The Student Room Group

I don't know if my grades are good enough for Medicine?

Well I got my results today and ended up getting
1A*
6As
3Bs
1C (French)
I want to study medicine (partly because chemistry and biology are the only subjects I don't hate yet and partly because most of my family are doctors) but after seeing everyone else's grades I feel like I've really underperformed considering the fact that it's a very competitive course.

The thing is I don't even mind what uni I study it at. As long as I'm studying it.
Do I have any realistic chance of studying medicine at any uni at all? I need to know by the 28th because my a level options are tailor made around it and if there's no chance I might as well change them. I already know there's no point in even applying to oxbridge but I just wanted to check if I have at chance at any others :confused:

*I got an A in all the science subjects, B in English and A* in maths.
Also my A level options are maths chemistry biology physics
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Not really
Original post by Lawliettt
1A*
6As
3Bs
1C (French)
I want to study medicine (partly because chemistry and biology are the only subjects I don't hate yet and partly because most of my family are doctors) but after seeing everyone else's grades I feel like I've really underperformed considering the fact that it's a very competitive course.

The thing is I don't even mind what uni I study it at. As long as I'm studying it.
Do I have any realistic chance of studying medicine at any uni at all? I need to know by the 28th because my a level options are tailor made around it and if there's no chance I might as well change them. I already know there's no point in even applying top oxbridge but I just wanted to check if I have at chance at any others :confused:

You're rather lucky it's morning and I Cba to.nasty

So my honest opinion is that if you don't mind what uni you go to then you'll be fine you'll meet the minimum requirement for GCSE

However it's not particularly important as your As levels will overwrite it so.make.sure you get 4 As and a good UKCAT score and you'll be fine if you apply smartly
Original post by techno836
You're rather lucky it's morning and I Cba to.nasty

So my honest opinion is that if you don't mind what uni you go to then you'll be fine you'll meet the minimum requirement for GCSE

However it's not particularly important as your As levels will overwrite it so.make.sure you get 4 As and a good UKCAT score and you'll be fine if you apply smartly

why would you be nasty to someone asking a simple question? does being an ass pay well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Waka Flocka
why would you be nasty to someone asking a simple question? does being an ass pay well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not because I'm a nasty person but there are soon many of these threads and OP could just search those

Also I think.if you.unsure on medicine.it's probably not for you

And it's morning and I'm.normally.moody.in a morning :smile: but hey I was nice this morning, this person generally wanted advice and I.gave her my best honest advice? Is there a problem? I thought it seemed.genuine
Don't study a subject because your family did! Medicine is a really hard degree and you need to be committed to studying for years.
Reply 6
Original post by JamesJones777
Don't study a subject because your family did! Medicine is a really hard degree and you need to be committed to studying for years.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to study it. I just wanted to know whether or not
I should change my a level options because of my gcse results (or even re sit a few). Honeslty there'd be no point of taking 3 sciences if I had 0 chance of getting into any uni at all so I just wanted opinions
Reply 7
1A*
6As
3Bs
1C (French)

Do I have any realistic chance of studying medicine at any uni at all? I need to know by the 28th because my a level options are tailor made around it and if there's no chance I might as well change them. I already know there's no point in even applying top oxbridge but I just wanted to check if I have at chance at any others :confused:

Your gcse's would give you a shot in some places providing you've got a great ukcat and your personal statement is good. So it's time to go all out on the voluntary work.
However as some others have pointed out don't apply if you don't really really want it, having family who're doctors won't be a good enough reason at interview. Keep in mind that 65-70% of people don't get a single offer so don't waste a year applying for something which you're statistically unlikely to get a place on unless you actually want it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
To get into Birmingham you need 8 A* so that options already closed. Many universities also ask for all A and A* grades or and average of an A grade. Some less prestigious universities only ask for 5 A* to C grades but will still use your gcses if they are unsure on which applicant to accept. If you still want to do medicine you will need very good a level grades and a load of work experience to make sure you stand out
1A*
6As
3Bs
1C (French)

Do I have any realistic chance of studying medicine at any uni at all? I need to know by the 28th because my a level options are tailor made around it and if there's no chance I might as well change them. I already know there's no point in even applying to oxbridge but I just wanted to check if I have at chance at any others :confused:

You're almost fine because you have A in science and A* in Maths. English is fine too I think, but I'd check individual unis for requirements. If you don't mind what uni you do Med at, then you're okay. Oxford is out of the question, they place emphasis on GCSEs.

Get atleast one A* at A-Levels but the more the better. Aim high. A-Levels are much more important anyway :smile: As is gaining work experience and doing a bunch of volunteering.

At your age, you should try St.John's Ambulance or British Red Cross for volunteering. St.John's might be better because you can be a Cadet and can count as long-term.
Original post by Musicalmedicine
To get into Birmingham you need 8 A* so that options already closed. Many universities also ask for all A and A* grades or and average of an A grade. Some less prestigious universities only ask for 5 A* to C grades but will still use your gcses if they are unsure on which applicant to accept. If you still want to do medicine you will need very good a level grades and a load of work experience to make sure you stand out

No you don't, stop spouting bull****.

OP, your GCSEs are fine for medicine, obviously you'll have to avoid a few medical schools (e.g. Oxford, Birmingham). This will tell you where your GCSEs are good enough for: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

There is a lot more to a medicine application: AAA+ predictions for A2, entrance exam, personal statement (motivation, insight, work exp, voluntary work, extracurriculars) and academic reference. Doing medicine just because you don't hate science, and your parents being doctors isn't a great reason to pursue a very demanding and competitive course, you should really try and investigate a medical career before you set your heart on it.
If I'm being honest I'd say for medicine you should kind of be looking at 6A*+... It's not about meeting the minimum requirement but being able to hold your ground against all the clever dicks that get 10A*s etc. For example I think Cambridge want 5Cs at GCSE for medicine but everyone usually ends up having 11A*s etc.

I'm not saying completely rethink your career but just keep it in mind. If you get amazing AS and A2 results and a good UKCAT I think you stand a good chance but, from my point of view anyway, medicine is one of those courses where you can never be too competitive and everything. :P Good luck!!
TBH I don't think your grades will be good enough. Most strong medicine applicants have a string of A*s and As so you would be at a disadvantage there. Also, getting an A in Biology and Chemistry, the most important subjects to study for a Medicine degree, doesn't show the best aptitude for the subject. My school produced statistics for those who had As at GCSE in the sciences, wanted to study them at A level, and their results at A level in Biology/Chemistry/Physics.... nearly all of them got Bs or less. So being truthful I don't think those grades give you a good chance. All medicine applicants should be absolutely dedicated... it's a long journey of serious hard work through uni and training afterwards until you finally get there. It has to be what you want to do for your job for pretty much all your professional life.
ridiculous you need numerous A* for medicine.... should get in with a btec IMO. Who do they think we are. *kissing my teeth*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest