The Student Room Group

Should I go to my insurance or re-sit and take a gap year?

I am still undecided on whether I should go to university this year or not. I didn't get into my firm Bristol for Politics but instead got into Southampton. I even missed my grade to get into southampton - they were asking for ABB but I achieved ABC.

The problem is that I don't really want to go to southampton. I didn't really like it there when i visited it and i made the silly mistake of just putting it as my insurance as it was asking for the lowest grades.

I am thinking of taking a gap year where I will re-sit some of my modules and then re-apply for next year instead. My only worry is whether universities will reject me on the basis that I'm a re-sitter and have longer to take my a-levels. Will they even give me an offer with my current grades (ABC) if I'm applying to universities that are asking for AAA. I want to re-apply to Bristol and also Kings, but again, not sure whether they dislike re-sitters or not.

I really don't know what to do :frown: Should I just count myself lucky that I got into Uni and go, or should I take the risk and re-apply for next year with better A-levels?
I would re-apply, there is little point in going to a university you feel certain you would dislike.
Original post by Clytemnestra
I am still undecided on whether I should go to university this year or not. I didn't get into my firm Bristol for Politics but instead got into Southampton. I even missed my grade to get into southampton - they were asking for ABB but I achieved ABC.

The problem is that I don't really want to go to southampton. I didn't really like it there when i visited it and i made the silly mistake of just putting it as my insurance as it was asking for the lowest grades.

I am thinking of taking a gap year where I will re-sit some of my modules and then re-apply for next year instead. My only worry is whether universities will reject me on the basis that I'm a re-sitter and have longer to take my a-levels. Will they even give me an offer with my current grades (ABC) if I'm applying to universities that are asking for AAA. I want to re-apply to Bristol and also Kings, but again, not sure whether they dislike re-sitters or not.

I really don't know what to do :frown: Should I just count myself lucky that I got into Uni and go, or should I take the risk and re-apply for next year with better A-levels?

£9000 is a lot to be paying to go to a uni you won't enjoy. Lots of people take gap years to re-sit and you could use some of the year to earn money/ travel as well. Maybe call up the unis and ask their view on re-sitters
They aren't going to look at you differently for resitting at all. If anything it is going to show that you were mature and considered what was best.

Don't go to University you are pretty sure you don't want to. Take the time to sort your grades out and whatever else you fancy during the time - reapply in plenty of time and look forward to going somewhere you can imagine yourself for 3 years.
I'm going Southampton for Politics (thinking of changing to IR though :tongue: )

Honestly you shouldn't go somewhere you don't truly want to go, as it's 3 years and will probably impact your grades if you are not happy. Universities shouldn't look down on module resits, lots of people do them, so should be fine :redface:
Reply 5
i would re sit and then re apply cause there is no point going to a university that you aren't completely happy with
Reply 6
Re-sit definitely
I had the same idea, I was unsure. I made a post on here too and people told me to just go, going through another year of A levels isn't worth it tbh, do what you want to do at Uni. Focus on one subject instead of 3-5 subjects.
But if you're completely not happy then don't go, didn't read that bit whoops
Okay thank you guys for the advice! I am going to call Southampton tomorrow and tell them that I no longer want to attend and then take a gap year! It will be difficult I think to stay motivated and seeing all my friends going away and making new friends etc but I know it will benefit me in the long run! Plus I'll be much happier :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I would re-sit in your position, most unis don't really mind if you take 3 years to do your A levels. I know plenty of people who took three years to do their A levels and secure places at UCL etc. Politics should be okay, I know that if you were looking to do medicine then that would be a different story. But if you really don't want to go to Southampton then retake the year and apply again. Lots of people at my course took three years to do their A levels.
Whatever you choose, good luck.

hey you should look at my posts... im in the exact same position i missed my firm offer, got lower than insurance requirements but they still let me in. I know i could have done much better, and don't want to go to my insurance choice... one difference between me and you is i will most probably redo the year as a full time student (in school for majority of time)... my parents said either go uni or go back to school full time:colondollar:
i called a few unis but they didnt give me definite answers on if they give offers to 3 year candidates... do you know if oxford/imperial will consider you if you had a family issues at the time?... i now have to convince the school to let me back do you know anything i could say?.. why dont you want to stay ins school?
(edited 9 years ago)
If you really don't want to go, don't go. You'll pay £9k a year and be there for 3 years; you want to enjoy it, not resent the fact that you didn't try again at a university you actually like.

This is interesting for me as I was in your position. I was offered ABB for American Studies at my firm, and BBB for the same course at my insurance. I ended up getting BBE and literally as I was reading my results I swore I would retake my exams, get a job and apply next year.
But then my politics teacher said to me 'your insurance isn't that bad, you should think about it before you go rejecting it'. So I politely but forcefully explained that my firm was my dream and if I couldn't have my firm I didn't want anything.

She then hit me with some logistics.

The offer I received this year would be likely to go up because I would be retaking. Unis often expect more of retake applicants, which is fair enough because in theory you've put more work in. Coupled with the fact the politics teaching at my college was up in the air, it wasn't practical for me to resit the year.

I'm now headed off to my insurance, Essex, in October, and I couldn't be happier. When I looked around at the Open Day, I was in a meh place. The course was ok, the accommodation was nice, but it wasn't my firm. To be honest, like you, I only picked Essex as an insurance because all 4 of the other offers were asking for the higher grades (in my case they all wanted ABB).

Additionally, have you considered accepting your insurance and transferring to your firm in second year? If you work hard and there are spaces, you might be accepted in.

This is all a very long winded way of saying that I wouldn't write off your insurance, and that you can probably even technically go as far as arrivals day and drop out if you're truly not feeling it.

Good luck with everything! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
This is what I would do. First GO and see the people at your firm. Express your desire to go there come what may - ask them would you be at any disadvantage if you reapply. If they don't respect your commitment to go there and offer you encouragement to reapply you could be wasting your time.

GO and see Southampton again - its not a bad Uni - you could do a LOT worse. Talk to some people there. Before you go jot down what you don't like about it and critically examine whether you reached the right conclusion. We often go on first impressions and sometimes things that we worry about an inconsequential. You are probably having a "second best" feeling - it is quite usual but often its just in your head.

At the end of the day only you can decide. Sometimes people get too hung up about tables etc - there is no difference between no 10 and 15. There is a big difference between no 3 and 74!
Reply 15

Just out of interest as someone who's interested in applying to Southampton, what didn't you like about it if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I took a gap year last year with the aim to resit, however, it didn't quite work out the way I had originally planned. Both of my exam centres fell through last minute, and I ended up unable to sit any of the exams or submit coursework.... I felt left out and constantly bored, day time tv gets boring pretty quickly. My advice is, if you're sure you don't want to go to Southampton, ensure you have an exam centre now, and remember that the government have changed the rules about resists. Either try to enrole in a local college or find a part time job to give your self something to pass the time.
Original post by shansmarticle
I took a gap year last year with the aim to resit, however, it didn't quite work out the way I had originally planned. Both of my exam centres fell through last minute, and I ended up unable to sit any of the exams or submit coursework.... I felt left out and constantly bored, day time tv gets boring pretty quickly. My advice is, if you're sure you don't want to go to Southampton, ensure you have an exam centre now, and remember that the government have changed the rules about resists. Either try to enrole in a local college or find a part time job to give your self something to pass the time.

What do you mean by this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending