The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Catered, self-catered or both?

This may seem like a stupid question but:

If I apply for accommodation in a hall at UCL that is catered, am I still allowed to self-cater? And achieving this by using the kitchens provided to make my own food when I'm not particularly interested in the food on offer by the catered service?

I was wondering cause it's a difficult choice between choosing accommodation which is catered or self-catered for me/

Thanks
I'm at UCL now but went to Nottingham Uni for a couple of months in 2012 and lived in catered accommodation there, and the little kitchenettes provided were definitely not suitable for cooking other than microwave meals and toast! There was no hob or oven or anything like that. I don't know about the facilities at UCL catered accommodation but I wouldn't suggest going for catered and then self-catering; you might as well head straight for self-catered. In catered halls, the price you pay includes the food, so it would be a waste of money. And just as an extra tip, I was in self-catered halls at UCL this year and preferred it vastly to being catered at Nottingham. I know it's different for everyone, but being catered creates time restrictions (at Notts dinner was served from 5-7 and I sometimes like to have my meals later than that due to other commitments etc.) and I like being able to choose my own food. But catered works for some people who don't have time for cooking and washing up. Personally, I would recommend self-catered though. ^_^
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by jamescbsmith
This may seem like a stupid question but:

If I apply for accommodation in a hall at UCL that is catered, am I still allowed to self-cater? And achieving this by using the kitchens provided to make my own food when I'm not particularly interested in the food on offer by the catered service?

I was wondering cause it's a difficult choice between choosing accommodation which is catered or self-catered for me/

Thanks

From personal experience go self-catered unless you like eating everything from a microwave. As far as I know most of the catered halls do not have real kitchens (with hob etc.) so it is actually quite difficult to cook anything. At the same time depending on how much you eat it is sometimes not worth the money to go catered...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending