The Student Room Group

Have I thrown away Cambridge NatSci?

AS French : D
GCSE App Business: B
GCSE Core Science : A
GCSE Maths : A*

I'm so ashamed. I can't sleep because I want to be sick everytime I think about that science grade. How do I damage control this? Help me please.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Well it is GCSE so has no real effect on university really, if you get into a good college which I am sure you will with an A*/A/B then you just need to work hard at college to get the results.

Cambridge is very hard to get in to though (obviously) so you will need to work hard.. my friend got A*AAA at A-level and wasn't even considered unfortunately for him..

tl:dr put more work in at a-level, don't think it is as easy as GCSE's
Reply 2
To be honest it will be hard since most other people will have flawless GSCE's but not impossible, if you improve for A levels you might still have a chance.
Original post by Xxpeeps
To be honest it will be hard since most other people will have flawless GSCE's but not impossible, if you improve for A levels you might still have a chance.

Well I'm going to resit Core and then my grades for the end of Y11 should hopefully be:

A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AB which should be okay right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
Well I'm going to resit Core and then my grades for the end of Y11 should hopefully be:

A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AB which should be okay right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is all about A-levels

I got A*/A*/A*/A*/A*/A*/A*/A*/A/A/A at GCSE and then A/A/A at A-level and I know I was never going to get into either cambridge or oxford.

TBH They are really stuck up and if you don't come from a super rich background or if you're not getting A*/A*/A* at college then its pretty much impossible.

Also, why are you so focused on oxford/cambridge, there are many universities which are just as good in the eyes of employers and also alot about univeristy is the enviroment, and as I said earlier those two universities seem stuck up and pretentious.
Original post by JRFishers
It is all about A-levels

I got A*/A*/A*/A*/A*/A*/A*/A*/A/A/A at GCSE and then A/A/A at A-level and I know I was never going to get into either cambridge or oxford.

TBH They are really stuck up and if you don't come from a super rich background or if you're not getting A*/A*/A* at college then its pretty much impossible.

Also, why are you so focused on oxford/cambridge, there are many universities which are just as good in the eyes of employers and also alot about univeristy is the enviroment, and as I said earlier those two universities seem stuck up and pretentious.

I just love Cambridge's NatSci course. Not to mention the international reputation and the contacts to be made.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
My sister didn't even do the GCSE for the subject she studied at Cambridge....

Don't bother resitting/retaking ****, just focus on your A-levels and perform well at interview.
Reply 7
Ignore the other dude, your GCSEs will be fine as long as they are supported by an equally strong A2 prediction and AS grades. NatSci is probably going to need A*A*A or A*AA, but as long as you work hard I am sure you can easily get that!
Reply 8
As long as you get 90%+ UMS in AS then you have a decent chance, with the right A level subjects of course. Cambridge don't really care about GCSEs.
Reply 9
It is all about A-levels

Most people at these unis are not rich, let alone super rich. It's true that they have very good grades though, but that's to be expected isn't it. They're not stuck up and pretentious because you didn't get the grades which is what it looks like you're suggesting.

I'd argue no other universities have better environments than Oxford and Cambridge. You are surrounded by extremely bright people, both students and academics.
Original post by Mike93L
Most people at these unis are not rich, let alone super rich. It's true that they have very good grades though, but that's to be expected isn't it. They're not stuck up and pretentious because you didn't get the grades which is what it looks like you're suggesting.

I'd argue no other universities have better environments than Oxford and Cambridge. You are surrounded by extremely bright people, both students and academics.

I did get the grades I wanted at A-level, I got AAA which was enough for me to get into my firm choice university, ofcourse it wouldn't have been enough for Oxbridge but to be honest if say I got A*A*A* there are other universities I would choose over Cambridge, and I wouldn't really have considered Oxford for the subject I am doing.
I did get the grades I wanted at A-level, I got AAA which was enough for me to get into my firm choice university, ofcourse it wouldn't have been enough for Oxbridge but to be honest if say I got A*A*A* there are other universities I would choose over Cambridge, and I wouldn't really have considered Oxford for the subject I am doing.

How do you know so much about Oxbridge to be able to say everyone there is rich and pretentious if you never even went to interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you know so much about Oxbridge to be able to say everyone there is rich and pretentious if you never even went to interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plenty of people I know had interviews there, also I have visited the campus, you don't need to have an interview to visit..

Also it is an opinion, not a fact, so I am allowed to have an opinion on the people there even if it differs from your opinion.

Either way, back on topic, you should just work hard at college and get the grades you need, and GCSEs are pretty irrelevant, I don't see them turning you down if you go to them with 3 A*s.. but like I said, they turn down people who gets A*s and A-level all of the time.
Plenty of people I know had interviews there, also I have visited the campus, you don't need to have an interview to visit..

Also it is an opinion, not a fact, so I am allowed to have an opinion on the people there even if it differs from your opinion.

Either way, back on topic, you should just work hard at college and get the grades you need, and GCSEs are pretty irrelevant, I don't see them turning you down if you go to them with 3 A*s.. but like I said, they turn down people who gets A*s and A-level all of the time.

Okay but you stated it as fact.

I really hope they at least interview me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is all about A-levels

Well that's not true in the slightest. Someone's bitterness is getting in the way of the facts.
Original post by Solivagant
Well that's not true in the slightest. Someone's bitterness is getting in the way of the facts.

Like I said, how can I be bitter if I didn't even put either of these universities down as a choice? and how could I be bitter if I got into my first choice university?

And you said it isn't true at all, so if someone applies with A*A*A* but they got for example A*A*A*A*A*A*AAABD or something at GCSE, if they go say "oh, you got a D at GCSE? Sorry, we won't give you an offer" then how is that even relevant, that D is most likely in a subject with 0 relevance to the subject you want to study at the university and surely getting A*A*A* shows you are both hard working and smart enough for the course?

-fin
Like I said, how can I be bitter if I didn't even put either of these universities down as a choice? and how could I be bitter if I got into my first choice university?

And you said it isn't true at all, so if someone applies with A*A*A* but they got for example A*A*A*A*A*A*AAABD or something at GCSE, if they go say "oh, you got a D at GCSE? Sorry, we won't give you an offer" then how is that even relevant, that D is most likely in a subject with 0 relevance to the subject you want to study at the university and surely getting A*A*A* shows you are both hard working and smart enough for the course?

-fin

Because there will be plenty of people in a similar situation who didn't get the D, who are therefore better candidates. There's a lot of competition from a lot of good people, it has nothing to do with being rich or stuck up.
Original post by Solivagant
Because there will be plenty of people in a similar situation who didn't get the D, who are therefore better candidates. There's a lot of competition from a lot of good people, it has nothing to do with being rich or stuck up.

Okay, but there is a higher number of stuck up people there, in my opinion. I didn't realize that if you gave an opinion on this forum people got so butthurt about it.
Okay but you stated it as fact.

I really hope they at least interview me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a long long way away for you yet. Don't worry about that and concentrate on doing your best in the next few years first :h:
Okay, but there is a higher number of stuck up people there, in my opinion. I didn't realize that if you gave an opinion on this forum people got so butthurt about it.

You didn't give your opinion. You stated it as fact.

I'm not butthurt. I'm going to Oxford, and I can't say I've met anyone yet who is stuck up and pretentious. They are all just nice, hard working people, who deserve to be where they are through hard work and natural ability. That is all.

Quick Reply

Latest