The Student Room Group

Are they likely to offer me again?

Hi...so first of all im a medicine reject...got straight A*s in both gcse and a level...(i basically failed med interviews and didnt apply smart also had bad ukcat of 725 - I know its weird that some universities thought my ukcat was low)...so after all 4 rejections....i got an offer from UCAS EXTRA.....for UCL biochemical engineering A*AA.....without interview

I am taking a gap year and applying for 2015 entry...(i got 3A*s)

But i now cant decide between the both...but will apply to 4 medicine and UCL AS MY 5TH?????

WOULD THEY STILL OFFER ME THE SAME COURSE I DECLINED LAST YEAR? Im applying with a medical ps again? Whst should i say?

i really want to get into uni this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by solarplexus
Hi...so first of all im a medicine reject...got straight A*s in both gcse and a level...(i basically failed med interviews and didnt apply smart also had bad ukcat)...so after all 4 rejections....i got an offer from UCAS EXTRA.....for UCL biochemical engineering A*AA.....without interview

But i now cant decide between the both...but will apply to 4 medicine and UCL AS MY 5TH?????

WOULD THEY STILL OFFER ME THE SAME COURSE I DECLINED LAST YEAR? Im applying with a medical ps again? Whst should i say?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn are'nt you the one who got like 90% UMS in all your AS subjects... and you got rejected? I've got no hope looool

Its not like you're gonna get rejected from the 4 med schools when you reapply if you think about it. But it would be good to have that biochem course at UCL as a back-up. Idk if they'll offer you the same course you rejected the year before. That's a weird one :eek:
Original post by 2en1
Damn are'nt you the one who got like 90% UMS in all your AS subjects... and you got rejected? I've got no hope looool

Its not like you're gonna get rejected from the 4 med schools when you reapply if you think about it. But it would be good to have that biochem course at UCL as a back-up. Idk if they'll offer you the same course you rejected the year before. That's a weird one :eek:

Why not? That happens to plenty of people.
Really practise your interview skills. Time yourself talking about different topics etc and get family members/ friends to test you :smile:
For the offer thing, I'm not too sure- maybe call UCL and explain your situation and ask for their advice?
Reply 4
Original post by Solivagant
Why not? That happens to plenty of people.

Really? I thought if you have the grades already, have a good ps and good interview then you're in!
Original post by 2en1
Really? I thought if you have the grades already, have a good ps and good interview then you're in!

Well there's no certainty that she'll have a good interview or PS...
When you apply for the 2015, you are going to be faced with an interview again. What did you get for your UKCAT? Was the average at least above 640?
If you think you can do better in the UKCAT and the interview for 2015 cycle then there is really no one stopping you.
The decision, in the end, is up to you. Where does your heart lie? If you are going to apply for med, taking a gap year, then you should really review the interview questions that messed you over and well, revise for your UKCAT, which you have to sit soon...
I agree that you should really just focus on your interview technique, I read your thread a while back about the interviews. Just focus on being confident and assertive, practise possible questions and answers beforehand, write them out and learn them, try get someone to stage practise interviews with you, I did that with my sister, give yourself plenty of time to prepare. I understand how scary these interviews can be, I messed up big time in an interview but worked through my issues for the next one. I don't see why you wouldn't get another offer, especially with grades like yours, and if you are applying for medicine focus your personal statement on that, why you want to do it, why you will benefit their university etc. Although, considering that you already got into the interview stages, your previous personal statement was good enough, I think with your gap year, you will be well prepared for uni, and you deserve a spot at one of those med courses, good luck!
Original post by Solivagant
Well there's no certainty that she'll have a good interview or PS...

Original post by 2en1

Well in fact there is a certainty that she sucked (or underperformed for the sake of euphemism) in her interviews and her ps and thus led to her 4 rejections

Oh ,and the UKCAT

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
you seem to live in London and your strength is academic so apply to universities like Imperial that use the BMAT instead of UKCAT and Birmingham, if they still don't use it at all.

What will you do in your gap year? Get a job through the nhs jobs website, a bank job if nothing permanent is available. Reapplicants with good grades often do get a place as long as they don't show a lack of confidence at interview. Working will probably give you more confidence and impresses interviewers more than swanning off somewhere.
Original post by Med_medine
Well in fact there is a certainty that she sucked (or underperformed for the sake of euphemism) in her interviews and her ps and thus led to her 4 rejections

Oh ,and the UKCAT

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, yeah i messed up interview - thats it. My ps was strong enough to give me an interview invite on october 22nd from Bham...Oxford dont look at ps, kcl didnt like my ukcat of 725 and barts were nice enough to interview me. I am going to apply to edinburgh this year (no interview) and maybe US BS/MD programme (telephone/ skypeinterview)

Original post by chemlover12
When you apply for the 2015, you are going to be faced with an interview again. What did you get for your UKCAT? Was the average at least above 640?
If you think you can do better in the UKCAT and the interview for 2015 cycle then there is really no one stopping you.
The decision, in the end, is up to you. Where does your heart lie? If you are going to apply for med, taking a gap year, then you should really review the interview questions that messed you over and well, revise for your UKCAT, which you have to sit soon...

I got 725 Band 2, but KCL cutoff for interview was 730 (and apparently my academics did not make up for it) pretty pathetic if I may say so..on the open day they said that poor ukcat (mine was not even that poor) would be compensated for by strong academics. Going to apply to Edinburgh (no interview).
Original post by 2en1

Yeah I did get 90% in all my AS - 96% chem, 95% bio and 93% maths; but ended up with 97% bio 94% chem and 92% maths (i hate maths)...

don't worry though they say 'grades are not everything' unless its oxford, cambridge, edinburgh; but even then they want to see you as a sort of well rounded person...
UKCAT clearly didn't let you down, but not applying wisely did.
I had 578 and still had two offers.
Just work on your PS, interview skills mostly. Yes you can apply for UCL as your fifth again. My friends put their fifth again after rejecting it and got it (mostly because they look at your grades rather than anything else).
I don't do Medicine, but I just want to say good luck to the OP. Regardless of the subject, perseverance always pays off and reveals a great quality about your character.

Your year should be much better this year, as the pressure of academics is off and you can focus on prepping for interviews.

:smile:
725 is not a bad UKCAT LOL, that can get you an interview from pretty much anywhere... You applied to the most competitive universities, a medicine degree is a medicine degree....
Original post by derma2019
Just work on your PS, interview skills mostly. Yes you can apply for UCL as your fifth again. My friends put their fifth again after rejecting it and got it (mostly because they look at your grades rather than anything else).

Where did you receive offers from? :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by solarplexus
Hi...so first of all im a medicine reject...got straight A*s in both gcse and a level...(i basically failed med interviews and didnt apply smart also had bad ukcat of 725 - I know its weird that some universities thought my ukcat was low)...so after all 4 rejections....i got an offer from UCAS EXTRA.....for UCL biochemical engineering A*AA.....without interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

A UKCAT of 725 is definitely not bad- I got 717.5 and got two offers this year :smile: It's all about applying strategically!
Original post by alevelzzz
725 is not a bad UKCAT LOL, that can get you an interview from pretty much anywhere... You applied to the most competitive universities, a medicine degree is a medicine degree....

I actually agree, in retrospect yeah applied to the 'most well known' which means 'most oversubscribed'
Original post by derma2019

Yeah I agree this year I'll be less picky as I definitely want to get in somewhere...yeah UCL hopefully will offer me (otherwise that will be a bit of a d1ck move by them)
Original post by parentlurker
you seem to live in London and your strength is academic so apply to universities like Imperial that use the BMAT instead of UKCAT and Birmingham, if they still don't use it at all.

What will you do in your gap year? Get a job through the nhs jobs website, a bank job if nothing permanent is available. Reapplicants with good grades often do get a place as long as they don't show a lack of confidence at interview. Working will probably give you more confidence and impresses interviewers more than swanning off somewhere.

Hi planning to help out orphanages in myanmar and from august to february got part time job as admin assistant at surgery...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending