The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 1
xxredlipstickxx
I'm going to be studying sociology, and am currently trying to choose electives (easier said than done as i'm sure you know). I'm considering doing a foundation course in a language (not sure which one yet, possibly German) but the idea of learning a language again is a bit scary for some reason. Any current sussex students have any experiences with the foundation courses? Or anyone else considering taking any?
Ta!

I'm considering doing Italian or Japanese, it'll be fun, and I imagine it would make a nice change to sitting through another 2 hour lecture. Even if it is hard, from what I've read, I don't think you get 'tested' rigorously on it as such, I think it's more learning how to communicate in another language for your own use. If it's foundation level I doubt it'll be out of anyone's reach because it will be aimed at beginners. Go for it if you think you'd enjoy it! It might come in useful some day too, you never know!
I found out more info on the courses on the sussex website here: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/languages/1-4-2-1.html
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Hey, thanks v.much for the advice, i'm considering either Italian or Japanese too! Swaying towards Italian though.. Yeah, thinking about it it's going to be really basic stuff isn't it, so it would be a laugh in a way. Thanks for the link!
Reply 3
Alternatively you could check out the Language Society who organise informal learning groups

Jo x
Reply 4
I did Beginners Mandarin as an open language course last year. It may have been a little on the pricy side, but the teaching and facilities were excellent. Cannot recommend them highly enough. :biggrin:
Reply 5
im gonna do german:biggrin: did it at GCSE but then gave it up :frown: been doing it since i was like 7...so wana finish what i started!! xxx

Latest

Trending

Trending