The Student Room Group

Everyone in our year got bad grades for our GCSEs (2014)

Everyone in my school didn't do well in their GCSEs?

Hey guys, I'm a bit frustrated and angry.
I was predicted an A and A* in science then even got an A in my mocks however my results for additional and core are both C. I'm just gutted.
All of the students were literally in tears, we didn't expect anything like this. I've been under my covers trying to think where I went wrong. I worked extremly hard, putting in extra sessions at the library after school also. I have altogether 1A, 3Bs 5Cs and 1D. I wish someone could tell us where we went wrong and for the whole year to have a similar problem is shocking. We thought the whole country was experiencing this however it seems to be only our school going through this tragic situation. What do I do now? I'm not even sure if I am allowed to study Geography, Chemistry, Maths and English lit at my sixth form anymore considering their grade requirements which are B, A, A, B to study them.
Is it generally a poor performing school? I think considering the entire school has done poorly and given your mock results, the sixth form you've applied to should take it into account. Speak to them ASAP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They will likely let you study the subjects you got A/B/B/B in, and would possibly let you study subjects you got C in, when you had your interview for your college did they not send you a letter with an offer saying what you would need from your GCSE's?
Reply 3
Maybe your school just isn't that good? The teachers might have marked the mocks way too high, and given you false expectations.
The boundaries and marking in science have gotten harsher, I was predicted b's but I got both d's.. It devastated me because I revised day and night for science, but I can't do anything now:smile:
Our sixth form which was one of the best in the north east used to let it people with C grades to study a course if they could come to an interview and explain why they think they'll be able to cope.

Usual entry was B minimum though.

Maybe yours has a similar system.

As demonstrated by a guy who got an A* as the 2nd best student at History at GCSE (after me) and then got an E in his January AS level exams...it can go both ways.
(edited 9 years ago)
This year was my final year to achieve English GCSE. I think the examiners are messing up our performance to be able to achieve minimum grade C. When I took mock tests for English GCSE AQA I achieved A's and B's, my teacher was a very strict marker and would not give me extra marks, as she believed it was only fair to give out marks that I had earned throughout my mocks. When I took the exam I was confident, I never really expected a bad grade overall. I collected my results from college yesterday and achieved a D mark; however, I will be having them remarked as soon as possible. This was the only thing that was holding me back from securing a place at University. I was heart broken, and did feel extremely depressed; it felt like it was the end of the world. It's because they are making everything harder each year to make it impossible for students to pass English/Math/ Science - because the job market today is rather competitive.

Do you guys know if I can apeal??
I have gotten offers through clearing for university, but my main problem is finding employment after achieving my degree. What if they ask me if I have English at a C grade? Some say GCSE expire after 4/5 years, and won't really hold any special importance once you have maintained a good degree.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Cherry82

I was predicted an A and A* in science then even got an A in my mocks however my results for additional and core are both C. I'm just gutted.
All of the students were literally in tears, we didn't expect anything like this. I've been under my covers trying to think where I went wrong. I worked extremly hard, putting in extra sessions at the library after school also. I have altogether 1A, 3Bs 5Cs and 1D. I wish someone could tell us where we went wrong and for the whole year to have a similar problem is shocking. We thought the whole country was experiencing this however it seems to be only our school going through this tragic situation. What do I do now? I'm not even sure if I am allowed to study Geography, Chemistry, Maths and English lit at my sixth form anymore considering their grade requirements which are B, A, A, B to study them.

It's not just your school, I did really bad as well I got 1A,4Bs,4Cs and 1D. We were all expecting As and A*s, but have you tried other sixth forms.
Reply 8
Original post by Exceptional
Is it generally a poor performing school? I think considering the entire school has done poorly and given your mock results, the sixth form you've applied to should take it into account. Speak to them ASAP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, that's the thing that's getting everyone confused. Our school isn't a bad school. Last year the grades were quite good.
Reply 9
Original post by BenAssirati
Maybe your school just isn't that good? The teachers might have marked the mocks way too high, and given you false expectations.

Maybe, their students including me all want an explanation but even the teachers seem shocked.
Reply 10
Original post by vickyife
It's not just your school, I did really bad as well I got 1A,4Bs,4Cs and 1D. We were all expecting As and A*s, but have you tried other sixth forms.

Oh, yea I have but they all have either turned me down or replied with the waiting list is long. This is so frustrating.
I just dont see how you could get Ds when you thought you were getting A*s
Reply 12
Original post by ForgottenApple
I just dont see how you could get Ds when you thought you were getting A*s

Not to sound arrogant but that was exactly what I was thinking when I and others opened our results. All the hard work felt as if it went down the drain. At this point I feel like giving up on everything because it doesn't make sense.

Don't worry those are not bad GSCE's .All you should worry about is whats next. Which is sixth form. You can still study those subjects at A-level if you really wanted to. See what your sixth form /college says about you taking up those Subjects and if they refuse there are plenty of other colleges/sixth forms that will still take you in . Maybe think about calling other schools?
What did you get in your maths and English language ? Because really, they are the only important ones you should worry about.
If you haven't got a B in these subjects think about retaking them as they might be needed.
And are you sure you want to take maths and chemistry together? They are both extremely challenging??
Reply 14
If it is that suspicious, you could ask for a remark, which costs an extra fee, of course. If that is the case, I advise you appeal through your school as soon as possible.

I know right i was literally in tears too, so where many more others! I didn't achieve/ get the results i wanted when i knew i should have achieved them... grrr!!! on my mock and past papers i did so well and then i get terrible grades, i was just hoping that it was all a bad dream or a mic up and that everything would be fine, when it isn't! know my chances of doing medicine or dentistry are most likely over! i'm so annoyed and angry, words can't describe how i feel.

Quick Reply

Latest