The Student Room Group

Did really bad in gcses I don't know if my grades are good enough to study law

Like I said in the title I did really bad in my gcses wondering if I can still study law.

I got:

A in history

Bs in Biology, Physics, English Literature and Maths

Cs in English Language, Chemistry, Environmental and Land-Based Science and Business Studies(Really surprised about that one because in my mock I got A*, but a lot of people in my class who also got A*s got Cs as well).

Lastly I got a D in French my worst subject.

I picked History, English Literature, Business Studies and Psychology for my A-Levels. I was just wondering are my grades really bad for law .I don't want to study at Oxbridge because I know with these grades they won't even look at my application.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I got worse GCSE's than you and I'm starting Law next month. It honestly doesn't matter, as long as you have C or above in English, Maths & Science, then you're set. To put it simply lool
Reply 2
Original post by einnap101
I got worse GCSE's than you and I'm starting Law next month. It honestly doesn't matter, as long as you have C or above in English, Maths & Science, then you're set. To put it simply lool

Oh wow thank you:redface: thought I couldn't study it anymore because competition is high in courses like law.
Original post by vickyife
Oh wow thank you:redface: thought I couldn't study it anymore because competition is high in courses like law.

It's not as competitive as they say to GET INTO uni, it's competitive once you leave and try to find training. But actually getting in is pretty easy. My ex got A* at GCSE and D's at A-Level and got in (pretty **** uni, but still got in), now he's got a training contract & nearly qualified. So it's not the be all and end all. Just get good A-Levels to match.
Reply 4
It's not as competitive as they say to GET INTO uni, it's competitive once you leave and try to find training. But actually getting in is pretty easy. My ex got A* at GCSE and D's at A-Level and got in (pretty **** uni, but still got in), now he's got a training contract & nearly qualified. So it's not the be all and end all. Just get good A-Levels to match.

Hopefully I will get good A-Levels and thanks for giving me some reassurance!!:biggrin:
Like I said in the title I did really bad in my gcses wondering if I can still study law.

I got:

A in history

Cs in English Language, Chemistry, Environmental and Land-Based Science and Business Studies(Really surprised about that one because in my mock I got A*, but a lot of people in my class who also got A*s got Cs as well).

I picked History, English Literature, Business Studies and Psychology for my A-Levels. I was just wondering are my grades really bad for law .I don't want to study at Oxbridge because I know with these grades they won't even look at my application.

You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it
Reply 6
Original post by German123
You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Very true grades aren't every thing I'll just take this as a lesson and try harder in my a-levels :smile:
Original post by German123

For aspiring lawyers, those bits of paper are actually very important.

I got:

A in history

You will need to put your GCSE grades down on applications to law firms - be aware of that. The subjects you've picked for A-level look good, but you will need to work very hard and ensure you get predicted (and achieve) AAA.
Original post by TurboCretin
You will need to put your GCSE grades down on applications to law firms - be aware of that. The subjects you've picked for A-level look good, but you will need to work very hard and ensure you get predicted (and achieve) AAA.

Not everyone who wants to STUDY law, actually wants to go INTO a career in Law. Just saying.

Law firms would actually care more about how much experience you've done, as opposed to the GCSE grades you got when you were 15/16. Also, it's about who you know too.
Reply 10

I got:

A in history

You can study law at the majority of unis so they won't prevent you getting in. I don't know specifics but they may prevent you going to some top unis, however I'm sure good a levels results could rectify that.
Or you do another degree and ace it then do a law conversion at a top place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Well you won't go oxbridge, just look a little lower down but I'm sure a lot of good universities don't even look at GCSEs if you can get the requisite A levels.
Hi there, for my Gcse I got
2 A's - RS & Art
2B's - History and English Lit
7C's - Eng Lang, Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, German, General Studies

For my a level I chose to do History Law and Psychology.

What unis would accept me to do Law??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not everyone who wants to STUDY law, actually wants to go INTO a career in Law. Just saying.

Law firms would actually care more about how much experience you've done, as opposed to the GCSE grades you got when you were 15/16. Also, it's about who you know too.

Of course not, although I am sure someone of OP's age would like to know what they can do to keep that option open, should they decide that a career in law is for them.

Of course experience is important to firms, but so are academic credentials. Firms don't set grade boundaries for GCSEs, so there's everything to play for, but I think it is worth OP knowing that law firms will see these grades on her applications in three or four years' time, should she decide to make them. That way, she can set about performing well enough in her A-levels and the first year of her degree to assuage any doubts about her academic abilities.

I hope that makes sense.
Reply 14

Do I have to put all my grades down and I know I have to work hard these results was like a wake up call for me. :redface:
Do I have to put all my grades down and I know I have to work hard these results was like a wake up call for me. :redface:

Yes. When you're applying to law firms (big ones, anyway) you usually do it via an online system. One tab on this system is dedicated to your GCSEs, another to your A-levels and ASs, and another to your degree results (including a full breakdown of your individual module scores). Full disclosure is expected for these.

The important thing to take away from this is that, as far as applications to law firms is concerned, you still have time to strive for better. Firms don't have specific requirements for GCSEs, but if you want to give yourself the best chances you will need AAB minimum at A-level. In order to contrast with your GCSEs, I think preferably you would get at least AAA.

When it comes to A-levels, working smart is as important as working hard. Get hold of copies of the exam specification so you know right from the beginning how your exam answers will be assessed. This should help guide your learning and revision, and will keep you motivated in the knowledge that you're on track. Also, get as much feedback from your teachers as possible about how to improve. Not only may this help your work, it will help your teachers to see that you're serious about doing well, and this will make it easier to convince them to predict you high grades for your A2s. As universities give offers based on these predictions, they're important.
(edited 9 years ago)
GCSEs in English and maths at minimum C, everything else isn't a big deal unless it is Oxbridge. Your A-levels are way more important, you can still get into a top twenty or thirty university.
Reply 17
Yes. When you're applying to law firms (big ones, anyway) you usually do it via an online system. One tab on this system is dedicated to your GCSEs, another to your A-levels and ASs, and another to your degree results (including a full breakdown of your individual module scores). Full disclosure is expected for these.

The important thing to take away from this is that, as far as applications to law firms is concerned, you still have time to strive for better. Firms don't have specific requirements for GCSEs, but if you want to give yourself the best chances you will need AAB minimum at A-level. In order to contrast with your GCSEs, I think preferably you would get at least AAA.

When it comes to A-levels, working smart is as important as working hard. Get hold of copies of the exam specification so you know right from the beginning how your exam answers will be assessed. This should help guide your learning and revision, and will keep you motivated in the knowledge that you're on track. Also, get as much feedback from your teachers as possible about how to improve. Not only may this help your work, it will help your teachers to see that you're serious about doing well, and this will make it easier to convince them to predict you high grades for your A2s. As universities give offers based on these predictions, they're important.

Okay thanks for the help
Reply 18
Original post by KrisCussans
GCSEs in English and maths at minimum C, everything else isn't a big deal unless it is Oxbridge. Your A-levels are way more important, you can still get into a top twenty or thirty university.

Okay thanks
Original post by Stressedgirl129
Hi there, for my Gcse I got
2 A's - RS & Art
2B's - History and English Lit
7C's - Eng Lang, Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, German, General Studies

For my a level I chose to do History Law and Psychology.

What unis would accept me to do Law??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your GCSEs are ok, if you get good A level grades then you should be able to apply to loads of good universities for Law. However can i ask why are you only studying 3 A levels? As many people study 4 for AS and then drop one for A2 :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending