The Student Room Group

Is LSE the best for Economics, Business & Management in UK?

The top ranking for Economics has always been a competition amongst Cambridge, Oxford and LSE. But, for business or management, only Oxford and LSE has dedicated undergraduate degrees in management although Cambridge allows students to complete their 3rd year.in management only. So, for business management it would appear that LSE has the upper hand and would appear to be the top business management school in UK. http://www.shanghairanking.com/SubjectEcoBus2014.html
Original post by GandalfWhite
The top ranking for Economics has always been a competition amongst Cambridge, Oxford and LSE. But, for business or management, only Oxford and LSE has dedicated undergraduate degrees in management although Cambridge allows students to complete their 3rd year.in management only. So, for business management it would appear that LSE has the upper hand and would appear to be the top business management school in UK. http://www.shanghairanking.com/SubjectEcoBus2014.html

Maybe so, but business management isn't the most rigorous of courses and Oxbridge don't offer it (fully). LSE certainly is the strongest for postgraduate study but not for undergraduate.
Reply 2
Not in the eyes of some people ... LSE is no8 above LBS and Oxbridge. http://www.businessinsider.my/best-business-schools-mba-2014-7/
Not in the eyes of some people ... LSE is no8 above LBS and Oxbridge. http://www.businessinsider.my/best-business-schools-mba-2014-7/

There's a difference between a business school and undergraduate. I did say that LSE excelled at postgraduate studies, i.e. MBA, but the supervision and teaching system at Oxbridge is unparalleled.
Reply 4
Nobody is questioning the Oxbridge teaching system, it is different and truly special.

Just that since Cambridge does not have a dedicated undergraduate Management degree (not talking about other degrees here) and that Oxford's is an Economics & Management degree, so that will mean LSE is the only one of the 3 with a BSc in Management, and by default, the top management degree in UK, even if it is by default.

Oxford's E&M is already very sought after by employers but its degree scope is different from that of LSE's which is much more focussed on business and management, and not 50% on Economics. It is simply not possible to cover as much nor as wide as LSE on management in the same 3 years.
Nobody is questioning the Oxbridge teaching system, it is different and truly special.

Just that since Cambridge does not have a dedicated undergraduate Management degree (not talking about other degrees here) and that Oxford's is an Economics & Management degree, so that will mean LSE is the only one of the 3 with a BSc in Management, and by default, the top management degree in UK, even if it is by default.

Oxford's E&M is already very sought after by employers but its degree scope is different from that of LSE's which is much more focussed on business and management, and not 50% on Economics. It is simply not possible to cover as much nor as wide as LSE on management in the same 3 years.

Yes, by default, but that's like saying Cambridge is the best in the world for Land Economy.
Reply 6
Original post by Mike_123
Yes, by default, but that's like saying Cambridge is the best in the world for Land Economy.

What's wrong with saying that? It is true right.
What's wrong with saying that? It is true right.

Only 2 universities in the world offer Land Economy
Reply 8
Only 2 universities in the world offer Land Economy

What are you reading at Cambridge? Let me guess .... Land Economy?
What are you reading at Cambridge? Let me guess .... Land Economy?

Actually, I'm about to start economics. I was just pointing out my opinion, no need to get hostile.
Actually, I'm about to start economics. I was just pointing out my opinion, no need to get hostile.

Sorry ... did not mean to sound hostile at all ... was just wondering genuinely ... seems a very interesting course ... best wishes on your Economics course ... know someone going into 3rd year Economics at Cambridge ... enjoy .. :smile: ... all that comes with it
Just btw I also know someone going to 2nd year LSE Management. And coincidentally had dinner last night with an Australian professor teaching International Business in MBA course at a Australian university, and mentioned this perception amongst UK students that business management undergraduate degrees being mickey mouse and not rigorous .... so different from Australian students ....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending