The Student Room Group

Orthoptics 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sian T
Hey guys, I'd love to get some advise... I've applied for Orthoptics at Sheffield and Liverpool. I have already got AAB at a level (psychology, sociology and english lit) and I am currently studying biology. I couldn't study biology at sixth form because the grade requirement was BB at GCSE science but I got CB, so I am following an online course. Liverpool rejected me because of my GCSE science grade... BUT the reason I got a C was because before that exam I suffered a blowout fracture (which introduced me to Orthoptics and made me want to study it). I missed school and some exams, including that science exam which I got a C in. Does that make sense? What should I do??

I think in this kind of situation, your best source of advice would come from the admissions departments from the universities you're applying to. If you just dropped them an email and explained your situation and what you're currently doing to fix it, hopefully they should be able to tell you what your options are.

That's such a shame though, and I'm really sorry to hear about Liverpool's outcome. Did you not get special consideration for the exams you missed?
Original post by Sian T
Hey guys, I'd love to get some advise... I've applied for Orthoptics at Sheffield and Liverpool. I have already got AAB at a level (psychology, sociology and english lit) and I am currently studying biology. I couldn't study biology at sixth form because the grade requirement was BB at GCSE science but I got CB, so I am following an online course. Liverpool rejected me because of my GCSE science grade... BUT the reason I got a C was because before that exam I suffered a blowout fracture (which introduced me to Orthoptics and made me want to study it). I missed school and some exams, including that science exam which I got a C in. Does that make sense? What should I do??

See if Sheffield get in touch, and contact the admissions tutor for Liverpool - given your circumstances it's worth enquiring if there would be any other entry route for you aside from having to redo the GCSE. Hope you can work something out!
You should contact the admissions tutor and explain any extenuating circumstances that you may have, but you'll have to provide some kind of evidence with your explanation. At liverpool the admissions tutor is Anna O'Connor - [email protected]. If you have any other questions you can follow the liverpool ambassadors on Twitter @livuniorthoptic or like our facebook page
Original post by MichieMelodi
Thanks :smile: I got ABB in maths, biology and chemistry. Are you thinking of applying/ have you applied for orthoptics?

I got that too! In Bio, Chem and ICT though :tongue: and yes, I've only just sent my application so think I'll be waiting a while to hear back;( did they get back to quite quickly?
Anyone going to the interview in Sheffield on the 11th of Feb?

Also, people who have already had an interview in Sheffield how long did you stay for after the interview time?
Original post by SchoolKid.

Also, people who have already had an interview in Sheffield how long did you stay for after the interview time?

Yeah! Me :biggrin:
Original post by whysosirius
Yeah! Me :biggrin:

I will see you there! Where are you coming from if you don't mind me asking?
I will see you there! Where are you coming from if you don't mind me asking?

PM'd you :smile:
Original post by whysosirius
I got that too! In Bio, Chem and ICT though :tongue: and yes, I've only just sent my application so think I'll be waiting a while to hear back;( did they get back to quite quickly?

They got back to me the following day, and I got my offer a day after that :biggrin: so I guess that's a yes.

I stayed for another hour or so, just to look around the high street a bit, but there's no need to hang around afterwards :smile:
I've had a conditional offer for Liverpool! I'm quite nervous as I'm studying an access course rather than A levels (I'm a mature student) and the requirements are distinctions in everything. Fingers crossed though.
What sort of questions do they ask you at the interview? :confused:
do they give you a specific time for the interview? because the letter I got just says turn up for 12.30 (registration) and then I don't know what time the interview is!
Original post by omanadilahko
What sort of questions do they ask you at the interview? :confused:

Just usual why orthoptics and they asked some about communication skills and nhs values I applied for optometry too so they asked me the difference between optometry and orthoptics :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Marigold12
do they give you a specific time for the interview? because the letter I got just says turn up for 12.30 (registration) and then I don't know what time the interview is!

Well you get put into groups on the day and they tour you around and then you get interviewed it depends what group they put you in

Posted from TSR Mobile
is there are group interview within the Sheffield interview day
Original post by hannahc745
is there are group interview within the Sheffield interview day

nope. it's pretty much MMI.
Original post by MichieMelodi
nope. it's pretty much MMI.

Thankyou! Congrats on your offer!
Hi everyone, I have offers for Liverpool and Glasgow (BBB) but been given an interview/open day for Sheffield.. Does anybody know what kind of questions they might ask?
Original post by yaknow 66
Just usual why orthoptics and they asked some about communication skills and nhs values I applied for optometry too so they asked me the difference between optometry and orthoptics :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Have you had an offer?

Also do they ask MMI style questions like where they give you a certain situation and you have to come up with a solution? Or just straight forward general questions? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest