The Student Room Group

GCSE Results - Good enough?

I'm a hopeful who wants to do medicine either at Oxbridge or Imperial University. How effective do you guys think these GCSE grades would be for me potentially getting a course there in the long run?

Maths - A*
English Language - A
English Literature - A
Science Core - A
Science Additional - B
Biology IGCSE - A
Chemistry IGCSE - B
Physics IGCSE - B
Spanish - C
Geography - A
Religious Studies - B
Resistant Materials - C
OCR Nationals Level 2 ICT - Distinction (If this BTEC helps lol)

Your feedback is heavily appreciated. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Studious_Student
I'm a hopeful who wants to do medicine either at Oxbridge or Imperial University. How effective do you guys think these GCSE grades would be for me potentially getting a course there in the long run?

Maths - A*
English Language - A
English Literature - A
Science Core - A
Science Additional - B
Biology IGCSE - A
Chemistry IGCSE - B
Physics IGCSE - B
Spanish - C
Geography - A
Religious Studies - B
Resistant Materials - C
OCR Nationals Level 2 ICT - Distinction (If this BTEC helps lol)

Your feedback is heavily appreciated. :smile:

They are fine. Just do well in you A-levels.
Oxbridge probably not unless you smash AS (UMS wise) and apply to Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kabulkid
Oxbridge probably not unless you smash AS (UMS wise) and apply to Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I heard that Oxford heavily relies on GCSEs so I think these grades won't be enough but I think that I can get into Cambridge if I do what you said. What about Imperial University?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zetamcfc
They are fine. Just do well in you A-levels.

I'll try to! I definitely could have done much better in these exams!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll try to! I definitely could have done much better in these exams!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't beat yourself up, just remember to put the work in an you will get the rewards.
Original post by zetamcfc
Don't beat yourself up, just remember to put the work in an you will get the rewards.

I won't, my grades actually went better than I initially thought so I can't actually complain. But you're right, I'll need to work harder to get the grades I want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I heard that Oxford heavily relies on GCSEs so I think these grades won't be enough but I think that I can get into Cambridge if I do what you said. What about Imperial University?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Imperial won't mind; don't worry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kabulkid
Imperial won't mind; don't worry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That makes me feel a lot better!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why just Oxbridge and Imperial? Broaden your choices
Original post by ennahaspatience
Why just Oxbridge and Imperial? Broaden your choices

I have other universities in the back if my head, but Imperial and Oxbridge are my top universities that I wish to get into.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I have other universities in the back if my head, but Imperial and Oxbridge are my top universities that I wish to get into.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm saying that because for a course as competitive as medicine you are against people that have like 6A*s+ in general not to even mention Oxbridge and Imperial. Yes, you can still get in but you need to exceptionally well in A level and get valuable work experience. Tbh, My opinion is that Medical School is medical school , they all have to meet a certain standard. Think of why is it you want to go Oxbridge or imperial? And use it to encourage you during A level I guess LOL. I'm the same age as you, i just got my GCSE results as well, but I did so much research into medicine before but now I don't want to go into the profession anymore :colondollar:
GCSE's are pointless unless you get the A*/A*/A requirements for Oxford or Cambridge. Seriously though, GCSE's are completely pointless, the majority of my friends got A* or A in all of their subjects, A-levels are actually quite hard and you actually have to revise for A-levels, so just concentrate on that for now..
no they're ****. sorry kid
Original post by ennahaspatience
I'm saying that because for a course as competitive as medicine you are against people that have like 6A*s+ in general not to even mention Oxbridge and Imperial. Yes, you can still get in but you need to exceptionally well in A level and get valuable work experience. Tbh, My opinion is that Medical School is medical school , they all have to meet a certain standard. Think of why is it you want to go Oxbridge or imperial? And use it to encourage you during A level I guess LOL. I'm the same age as you, i just got my GCSE results as well, but I did so much research into medicine before but now I don't want to go into the profession anymore :colondollar:

I see, I am aware of the fact that it is so competitive and I really want to get into the medical circuit for personal AND financial reasons lol, I guess for AS and A2 I'll have to work my butt off to get grades suitable for these high end universities! If you don't mind me asking, what turned you away from the profession in the end?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fairytail
no they're ****. sorry kid

It's alright.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JRFishers
GCSE's are pointless unless you get the A*/A*/A requirements for Oxford or Cambridge. Seriously though, GCSE's are completely pointless, the majority of my friends got A* or A in all of their subjects, A-levels are actually quite hard and you actually have to revise for A-levels, so just concentrate on that for now..

I will do that in the next two years, thank you very much for your knowledge!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blobar
Why?

Well...lets just say that a traditional Asian upbringing along with a mild perfectionist attitude can make people think this. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was being sarcastic. These grades are excellent - you don't need student room to validate how good they are.

My friend who had 4 A's and a bunch of B's got accepted into Oxford to study chemistry... Anything is possible if you work hard enough.

Quick Reply

Latest