50:50, unlike some students you don't end up sitting 8+ exams in the summer and have a coursework fallback! Psychology looked really interesting too, I know lots of people who sat that and enjoyed it :smile:

Yes haha! That sounds like a good idea I have thought about art and with getting 1 mark off an a at gcse I was tempted but find it really stressful! That's good to hear thank you so much! If you don't mind me asking was are you doing career/education wise? :biggrin:
Reply 16
That's great then! :biggrin: Perhaps you should do graphics, you have a passion for it and are good at it. What does your teacher say about doing the subject at a level? :smile:

Yes I think I will enjoy it! My teacher has been very keen on me doing it for a level but I haven't yet spoken to her about my grade for gcse:frown: Thank you
Yes I think I will enjoy it! My teacher has been very keen on me doing it for a level but I haven't yet spoken to her about my grade for gcse:frown: Thank you

Hope it works out :h:
Yes haha! That sounds like a good idea I have thought about art and with getting 1 mark off an a at gcse I was tempted but find it really stressful! That's good to hear thank you so much! If you don't mind me asking was are you doing career/education wise? :biggrin:

Personally I would never advise anyone to do art at A Level.. lol and I shall be going to Uni in September to study Computer Animation and Visual Effects :biggrin:
Reply 19
Hope it works out :h:

Thank you so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest