The Student Room Group

grade help!

I got ABC at AS level in the three subjects I'm taking forward and was wondering if it would be worthwhile applying to a couple of unis that asked for ABB still?

I'd be hoping to study International Relations, and was looking at queen mary and southampton as my two ABBs.
Ofcourse, you can easily improve on your grades at A-level, in AS I got a C in chemistry and finished with an A in it at a-level, so it just depends on how much work you want to put in improving them and how confident you are about improving them.

Also alot of universities who offer ABB will accept ABC if they are your firm choice, however you may have to go through clearing.
Hey there,

You have got me all worried I got A (maths) B (sociology) C (Physics) C (history). I am dropping history and picking up AS further maths. Some people say that if I got an A in further maths it would be seen as good as my other a levels as I want to do actuarial science heavily mathematical I am applying for an A*AA uni atm but might change as I could get A* (Maths) A (sociology) A (further maths) but it's a long shot they accept me my lowest one is BBB which i got this year. U would go for less but there are like 9 uni's that do my course. What are your thoughts/advice should I drop sociology/physics and do a whole A level in further maths the grades for each uni are
A*AA
AAA
AAB
AAB
BBB
Original post by Shabaaa
I got ABC at AS level in the three subjects I'm taking forward and was wondering if it would be worthwhile applying to a couple of unis that asked for ABB still?

I'd be hoping to study International Relations, and was looking at queen mary and southampton as my two ABBs.

Yes, If your school will predict ABB or above and they should - work hard and these are achievable grades. You need a couple of choices at grades you are confident of achieving and one lower in case things go badly wrong.

Original post by OwenEllicott
Hey there,

You have got me all worried I got A (maths) B (sociology) C (Physics) C (history). I am dropping history and picking up AS further maths. Some people say that if I got an A in further maths it would be seen as good as my other a levels as I want to do actuarial science heavily mathematical I am applying for an A*AA uni atm but might change as I could get A* (Maths) A (sociology) A (further maths) but it's a long shot they accept me my lowest one is BBB which i got this year. U would go for less but there are like 9 uni's that do my course. What are your thoughts/advice should I drop sociology/physics and do a whole A level in further maths the grades for each uni are
A*AA
AAA
AAB
AAB
BBB

better to start your own thread than hope someone is willing to comment here - but this looks too aspirational, especially with one A level being sociology, which is seen as weak. I'd suggest dropping one of the A*AA and AAA universities and having another at BBB or below. For most subjects a further maths A level would not be counted as a full A level but you need to check for this specific course as it's a heavily mathematical course it may be counted. Doing at least AS further maths is important.
Yes. The worst they can do is say no.
Yeah there are like 8 unis that do my course thats why, which is frustrating, as I am on the cusp of being comfortable
Original post by parentlurker
Yes, If your school will predict ABB or above and they should - work hard and these are achievable grades. You need a couple of choices at grades you are confident of achieving and one lower in case things go badly wrong.

better to start your own thread than hope someone is willing to comment here - but this looks too aspirational, especially with one A level being sociology, which is seen as weak. I'd suggest dropping one of the A*AA and AAA universities and having another at BBB or below. For most subjects a further maths A level would not be counted as a full A level but you need to check for this specific course as it's a heavily mathematical course it may be counted. Doing at least AS further maths is important.

Yeah there are like 8 unis that do my course thats why, which is frustrating, as I am on the cusp of being comfortable.

Yeah if I remember rightly city said that and my maths teacher said it, the one I wanted is Heriot-Watt, which want and they want AAB. Which I should be able to get I think. I think I should be able to get A* in maths, a B in physics, a B/A further maths and B/A sociology
Sorry for posting twice

Quick Reply