The Student Room Group

Resitting Maths GCSE NEED HELP

k

so i got a C in my maths gcse; i want to resit it along with my AS levels so I can at least get a B (most top universities want at least a B for the course I want to study)

i'm gonna get a private tutor to help me... the question is how much time do you think i should devout to my maths GCSE? and when do exams for these resits happen? (like what month?)

I'm doing two 'facilitating subjects' and hope to get AAB-ABB for my A levels but i'm worried my focus on maths gcse may be detrimental to my results.

please help me :/
Different exam boards have different exam times. I'm sure edexcel do november exams. The info is already fresh in your head so it shouldn't take you long. Just do lots and lots of past papers. I think 1 or 2 months would suffice
Reply 2
Original post by Fairytail
k

so i got a C in my maths gcse; i want to resit it along with my AS levels so I can at least get a B (most top universities want at least a B for the course I want to study)

i'm gonna get a private tutor to help me... the question is how much time do you think i should devout to my maths GCSE? and when do exams for these resits happen? (like what month?)

I'm doing two 'facilitating subjects' and hope to get AAB-ABB for my A levels but i'm worried my focus on maths gcse may be detrimental to my results.

please help me :/

Depends on the subjects you do for A levels, if they are maths based then you won't need to spend as much time on maths as if you doing completely unrelated courses

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sit November exams. Use mathswatch for 30 mins a day and you shouldn't have a problem getting a B, if not A/A*. Don't bother with a private tutor. They basically just tell you everything mathswatch does and charge insane hourly rates. This should be manageable as AS' aren't really that serious until after Christmas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Secretnerd123
Different exam boards have different exam times. I'm sure edexcel do november exams. The info is already fresh in your head so it shouldn't take you long. Just do lots and lots of past papers. I think 1 or 2 months would suffice

i feel like i've forgotten already most of what i learnt in maths. i never really consolidated after lessons - i crammed it in the day before the exam...

Original post by Andy98
Depends on the subjects you do for A levels, if they are maths based then you won't need to spend as much time on maths as if you doing completely unrelated courses

Posted from TSR Mobile

im doing all essay based subjects like history... how many hours a day do you recommend me?

just to give you an idea, i hope to revise 3 hours a day (1.5 hours split between 2 AS subjects)

i dont have a job and i dont really do much (since i have to occupy my house to look after my little brother because parents are at work)
Reply 5
Original post by Exceptional
Sit November exams. Use mathswatch for 30 mins a day and you shouldn't have a problem getting a B, if not A/A*. Don't bother with a private tutor. They basically just tell you everything mathswatch does and charge insane hourly rates. This should be manageable as AS' aren't really that serious until after Christmas.

Posted from TSR Mobile

THANK YOU for this.

im doing edexcel maths higher tier, do they do november resits?

and also how do i go about asking to resit my gcse? do i phone up my head of year?
Reply 6
i feel like i've forgotten already most of what i learnt in maths. i never really consolidated after lessons - i crammed it in the day before the exam...

im doing all essay based subjects like history... how many hours a day do you recommend me?

just to give you an idea, i hope to revise 3 hours a day (1.5 hours split between 2 AS subjects)

i dont have a job and i dont really do much (since i have to occupy my house to look after my little brother because parents are at work)

Well I'm probably not the best person to recommend spending time on maths, as I'm naturally good at it, however I would aim to average out at five or six hours a week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
THANK YOU for this.

and also how do i go about asking to resit my gcse? do i phone up my head of year?

Yeah, Edexcel definitely do.

You need to go to the exams office when you start school and ask. They give you a form and a small fee (think it's between £15-£30).

If you have a smartphone/iPad, you can download 4 apps by mathswatch (A*/A-D), which covers everything on the exam.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
THANK YOU for this.

They do November papers - I had to do one earlier in year 11

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Revise. Revise. Repeat. Revise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending