The Student Room Group

Terrified at the prospect of GCSEs?!

Hello,

My name is Charlotte, I am 14, (going into year 10), and I am desperately in need of some help. I have been dreading my GCSEs for many months now, which doesn't seem to make much sense, considering that I won't take my statistics exam for another year, but yet, I am constantly crippled by this overwhelming anxiety; I keep having recurring thoughts of failing my exams and disappointing my parents, who were both A grade students, (the A* did not exist when they took their exams). I have always done well in school, coming out of year 9 with solid level 7's and 8's in all subjects besides languages and PE, ( which thankfully, I am not taking), yet I still seem to believe that I won't come out of secondary school with anything higher than a B. Worse yet, my cousin got fantastic results today, ( I am super happy for him, of course), and I feel like mine will pale in comparison. I tend to over-think things, which has only caused this problem to worsen. I need help, urgently.

The GCSEs I will be taking include: Maths, English, English Literature, Core Science, Additional Science, Statistics, Religious Studies, Art, Graphics, and History.

If any of you could take the time to offer advice and tips on how I can overcome this anxiety, while achieving top grades, I would be ever so grateful. Anything is gold to me, from revision methods, to achieving high marks in coursework. Also art is definitely a problem, as I fear the workload will become overwhelming over time, so any advice on that would be fantastic too. If you are comfortable with sharing your GCSE results, how many months in advance you revised, and any other details, that would be fantastic, and I would appreciate it so much! I am sorry for waffling on for so long, it is very late and I guess this is a form of venting for me too! Thanks in advance,

Charlotte.
Original post by mychemblink182
Hello,

My name is Charlotte, I am 14, (going into year 10), and I am desperately in need of some help. I have been dreading my GCSEs for many months now, which doesn't seem to make much sense, considering that I won't take my statistics exam for another year, but yet, I am constantly crippled by this overwhelming anxiety; I keep having recurring thoughts of failing my exams and disappointing my parents, who were both A grade students, (the A* did not exist when they took their exams). I have always done well in school, coming out of year 9 with solid level 7's and 8's in all subjects besides languages and PE, ( which thankfully, I am not taking), yet I still seem to believe that I won't come out of secondary school with anything higher than a B. Worse yet, my cousin got fantastic results today, ( I am super happy for him, of course), and I feel like mine will pale in comparison. I tend to over-think things, which has only caused this problem to worsen. I need help, urgently.

The GCSEs I will be taking include: Maths, English, English Literature, Core Science, Additional Science, Statistics, Religious Studies, Art, Graphics, and History.

If any of you could take the time to offer advice and tips on how I can overcome this anxiety, while achieving top grades, I would be ever so grateful. Anything is gold to me, from revision methods, to achieving high marks in coursework. Also art is definitely a problem, as I fear the workload will become overwhelming over time, so any advice on that would be fantastic too. If you are comfortable with sharing your GCSE results, how many months in advance you revised, and any other details, that would be fantastic, and I would appreciate it so much! I am sorry for waffling on for so long, it is very late and I guess this is a form of venting for me too! Thanks in advance,

Charlotte.

Do the homework that is set. Do all the work in lesson. You'll be fine, simple as that for GCSE. If you want to revise, do little bits often rather than in big chunks.
Reply 2
don't worry, gcse's are easy
Reply 3
Other than work hard and do all of the work you are set as soon as possible, I would just say that you should believe in yourself. In two years time you will be going into A-levels and thinking to yourself how easy GCSEs were, and hopefully how well you did in them!

Remember your teachers are there and want more than anything for you to do well, but if you ever need help with English, RS or History feel free to PM me, and remember you have the whole of TSR available to you for any help, just ask and someone will be willing to respond :smile:

Personally I made a mistake and didn't revise at all for my exams, and looking back I regret it a lot. I got:

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Hello,

Charlotte.

Masturbation takes your mind off stress :smile:
Reply 5
I masturbated a lot during my GCSEs and I got 12 A*s and 1 A :smile:
Original post by Sex God
Masturbation takes your mind off stress :smile:

I'm Asexual so not an option, but thanks for the advice nonetheless haha B)
Original post by user1150
don't worry, gcse's are easy

this^
Original post by BenAssirati
Other than work hard and do all of the work you are set as soon as possible, I would just say that you should believe in yourself. In two years time you will be going into A-levels and thinking to yourself how easy GCSEs were, and hopefully how well you did in them!

Remember your teachers are there and want more than anything for you to do well, but if you ever need help with English, RS or History feel free to PM me, and remember you have the whole of TSR available to you for any help, just ask and someone will be willing to respond :smile:

Personally I made a mistake and didn't revise at all for my exams, and looking back I regret it a lot. I got:

Spoiler

Your answer was very helpful, so thank you :biggrin:
I hope they're easy, but apparently they're getting harder every year. I'm going to work my hardest, definitely. I intend to start revising/learning the modules in the next few weeks for statistics and core science so I can get a head start, at least. Again, thank you so much, you have helped a lot!
Reply 9
Hey, I understand that you are worried as GCSEs are the first real exams and it sounds like you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself but firstly try and worry a little less about it, they won't be that bad. GCSE's will seem challenging at the time but they are very easy to do well in. Looking back, I hardly revised for them simply because I didn't know how to properly revise back then, I would only read the books and rarely make notes and in hindsight I could have got much better grades with the revision techniques I know now. So my advice is to read the text books, make notes, and learn the best ways for you to revise (mind maps, using colours, flash cards). Don't get too worked up about getting the best grades as with revision you will do well. You will have a lot of support from school staff and being set regular work to do so make use of your teachers and ask them for help
Your answer was very helpful, so thank you :biggrin:
I hope they're easy, but apparently they're getting harder every year. I'm going to work my hardest, definitely. I intend to start revising/learning the modules in the next few weeks for statistics and core science so I can get a head start, at least. Again, thank you so much, you have helped a lot!

No problem, glad I could help :wink:

One tip: when learning modules/doing past papers, ask your teachers to mark them, or give you tests.
Just wait till you get to A-levels. Just wait.
Original post by sloths
Hey, I understand that you are worried as GCSEs are the first real exams and it sounds like you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself but firstly try and worry a little less about it, they won't be that bad. GCSE's will seem challenging at the time but they are very easy to do well in. Looking back, I hardly revised for them simply because I didn't know how to properly revise back then, I would only read the books and rarely make notes and in hindsight I could have got much better grades with the revision techniques I know now. So my advice is to read the text books, make notes, and learn the best ways for you to revise (mind maps, using colours, flash cards). Don't get too worked up about getting the best grades as with revision you will do well. You will have a lot of support from school staff and being set regular work to do so make use of your teachers and ask them for help

Thank you so much for your helpful response :smile: I will keep all you have said in mind, as I want nothing more than to do well. Hopefully year 10 isn't too hard on me, I'll make sure to keep on top of things, and keep revisiting everything. Thanks again, I appreciate all the responses on this thread :biggrin:
Original post by BenAssirati
No problem, glad I could help :wink:

One tip: when learning modules/doing past papers, ask your teachers to mark them, or give you tests.

I will keep that in mind, thank you :smile:
Original post by Mr...
:hi: Charlotte, if you posted in the Y10 thread then you'd be able to talk to people on the same boat as you! We are all nervous so we can hopefully ease you into the process. Two members from Y11 and Y12 (Black Rose and Vionar) post regularly so you can ask them about the years too come. :biggrin:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2799031

I am new to this site, so I didn't know, but thanks for telling me. I shall check out the Y10 thread :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest