The Student Room Group

Did really bad in gcses I don't know if my grades are good enough to study law

Scroll to see replies

Don't worry about it kidda, the results you've got are good anyway.
Colleges and Unis don't really care about GCSE's unless it's English and Maths and even if you can't get into Law you can do BTEC Law which is pretty much the same syllabus as A level.

I got C's, E's and D's in my GCSE's and I got sent for interview for Cambridge Uni (the art school mind you but ya know, don't lose hope and all that)
Original post by vickyife
Like I said in the title I did really bad in my gcses wondering if I can still study law.

I got:

A in history

Bs in Biology, Physics, English Literature and Maths

Cs in English Language, Chemistry, Environmental and Land-Based Science and Business Studies(Really surprised about that one because in my mock I got A*, but a lot of people in my class who also got A*s got Cs as well).

Lastly I got a D in French my worst subject.

I picked History, English Literature, Business Studies and Psychology for my A-Levels. I was just wondering are my grades really bad for law .I don't want to study at Oxbridge because I know with these grades they won't even look at my application.

Lol are you kidding me? Those are some amazing grades if you wanna study law. Guess what..my cousin got like 1A, Some Bs, Cs and Ds, and now he is in University doing law getting FIRST! If he could do it I'm sure you can to. Btw he goes to the Uni of Wolverhampton and he told me that it is REALLY good for law. So chill out!
Original post by ~ Aquamarine ~
Your GCSEs are ok, if you get good A level grades then you should be able to apply to loads of good universities for Law. However can i ask why are you only studying 3 A levels? As many people study 4 for AS and then drop one for A2 :redface:

Okay thank you & in my school you have to choose between these boxes and I wanted to do RS and History but they clashed therefore I chose 3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by laurenatlantic
Don't worry about it kidda, the results you've got are good anyway.
Colleges and Unis don't really care about GCSE's unless it's English and Maths and even if you can't get into Law you can do BTEC Law which is pretty much the same syllabus as A level.

I got C's, E's and D's in my GCSE's and I got sent for interview for Cambridge Uni (the art school mind you but ya know, don't lose hope and all that)

OMG really? I don't understand the art school mind bit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stressedgirl129
OMG really? I don't understand the art school mind bit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I was unsuccessful in the end but I had other offers anyway :P
Well it's the art school but it's tied to the university because cambridge university is like law,english all the traditional degree subjects and art school is looked on as not proper degrees

Don't worry about it, you might even find that the BTEC is way easier and practical than an a level where you just piss about for half the year
Reply 25
Original post by KittyRe-play
Lol are you kidding me? Those are some amazing grades if you wanna study law. Guess what..my cousin got like 1A, Some Bs, Cs and Ds, and now he is in University doing law getting FIRST! If he could do it I'm sure you can to. Btw he goes to the Uni of Wolverhampton and he told me that it is REALLY good for law. So chill out!

Thanks for the reassurance:-)
They're absolutely fine!

Just make sure you ace your A-levels and you'll be more than attractive to any law school.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by TurboCretin
For aspiring lawyers, those bits of paper are actually very important.

Not neccessarily as there are people with worst grades than this who still got in to sttudy law.:smile:
Original post by vickyife
Very true grades aren't every thing I'll just take this as a lesson and try harder in my a-levels :smile:

That is the pure truth and don't let anyone brainwash you to make you think otherwise. You can still make something good out of your life without having the best grades in life.:smile:
why do you think you'll want to study law when you're this young? I went down that same blissful-ignorance road and it didn't serve me well. law is a boring subject and it takes a rare person to enjoy it.
There's a lot of BS in this thread, I'm sorry to say.

No, your GCSEs haven't doomed you to be unable to study law. However, it's also not true that they don't matter at all and you aren't defined by a piece of paper and all this.

If you do really well at A-Level you might get into a really good University for law (though probably not Oxbridge), after which point your GCSEs will possibly stop being a problem. However, not many people go from average GCSE grades to great A-Levels so statistically speaking it is unlikely that this will happen.

I'm not saying that you won't be able to get in to a a Law school. In fact, you will probably what ever your grades are, but all Law Schools are not equal and you have to take this into account. Sorry to be such a wet blanket but it's actually kind of unfair what many of the people in this thread are doing. It is nice to know that you still have a chance, but you also need to be aware that a realistic chance will require really hard work at A-Levels and really good grades.
Original post by German123
Not neccessarily as there are people with worst grades than this who still got in to sttudy law.:smile:

That doesn't mean the grades aren't important. These people succeed in spite of grades which they've compensated for in other ways, not because the grades don't matter.

Please also note I said 'aspiring lawyers', which means I am taking a longer-term view than just university.
That doesn't mean the grades aren't important. These people succeed in spite of grades which they've compensated for in other ways, not because the grades don't matter.

Please also note I said 'aspiring lawyers', which means I am taking a longer-term view than just university.

Hey relax as i see your point and i am looking into law too. what i said is some what true imo.:smile:
Original post by KrisCussans
GCSEs in English and maths at minimum C, everything else isn't a big deal unless it is Oxbridge. Your A-levels are way more important, you can still get into a top twenty or thirty university.

It really depresses me that some people think that a student can make good progress at Law without an absolutely flawless grasp of and considerable natural ability with the written English language. There is probably no other field where command of English at a very high level is more important.
Original post by Old_Simon
It really depresses me that some people think that a student can make good progress at Law without an absolutely flawless grasp of and considerable natural ability with the written English language. There is probably no other field where command of English at a very high level is more important.

English gcse isn't just about writing flawlessly, the content is marked too. For example, I got a B for English GCsE a few years back & I had the best written personal statement and all my essays were flawlessly written in other subjects. So just because someone isn't good at analysing poetry or whatever, doesn't mean they don't have an impeccable grasp of written English.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by German123
Hey relax as i see your point and i am looking into law too. what i said is some what true imo.:smile:

I am relaxed - I know my responses might appear abrasive but I'm just being forthright. As someone who has more or less been there and done that, I'm just letting you know that grades are important in law (as a career), regardless of the outliers you might know who got training contracts without them, or others studying law at ex-polytechnics who face long odds of ever practising outside the high street.

As advice on maintaining a healthy self-image and distinguishing your achievements from your worth as a person, your advice was fine. But it isn't sound advice when applied to the context of someone looking to study law, and who might decide to be a lawyer. In that context it's simply irresponsible in my opinion.
(edited 9 years ago)
I am relaxed - I know my responses might appear abrasive but I'm just being forthright. As someone who has more or less been there and done that, I'm just letting you know that grades are important in law (as a career), regardless of the outliers you might know who got training contracts without them, or others studying law at ex-polytechnics who face long odds of ever practising outside the high street.

As advice on maintaining a healthy self-image and distinguishing your achievements from your worth as a person, your advice was fine. But it isn't sound advice when applied to the context of someone looking to study law, and who might decide to be a lawyer. In that context it's simply irresponsible in my opinion.

That is your opinion so fair enough. May i ask what intrest you in law?
Original post by einnap101
English gcse isn't just about writing flawlessly, the content is marked too. For example, I got a B for English GCsE a few years back & I had the best written personal statement and all my essays were flawlessly written in other subjects. So just because someone isn't good at analysing poetry or whatever, doesn't mean they don't have an impeccable grasp of written English.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes but any potential law student with any kind of attitude that a C in English is fine is on the wrong lines. Your experience is not relevant.
Original post by Old_Simon
Yes but any potential law student with any kind of attitude that a C in English is fine is on the wrong lines. Your experience is not relevant.

LOL your attitude is not relevant. GCSE English doesn't JUST TEST THE ABILITY TO WRITE PROPERLY which is why some people don't do as well as they would have if it was just to write an essay about anything they want. They might not be happy with it, but it won't hinder their chances of doing well.

God people on here are actually unbelievable.
Original post by einnap101
LOL your attitude is not relevant. GCSE English doesn't JUST TEST THE ABILITY TO WRITE PROPERLY which is why some people don't do as well as they would have if it was just to write an essay about anything they want. They might not be happy with it, but it won't hinder their chances of doing well.

God people on here are actually unbelievable.

Yes you are - unbelievable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending