The Student Room Group

Are my results bad for medicine?

Hello there,
so I joined the igcse program in year 11 because I switched schools and I had to catch up on all the year 10 stuff by myself. I received the following results today:

Eng lit : A
Eng lang: A
Maths: B
Science: BC
Spanish: A*
Geo: C
History: B

I am gonna do IB and I want to study medicine...are these results bad?Do they matter to universities? Most of my friends got better results than me and I'm scared that these results will give me a disadvantage when I apply to universities for medicine :/

Thanks a lot! :smile:
Reply 1
Science C??

Nah
I'm afraid with a B and C in science, it doesn't look great, your grades give me the impression that you're great at humanities. Ever thought of a language degree?
Original post by cherry00
Hello there,
so I joined the igcse program in year 11 because I switched schools and I had to catch up on all the year 10 stuff by myself. I received the following results today:

I am gonna do IB and I want to study medicine...are these results bad?Do they matter to universities? Most of my friends got better results than me and I'm scared that these results will give me a disadvantage when I apply to universities for medicine :/

Not really it depends on your a levels, if you do amazing in them then the units will pick you if you don't do well in a levels then they look at GCSEs as well, yours are okay but to get into medicine you have to work hard at a level. You can still do it.
Hello there,

This site is for brutal honest opinions, so really your GCSEs aren't good enough on there own you would need top IB scores and I've heard IB is harder than A levels although.I wouldn't.know

If your committed to medicine and you begin to struggle at IB consider another route into medicine whilst you can or a different career path :/

It's mostly your science grades that are bad most require a B in core and additional science (no resits) you do seem strong at English though.and Spanish?
Original post by PurpleTimz
Not really it depends on your a levels, if you do amazing in them then the units will pick you if you don't do well in a levels then they look at GCSEs as well, yours are okay but to get into medicine you have to work hard at a level. You can still do it.

The guy is doing A levels, did you bother reading his post?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by techno836
This site is for brutal honest opinions,

Honest, yes but no need to be brutal.

Honestly the results are not good and English medical schools do often take GCSEs into account. However you do have some mitigation in switching shools and starting late. You would need excellent IB results and might do better applying after A level. If you are, as I suspect, an international applicant then I would forget uk medical schools and look elsewhere as UK schools have few places for internationals.
Reply 7
Hello there,

Quite simply they arent really good enough/they won't help your application much. Especially the science!
However, if you wait and apply after you get IB grades and do well in that then you have a perfectly good chance at plenty unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thanks everyone
I'm gonna do IB the next 2 years. I'm really gonna work hard to get good IB scores. I'm thinking of letting the science remark...because I'm 10points away from a BB. Is that reasonable?
Thanks for all the honest replies :smile:
Original post by Med_medine
The guy is doing A levels, did you bother reading his post?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Must have misread it, no need to be rude 😒
Original post by PurpleTimz
Must have misread it, no need to be rude 😒

Not being rude,it was a genuine question.

Why did you take it that way?

Honest people see honesty in others, did I just hit a nerve?

Quick Reply