The Student Room Group

I'm 19, Male and Polish... AMA

Bored as **** too, hence the topic. Ask away :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Have you ever been a victim of xenophobia?
Reply 2
Original post by DylanJ96
Have you ever been a victim of xenophobia?

Nope, I haven't.
Original post by Kamil95
Nope, I haven't.

Did you just google xenophobia?
How fast can you recite Chrzaszcz :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by DylanJ96
Did you just google xenophobia?

Not really, I know what it means though. Perhaps I experienced it when I arrived to the UK, not being able to speak the language, but I'd class it as discrimination, rather than xenophobia. I never feared of being foreign. Ever. I'm proud of my origin.

My dad for instance is certain that he is being treated badly all the time, everywhere. Whereas I do not experience discrimination that much anymore. It just turns into banter lol.

Original post by King Max
How fast can you recite Chrzaszcz :wink:

Two seconds :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kamil95
Not really, I know what it means though. Perhaps I experienced it when I arrived to the UK, not being able to speak the language, but I'd class it as discrimination, rather than xenophobia. I never feared of being foreign. Ever. I'm proud of my origin.

My dad for instance is certain that he is being treated badly all the time, everywhere. Whereas I do not experience discrimination that much anymore. It just turns into banter lol.

Two seconds :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

hahaha im like "w....sz..cze....b...rzesz...ynie.........ch..rza..szcz....OH SCREW DIS JA P*****LE!!!!!!!!!
Reply 7
Original post by Kamil95
Bored as **** too, hence the topic. Ask away :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh Poles :smile:
So are you like nationally Polish or racially? I'd like to speak to a white Polish just because Idk any but if you're like Asian immigrant forget it :colonhash:
How old were you when you came to the UK and what were your first impressions?
What are the main differences between Polish and British culture?
Do you think you will stay in the UK forever or can you see yourself living in Poland (or even abroad)?

I love meeting people from different countries and always have lots of nosey questions, haha :tongue:
Reply 9
hahaha im like "w....sz..cze....b...rzesz...ynie.........ch..rza..szcz....OH SCREW DIS JA P*****LE!!!!!!!!!

Lots of practice and patience. It's designed to give you a tongue twist :biggrin:

Original post by ApeMob
Ooh Poles :smile:
So are you like nationally Polish or racially? I'd like to speak to a white Polish just because Idk any but if you're like Asian immigrant forget it :colonhash:

I'm Polish from birth :smile:

Original post by xmarilynx
love meeting people from different countries and always have lots of nosey questions, haha :tongue:

Well, it's interesting to talk to people from different cultures, and countries :smile: I had this Irish gal at my uni halls, and she was really great to talk to.

How old were you when you came to the UK and what were your first impressions?

Funny you should ask this actually, because I ended up in the UK by accident haha. I came to see my dad on a holiday 10 years ago, and we missed the plane, after going out on a trip, and not making it to the airport on time. I couldn't speak any English, just merely a few phrases (so I think I came a long way as I'm fluent now), but I went to a primary school and just got on with life. Eventually, I learned English, made friends, and grew up with Top Gear, Mock of The Week and the likes. I didn't like UK at first, because I was confused, and it was grey and rainy, but I got used to it.

Do you think you will stay in the UK forever or can you see yourself living in Poland (or even abroad)?

I can't ever imagine going back. Although Poland improved economically over the past decade, it's a struggle to get great jobs after graduation. The sad truth is if you have a degree in Poland, you might as well sweep the floor in McDonalds. You need contacts over there. Jobs are fixed in a family environment, at a party or a dinner. "Uncle, I'm looking for a job". "No problem" - he says. We've been pressed by corruption for many years, and that's what bugs me most. Although people back in Poland reckon it's been toned down now largely. I'm now at uni here in the UK, and enjoying my life in Britain :smile:

I go back to Poland for a holiday once in a while. Still sentimental about the childhood I spent there.

What are the main differences between Polish and British culture?

Food, language, mentality, manners, drinking... A lot of things really. Some Polish people come across as nervous and negative, however if you ever get invited to a Polish family for a dinner, you'll always feel incredibly welcome. The reception in Poland is strong. We also believe in superstition. Every Friday 13th, something goes wrong for my dad. But I never believed in those - think it's because I grew up here. We drink a lot of vodka, and we're rude on the roads. Polish language is one of the hardest in the world (apparently).

Some things are similar to the UK though. We get bank holidays, albeit not a lot of them, and we get proms at schools, stag dos, hen dos etc. Days such as Mother's Day fall always on 26 May rather than in March in the case of England. And while you get a pancake day, we get a Fat Thursday, where we just stuff ourselves with doughnuts. Good stuff!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kamil95
And while you get a pancake day, we get a Fat Thursday, where we just stuff ourselves with doughnuts. Good stuff!

That sounds awesome! We should totally introduce that in the UK too :eating:
Reply 11
Do you say Kurwa a lot?
jestesz warszawkiem?
Reply 13
Original post by godd
Do you say Kurwa a lot?

Yup. Or 'Ja pierdole.'

jestesz warszawkiem?

Nie :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
What language do you think in?
Original post by Kamil95
Yup. Or 'Ja pierdole.'

Nie :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

gzie? Kraków? Wroclaw? Gdansk?
Reply 16
That sounds awesome! We should totally introduce that in the UK too :eating:

Absolutely! Start a hashtag on one Thursday, and you're sorted :biggrin:

Original post by godd
What language do you think in?

Both. Depends on the situation. It's strange. But it works.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How much do you polish a week, on average?

Have you always enjoyed keeping things clean and polishing in particular?
Reply 18
gzie? Kraków? Wroclaw? Gdansk?

Near Katowice, down South :biggrin: We even have our own dialect, Silesian. A mixture of Polish, Czech and German. So you could say I speak more than two languages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do polish people despise Muslims?

Quick Reply

Latest