The Student Room Group

How many different universities can you apply to?

Hi :smile: I'm pretty sure the title says it all. I'm just confused about whether its different courses you apply for from just one or two unis or generally the same course for different universities
In your initial application you can apply for between one and five courses. These can be all at different universities (most typically) or, at the other extreme (and very rarely), all at the same university.

Admissions tutors are keen to see enthusiasm for the subject you wish to study and this is hard to do when you are applying for several different subjects, so that is not a recommended strategy.
Reply 2
Original post by Good bloke
In your initial application you can apply for between one and five courses. These can be all at different universities (most typically) or, at the other extreme (and very rarely), all at the same university.

Admissions tutors are keen to see enthusiasm for the subject you wish to study and this is hard to do when you are applying for several different subjects, so that is not a recommended strategy.

Thanks for your reply :smile:, I'm glad to hear that as I was worried you could only apply to two universities with different courses whereas I want to apply for the same course at different universities
Original post by fizzpop76
Thanks for your reply :smile:, I'm glad to hear that as I was worried you could only apply to two universities with different courses whereas I want to apply for the same course at different universities

Don't know where you heard that. FWIW, in the days when you had six choices, my son applied for 3 closely related ones all at the same university and got all 3 of them, but it's a high risk strategy and I wouldn't recommend it.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Don't know where you heard that. FWIW, in the days when you had six choices, my son applied for 3 closely related ones all at the same university and got all 3 of them, but it's a high risk strategy and I wouldn't recommend it.

I told her. And I would have gotten away with it too....
Original post by ByronicHero
I told her. And I would have gotten away with it too....

Hello. Long time, no see.:smile:
Hello. Long time, no see.:smile:

I was drunk and bought a sub so now I feel compelled to make use of it.

How're you? :smile:
I was drunk and bought a sub so now I feel compelled to make use of it.

How're you? :smile:

I'm good, ta. And you? (Mustn't derail this thread, though. I have to police these things now.)
Reply 8

I didn't specifically hear it from anywhere but when i typed in google 'how many universities can you apply to on ucas' it came up with this

This is an internal agreement between the two universities which is enforced by UCAS. For most universities, you can apply for as many courses as you desire (although it is recommended you only apply for a maximum of 2-3 courses at any one university), except for Oxbridge where you may only apply for a single course.
UCAS - The Student Room
www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UCAS

I didn't really get what it meant so I thought I would post a thread to find out
I'm good, ta. And you? (Mustn't derail this thread, though. I have to police these things now.)

Haha you are now the enemy :moon:

I'm grand thanks. I shall away before you have to give me a warning (I assume they still exist?).
It's all a question of balance. As Good Bloke says, you need to show enthusiasm for the course and it's hard to do that if you are claiming to be equally keen on politics and chemistry. Closely related courses are fine, and my son applied for 3 varieties of English, but that is a bit of a waste of slots, because universities will often offer you a slightly different course anyway if you don't make it to the original one. (Of course, your kids don't ask for help in these matters, or I would have told him...)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fizzpop76
I didn't specifically hear it from anywhere but when i typed in google 'how many universities can you apply to on ucas' it came up with this

This is an internal agreement between the two universities which is enforced by UCAS. For most universities, you can apply for as many courses as you desire (although it is recommended you only apply for a maximum of 2-3 courses at any one university), except for Oxbridge where you may only apply for a single course.
UCAS - The Student Room
www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UCAS

I didn't really get what it meant so I thought I would post a thread to find out

Well, what you quoted is a reference to the agreement between Oxford and Cambridge that you can only apply to one course at either of those universities (apart from some very rare exceptions which needn't concern us here).
Haha you are now the enemy :moon:

I'm grand thanks. I shall away before you have to give me a warning (I assume they still exist?).

Never an enemy, I hope. Yes, they do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending